PDA

View Full Version : Repair Kits

rpn
14th November 2011, 08:45 AM
I just had winter tyres fitted over the weekend and like to find out what emergency repair kits, if any, do you carry for those with non-run flats?

Colin
14th November 2011, 01:09 PM
I carry an AA card ;)

I've never used one of these repair kits, don't know how effective they would be in a real life situation?

They seem to give the impression that no tools are required, but when you read the small print it says you have to remove the object that caused the punture for example a nail, before you inject the sealent. Can't imagine that would be easy at night in the pouring rain trying to find a nail that could be pressed right into the tyre?

stoney
14th November 2011, 02:21 PM
Yep aa member as well and also have a can of seal stuff

Mind you never used it yet and had it for about 4 years now

Touch wood :)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Stewart
14th November 2011, 02:34 PM
I really should be in the AA as well, but its can in the boot for me as well and foot pump.

Think I'll look into the £28 option next year but do they fix tyres on the spot or just tow you (would that not just kill the tyre?)

LadyR
14th November 2011, 02:46 PM
Good question, I'm just about to fit steelys too (provided nobody poaches them off me) has anyone actually tried the repair kit thing?? Living in the arse end of nowhere makes it a tough decision between run flats that are atrocious in the snow, and winters with no spare...

MINIme:)
14th November 2011, 03:05 PM
I called the AA out to check something not long ago, and just before I got the new car - At the time I was in last throes of deciding whether to get a spare wheel with the new one but was unlikely to.

The AA are absolutely brilliant, I've used them loads of times over the years. We discussed all this and his take was as follows...
:idea:

-The kits are ok for a slow puncture but often not sufficient for a sudden puncture. He said they see this A LOT.

- The AA don't carry tyres therefore if you call them out and don't have a spare all they will be able to do is tow you - but for that you would need membership at the relay level I would think - I've always had the 'roadside and relay' option myself so didn't question that.

I also think it's the case, but I might be wrong, that legally you have to have something for your car with you - either a spare or a foam kit or runflats.

Hope that helps a bit.
(Having done a bit of homework I went for the spare option on the new car and added it on just in time before the order was processed the monday after I'd ordered on the sat. wangled a good deal on adding it:yes nod:) I'm afraid the option can't be retrofitted though which was one of the main reason I got it added at the last minute.

Gismo
14th November 2011, 03:24 PM
I had a sidewall puncture during an NMS run and vowed I would stick with run flats.
No goo will ever fix that

Stewart
14th November 2011, 06:29 PM
I take it the spare is one of those thin-get you home kind of wheels on the Mini?

It’s the option I’d have now. If I got a side wall rip, then I’d be calling for the AA and trying to join on the spot and pay the higher fee to get the car home.

RobSco
14th November 2011, 06:50 PM
This might be of use to you as I'm thinking of something like this as I'm changing my Run Flats... :thumbs up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-50033-Emergency-Repair-Compressor/dp/B00336YCO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321292873&sr=8-3

14th November 2011, 07:17 PM
I take it the spare is one of those thin-get you home kind of wheels on the Mini?

Pretty sure it's a space saver yes - not actually seen it as it's slung under the car in a bracket thing!

This might be of use to you as I'm thinking of something like this as I'm changing my Run Flats... :thumbs up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-50033-Emergency-Repair-Compressor/dp/B00336YCO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321292873&sr=8-3

Robert that's the same kind of repair kit we're talking about I think? that the AA guy said often didn't work. better than nowt but I'd still always have my AA to hand. Ok my AA is currently on hold for 3 yrs while I have the BMW one but if I don't get the service I want from BMW I will be STRAIGHT on the phone to AA to reinstate my membership!

RobSco
14th November 2011, 07:59 PM
Robert that's the same kind of repair kit we're talking about I think? that the AA guy said often didn't work. better than nowt but I'd still always have my AA to hand. Ok my AA is currently on hold for 3 yrs while I have the BMW one but if I don't get the service I want from BMW I will be STRAIGHT on the phone to AA to reinstate my membership!

There are many Tyre Repair Kits on the market this is only one of them, You could go for the Genuine BMW Tyre Compressor and Sealant but that could set you back at least £103 or find a bargain for this on Ebay or do as others have done on site and go for a can of Holts Tyreweld at around £7 a can... :yes nod:

The Slime kit I believe washes from the Tyre so it can be repaired if the puncture is in an area that it can be done, whereas other products are not as easy to be removed from tyre... :confused:

I helped someone in a Mini the other day that rolled into the Petrol Station with a Flat Tyre and was running on Run Flats, I was surprised to see the tyre was totally wasted around the full tyre where the rim had been rubbing against the rubber, wire showing out of it, No Tyre Repair Kit would have got that going again, and that was a Run Flat and an Expense that they could have done without... :yes nod:

14th November 2011, 09:05 PM
might need a nice garage for that one - one that can be bothered helping by washing it out? I tend to assume a flat is likely to be wasted anyway - never had one that anyone told me/ admitted could be repaired!

stoney
15th November 2011, 09:05 AM
the AA will tow you the the closest garage that will fix it for you under the standard membership if no spare wheel or you can phone an mobile tyer fitter and they will come and do it at side 0f the road and there are 24h ones out there as well

rpn
15th November 2011, 09:40 AM
So many different takes on the subject!

For curiosity does anyone know the cost for one of those ‘get-you-home’ space saving spare wheel?

15th November 2011, 10:30 AM
factory fitted, the spare space saver wheel cost £50 as an option. You'd have to ask whether you could get it retrofitted somehow - I was lead to believe not :(

Duncan Stewart
18th November 2011, 08:46 PM
In my new mini I carry a full size wheel in the back seat (properly strapped down with the seat belt) I never use the back seat so suits me fine and means I can carry on driving normally if I get a puncture (after I change the wheel)
I hate the fact cars don't get proper spare wheels anymore.

My classic has a full size, factory fit, no extra cost spare wheel & tyre in the boot :smilewinkgrin: