PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode?

zimbo
24th November 2011, 03:53 PM
Has anyone else experienced this in their MINIs? I went out in the car yesterday and everything was as normal when suddenly the car wouldn't rev over 2.5-3k rpm or go over 45 mph the acceleration was SO SLOW that I could easily have got out of the car outrun it, but I managed to get the car home where I then switched the engine off re-started the car and went for a quick run around the block and everythings back to normal, phoned the garage to see if they thought they might know what it could be or if they had heard of this type of thing before and thats when the "Limp Mode" was mentioned, so my car is going into the garage tomorrow morning to be connected upto the machine to see what caused it etc etc.

Frigging shat myself when the car did that though :yes nod: I was like WTF is going on here!! and my car has just gone out of warrenty at the end of October as well :frown: :argh: and I cant afford to take out extended warrenty either. When it rains it pours...

Fingers crossed for tomorrow :thumbs up:

Burple
24th November 2011, 05:07 PM
It just suddenly remembered it was a diesel, that's all ;):p:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::zimbo:

zimbo
24th November 2011, 06:09 PM
:ragin: shut it you cheeky wee bald fecker :moonie:

weefossy
24th November 2011, 06:37 PM
Zimbo, I've never had it with a Mini, but I've had it with both the 5 series and a couple of times with the Jag. It happened with the Jag last week and it comes up as "restricted performance."

All I do is pull over as soon as I can and switch off. Wait 30 secs and then restart and it always cures itself. Seems to be caused when I do something indesisive, ie I go to accelerate very quickly, then change my mind and brake quickly. As if I've "confused the car". If car was voice activated it would probably say "what the feck are you doing sunshine?"

No long tern problems and I've never taken to a garage, but I'm sure the Mini diagnostics will be able to find a cause. Hopefully it won't cost you any money.

MINIme:)
24th November 2011, 10:08 PM
eek, glad you're fine, imagine if that happened on the M8?! :eek: Hope it doesn't flag up any cost issues.

Good info too Malcolm, that's the beauty of a wee forum, I learn loads on here, thanks all :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
25th November 2011, 09:18 AM
On R53's, this normally means the map sensor has went south. Not sure if it's the same on the newer models. If it is, it's a cheap DIY fix

GCA3N
25th November 2011, 11:52 AM
I had this on my R50 and it was a sensor fault. It does give you a fright though.

zimbo
25th November 2011, 12:36 PM
Well I'm just back from the garage and the car did the same thing 3 times on the way up the road each time I stopped switched the car off waited a few seconds then restarted it until I eventually got to the garage. So to cut a long story short it turns out it's a "Hot-air mass meter" that has given up the ghost and needs to be replaced and the new part costs £244 :thud:and because my car has ran out of warrenty last month I am having to pay for this and the labour to fit it but as a good will gesture the garage are going to pay half of the bill so I am going to have to try and find about £184 to pay my half of the bill!!! :frown::argh: and thats a LOT of money to me right now not just because of the time of year etc but just in general I cant even the last time I even had any money resembling that amount available to use at very short notice :sad: going to have to dig down the back of the sofa and see what I can scrounge up from there...

1st time I've had a car in a long long while that has been out of warrenty so to speak and this is what happens :ragin:

GCA3N
25th November 2011, 01:22 PM
It's alot at anytime of the year but right now well it's even harder. Hope you can sort it out bud.

Craig
25th November 2011, 01:35 PM
Total bummer Ali :frown: hope you get some good luck soon ;)

MINIme:)
25th November 2011, 02:48 PM
Aw no that is really harsh :sad: Sounds decent of them to split the cost but still a lot of cash to find. Hope you can sort it without too much difficulty, good luck.

Gismo
25th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Gutted for you Ali

MINI William
25th November 2011, 05:38 PM
Gutted for you Ali. Very good of the garage to offer half the bill for you

stoney
25th November 2011, 06:57 PM
gutted for you mate :(

zimbo
26th November 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the comments folks, well I guess santa wont be visiting my house this year and nor will anyone else be getting anything from uncle Ali this year, so Christmas is officially off the cards this year now wot a total bummer :frown: