PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Apple.......

Craig
9th November 2011, 08:55 AM
For deleting all my contacts and reminders off my phone last night :ragin::ragin::shut up::argh: :argh:

Did the update last night (was putting it off as every time I do an update on my iPhone i have problems!) and it went thro the whole process ok (seemingly) so let it finish the firmware update and reboot the phone and then when I looked at it, no contacts and my calendar stuff - gone! :thud:

Double checked my outlook and all my contacts and reminders etc are still there so no idea why iTunes has suddenly decided to delete them all from my phone :frown:

Anyone else had this issue on a 3Gs going to IOS5?

stoney
9th November 2011, 09:10 AM
just need to find your backup file and reload it i lost a lot off my stuff when updated

Craig
9th November 2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah Rob, but all my contacts and reminders are still in outlook and iTunes has been syncing with it fine up until this update and now will not pull this info in.... Surely i don't need to use the backup, I just need it to pull in the data that is already there and that it has been talking to for nearly 2 years!?!?!? ;)

AndyP & Lenore
9th November 2011, 10:35 AM
I certainly had a syncing issue when I first got the 4S. It lost all my calendar appointments. It turned out I had too many 'calendars' switched on and there was a syncing clash. Switched them all off apart from the one I wanted to use and PING! all my appointments appeared again.

It never lost my contacts though. :idunno:

A.

MINI William
9th November 2011, 12:17 PM
Ive not lost any contacts when updating I only lost a ringtone I had put on and now when I get a message the alert tone gets its self into a wee tizz and the sound doesnt come out right

Bazthemod
9th November 2011, 12:25 PM
Do a restore from the latest backup you had before the update. It wont put you back to 4.3 you will still stay on 5.0 and all your stuff will transfer back as it was.

Craig
9th November 2011, 01:09 PM
cheers for all the advice guys... finished early from work today as I have a hospital trip to do (driver :clap:) so popped home as I thought I knew what the issue was...

my PC died recently and had to rebuild it. Had installed itunes, and thought it would remember my previous settings, however it hadn't so it wasn't set to sync with outlook for contacts and calendar... now is and it is sorted !! :thumbs up: Still doesn't answer why it decided to delete them all off the phone.... :confused: :idunno:

soooo glad I now have backup software that covers my pst file :yes nod:

Stewart
9th November 2011, 04:29 PM
I lost all my Apps, but discovered that I-Tunes keeps a record of what you downloaded so just went through them and put on the ones I really use and left the dross out to get the phone back to normal.

I expected the loss of the custom ringtones and had them ready to go back on.

In reality I’d wish I had left the New OS as the phone is slowing up and taking its time to do stuff and my mates two 3GS are just the same. Before it was crisp opening and doing stuff now it just thinks about it and a few times hangs….

I think the problem with my apps stemmed from the fact Itunes refused to work on my PC and I took it off as I did not use it for anything and still don’t other than updates.

euan
11th November 2011, 01:59 PM
:thumbs up: Still doesn't answer why it decided to delete them all off the phone.... :confused: :idunno:

It didn't delete them - you didn't tell it to copy them back :yes nod: The updates clears all the stuff off your phone and then restores it all back again as it was, it means the update is "cleaner" as they know exactly what is on the phone when they update it. The downside to this is in your situation, it looks like it deleted them but in reality it was user error :p

I can't really speak though, took me a day to do the upgrade on my iPhone 4 due to the backup getting screwed!

Craig
11th November 2011, 02:22 PM
Aye, I'm a windows man so don't understand mac or apple way of doing things ! ;)

In my defence I was also installing a new backup solution and antivirus on 2 pcs which was proving challenging! :lol: I'll know for the next time :yes nod: