PDA

View Full Version : Footpump

MINIme:)
20th November 2011, 03:23 PM
Hi, ok just a quick and fairly stupid question here;). So I bought a compressor thing in halfords for £30 and then changed my mind and am going to take it back and replace with a foot pump and this pressure gauge

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_56 6753_langId_-1_categoryId_255241#dtab which has good reviews...and our Craig has one, looked pretty good to me and gets good accuracy reviews both online and at Craig's hoose.

Plus a footpump. Intention is that this is to replace use of garage air lines so will be used to inflate by a few psi on a reasonably regular basis.
Is a single barrel quick enough for that amount or a bit more time consuming than it needs to be? or should I get a double barrel? Single I could just keep in the car, double I prob wouldn't as I've enough stuff in that small space already. I know it's hardly a life changing decision, but I've been swithering about it having never used a footpump myself.

I know Stewart is pretty happy with his Michelin double barrelled but I think they've maybe cheapened some parts as the online reviews of it are rubbish - lasting about 3 uses due to poor parts etc! Haven't really seen any that get a decent review.

RobSco
20th November 2011, 07:33 PM
This might help you with checking the Tyre Pressures... And a Bargain as well... I've gave you this on a previous Thread, it's not got the same buttons as the Michelin Programmable Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge but it would do the same, all down to what you like best... :yes nod:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108971

I would look around the internet as you can get the Michelin Programmable Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge on other sites for a £5 less than what you pay in Halfords and that includes delivery, save you the hassle of going out to get it... :computer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Digital-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000V5F0XQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321813802&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-CUS12500H-Tyre-Maintenance-Car/dp/B0021L94ZS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1321813802&sr=8-14

Even cheaper on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Michelin+Programmable+Digital+Tyre+Pressure+G auge&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Hope this is of some help to you... :thumbs up:

20th November 2011, 08:47 PM
yep thanks for reply but it's the 'is a single barrel pump quick enough or am I better with double barrel' that was the question. I don't want to get one that is small in the car boot but takes 5 minutes to add a few psi, or get one that is quicker but has to live at home cos it's too big. I know it's a really simple and really stupid question but I've never used a footpump so I can't judge which way to compromise.

Big Gordy
20th November 2011, 09:06 PM
I would just go for the single :thumbs up:
I have both and it may take you a few minutes longer but at least your pumping leg won't resemble that of one of Sir Chris Hoys legs :Whistle::moonie:

RobSco
20th November 2011, 09:21 PM
yep thanks for reply but it's the 'is a single barrel pump quick enough or am I better with double barrel' that was the question. I don't want to get one that is small in the car boot but takes 5 minutes to add a few psi, or get one that is quicker but has to live at home cos it's too big. I know it's a really simple and really stupid question but I've never used a footpump so I can't judge which way to compromise.

A Double Barrel Foot Pump will put more air in with less effort - Inflates twice as quickly as the single barrel foot pump but as Gordon has said you won't save that much time... :yes nod:

All depends how fast you want to inflate your tyres, if it's just for checking - the single one might do you, but there's only a slight difference in price between the two and it might be worth having the double barrel one if your time limit is under 5 minutes and how fit you are... :lol:

Less effort with a Double Barrel if you have a completely flat tyre, but in your case the single would do as your just checking your tyre pressures on a weekly basis but look around as the prices are varied... :thumbs up:

Craig
20th November 2011, 09:49 PM
I just have the single as I check mine regularly and very rarely have to put any air in. And I normally do it with the compressor :blush:

20th November 2011, 09:55 PM
ah you big cheat! :lol:

I thought you had a single barrel one and was waiting for you to say 'it takes precisely 2minutes 20 seconds to add 3.2psi'. or something similar :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
20th November 2011, 10:46 PM
ah you big cheat! :lol:

I thought you had a single barrel one and was waiting for you to say 'it takes precisely 2minutes 20 seconds to add 3.2psi'. or something similar :smilewinkgrin:

Lol !

It's there for emergencies, mostly for other people ;)

Stewart
20th November 2011, 11:05 PM
Shame they started making my pump on the cheap but I know these things happen.

I bought it when I still had my Honda and I’ve had my Mini just over three years now. I got it on the basis it was one of the best for speed and reading of pressure accurate and had solid build quality in reviews. I took a look at Amazon reviews, they hammered it but it looks slightly different from my one.

I can see your putting a lot of effort and thought into this.:smilewinkgrin:

20th November 2011, 11:08 PM
Not so much deliberate effort Stewart, I just can't make decisions to save myself so instead of swithering over a stupid question I thought I'd ask! :)

Big Gordy
21st November 2011, 08:49 AM
The twin barrel pump gives the pumping leg a serious workout.......trust me..!!

21st November 2011, 02:12 PM
ah ok. that hadn't occurred to me! I must admit my former gym bunny persona has been well and truly not in the gym the last couple of years so strength and fitness are waning! :hand:

are we talking several minutes here for putting in a few psi? If so I'm not sure I'll bother, I'll use a sainsbury's line!

Gismo
21st November 2011, 03:36 PM
I've used various pumps that use the 12volt outlet and never had a real problem with the pressure being spot on.
Our cars are not competing in F1 races and i personally dont feel the need for absolute exact readings.

To negate the loss of pressure when removing the adaptor from the valve i simply over inflate by 1psi or so and trust my judgement that it worked.

No standing by the side of the road in the pouring rain jumping on a foot pump

AndyP & Lenore
21st November 2011, 08:16 PM
I've used various pumps that use the 12volt outlet and never had a real problem with the pressure being spot on.
Our cars are not competing in F1 races and i personally dont feel the need for absolute exact readings.

To negate the loss of pressure when removing the adaptor from the valve i simply over inflate by 1psi or so and trust my judgement that it worked.

No standing by the side of the road in the pouring rain jumping on a foot pump

+1 for me. I do exactly the same as Alan, and I have exactly the same outloook as Alan.

A.