PDA

View Full Version : help

stoney
28th November 2011, 02:20 PM
ok i have got a virus in my lap top how do i get it out i have the avast free anti virus but it has got passed this and is sending doggy emails to every one from me !!!

GCA3N
28th November 2011, 02:34 PM
Dear oh dear I guess buy some decent anti virus software mate and run a scan on your laptop.:thumbs up:

Stewart
28th November 2011, 02:45 PM
Could try AVG as its free and worth a try.

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

stoney
28th November 2011, 02:50 PM
Just scanning now it's a real pain as I got avg from group on deal but it's never turned up and now this :(

So here is hoping i don't need to clear the whole thing :(

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Burple
28th November 2011, 03:03 PM
You can always try the McAfee Stinger tool as well, from:
http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

Download the .exe file and run it, and it should repair any infected files it finds..

Craig
28th November 2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah what Burple says. I've had to use a stinger a few times cos the free anti virus hasn't stopped a serious virus :(

Give me a shout if you've still got probs rob ;)

stoney
28th November 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys just trying the free avg one the now to see if that finds it as other one did not :(

Burple
28th November 2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah what Burple says. I've had to use a stinger a few times cos the free anti virus hasn't stopped a serious virus :(

Give me a shout if you've still got probs rob ;)

Glad you're closer than me! i'm busy spending my free time fighting with my Auntie's buggered XP install... looks like it might have to be a new HD after all... bugger. :)

Sure somebody at work owes me a hard drive shaped favour ;)

stoney
28th November 2011, 06:24 PM
well try'd 3 diffident scans and nothing has come up ???? so think it wipe time just to make sure

Craig
28th November 2011, 07:44 PM
well try'd 3 diffident scans and nothing has come up ???? so think it wipe time just to make sure

Sounds like it rob, but if you want some data off it first, let me know ;)

stoney
28th November 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks bud but have got an external hard drive so all my pics ect are on that ;)

Stewart
28th November 2011, 08:03 PM
Rob did you do Stinger on all the drives and not just the quick scan. Quick scan ran for about a few minutes, the Machine has been sitting for an hour or so on the more complete scan and it actually found a few things.

So good call on the Stinger, I think it still has a wee bit till it’s finished but I doing other stuff so no harm at all to let it rip on.

Craig
28th November 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks bud but have got an external hard drive so all my pics ect are on that ;)

Cool :thumbs up:

stoney
28th November 2011, 11:50 PM
Yep I did run the full scan but have cleared it now so just need to re install all my stuff again now and get my router up and running again thank goodness for smart phones :)

weefossy
29th November 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think doing a full clear out is a bad thing, if you have all your docs backed up. It amazing the amount of unused crap you accumulate on your hard drive over a year or two. I was amaxed at how much space I free'd up. Accept it's time consumming loading all the programmes back on.

stoney
29th November 2011, 02:15 PM
yep back up and running now :) just off to re load my itunes now for my phone:D :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
29th November 2011, 05:53 PM
I've always believed you get what you pay for, as far as i'm concerned a free anti virus software is always gonna niggle me no matter how good a report it gets.

I've used Norton nearly all my PC life, admittedly in the early days it was processor hungry, but, thats all fixed now.
I've got a 3 license install and reckon i am now on my 6th PC i've installed it on without any problems, dont get me wrong, i dont have it on more than 3 machines, just wiping the PC to get rid of unwanted crap and to speed things up a bit.

I hope you scanned your backed up files before you place them back on your clean install ;)

weefossy
29th November 2011, 09:28 PM
I've always been a Norton user as well. Never had any real problems.