PDA

View Full Version : Car won't switch off

G19RNT
29th November 2011, 08:25 PM
Hi guys got a couple of problems I could do with your expert opinions on my 56 plate mini cooper wouldnt start after work today so luckily I had jump leads and we jump started it but I noticed the brake lights were on when the ignition was off and a colleague also said he noticed them on in the afternoon but once the car was started they went off so I headed home only to find it would not switch off even with the key turned to off so I called a mechanic friend of mine and typical it switched off first time any ideas?also both passenger footwells are soaking with water any ideas what the problem could be?

GCA3N
29th November 2011, 09:17 PM
water has certainly got into the electrics. There is a plug in connector at the top of the break pedal maybe water ingress there. Either way water in the electrics can cause loads of problems.

G19RNT
29th November 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi certainly seems electrical it's very strange the water is only on the passengers side but I would say the problem is getting worse as there seems more water in the last couple of days it's going into the garage tomorrow to try and identify the problem so will have to wait and see what they find

GCA3N
29th November 2011, 10:13 PM
Check the guttering below the windscreen, I noticed mines was blocked today. This can cause water coming into the cabin.

cooperchris
29th November 2011, 11:05 PM
Could there be a leak from the heater matrix inside the car causing the problem?

Do you still have heating?

Just a guess :idunno:

Craig
29th November 2011, 11:37 PM
Defo sounds like heater matrix as its on the passenger side ;). Also check your bc1 unit which is under the dash to the right of the steering wheel as it can cause probs is water has got in ... Best of luck Grant :yes nod:

G19RNT
30th November 2011, 01:20 AM
Hi yes the heater still works i'am really puzzled by the water I had it up on our ramp at work and couldn't see anything under the car I shall see what the garage says tomorrow hope it's not too expensive to repair

Gismo
30th November 2011, 02:46 AM
No leak outside still indicates a leak inside from the heater matrix, have you checked your coolant level?

stoney
30th November 2011, 08:49 AM
Hope u get it sorted mate

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

bpirie1000
30th November 2011, 10:05 AM
seen this before where an air con pipe gets condensated and it drains into the car. seen it couple of times. usually caused by a sheild being bent and water dripping down that into the cabin...

worth thinking about....

Stewart
30th November 2011, 03:59 PM
Check the guttering below the windscreen, I noticed mines was blocked today. This can cause water coming into the cabin.

oh Balls, you've got me going outside now to check that in the rain.!!!!!!:ragin:

Good luck getting it sorted back to the original point!

G19RNT
20th December 2011, 03:10 PM
Turns out it was the scuttle drains that were choked and the door seals were leaking That's quite poor for a car of this age I know plenty of people with older cars than that with no such problems the electrical problem was water had got into a multi plug I think they called it and corroded it they managed to clean it up as a replacement was £2500 so not a very cheap fix