PDA

View Full Version : Horror or fabulous?

MINIme:)
6th November 2011, 11:43 PM
This may well be a horror for some of you cleaning experts. (I was going to write 'and detailing' but I actually have no idea what detailing is :blush: )

I do enjoy a good Verdict catalogue (ooh, THAT looks useful!!) and flicking through the latest I came across the below...

http://www.spray-and-shine.co.uk/ (http://www.spray-and-shine.co.uk/)

anyone used this or is it too horrible a thought to bear?

:bigwave:

Craig
7th November 2011, 12:19 AM
Omg !!!! There is no such thing as a waterless wash !! :thud:

AndyP & Lenore
7th November 2011, 12:19 AM
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! You wash your mouth out young lady!!! :lol:

Seriously, there's no way in hell I'd trust that sort of stuff.:frown:

From what I recall most of these type of products are a mixture of wax, silicone and some sort of cleaning compound. The cleaning compound helps get rid of the dirt off your car but grinds some dirt into the paintwork and scores the paintwork at the same time. The Silicone then gets rubbed into the grooves the dirt scratched in the paintwork to fill the grooves and make it look like it's actually OK. Then the wax coves over all the imperfections and poor finish to make it "looK" nice and shiny.

A.

7th November 2011, 12:32 AM
:lol:

yep pretty much expected that response :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
7th November 2011, 01:01 AM
:lol:

yep pretty much expected that response :smilewinkgrin:

Thing is, they've over complicated the normal cleaning process to make that product look better.

You can keep a car looking absolutely mint with three simple products and two tools:

Shampoo
G101
Wax

Micro fibre wash mit or a lambswool wash mit
Micro fibre drying cloth - a few for rotation and buffing wax etc

you can go nuts with polishes and window cleaners and alloy cleaners and sealants and so on and so on. But the three products above will do a damn good job of cleaning your car and won't cost a fortune.

A.

7th November 2011, 01:12 AM
I really want a driveway of my own! :sad:

RobSco
7th November 2011, 01:55 AM
I really want a driveway of my own! :sad:

Or a Very Long Hose from a Third Floor Flat... :lol:

MINI William
7th November 2011, 08:11 AM
These "waterless wash" products will leave your car with swirls all over your paint work and do more damage than good in the long run. I personally would never use any of these kind of products on my car.

stoney
7th November 2011, 09:13 AM
nope would no tuoch it

looking forward to see what Mr King makes of this :lol:

i have lots of products and i enjoy using them all even if it takes all day :)

Mon the fish
7th November 2011, 09:38 AM
One full day a year of proper prep, and using a good quality wax (3-4 coats), will mean you only really need to do maintenance washes the rest of the year

Craig
7th November 2011, 10:55 AM
One full day a year of proper prep, and using a good quality wax (3-4 coats), will mean you only really need to do maintenance washes the rest of the year

^^^ This

My Punto got a wax in Sept last year and has just had it's one year wax a few weeks ago. All it had in between was washing. It looked great all year and even when I had to strip it back recently, the bodywork was in good shape :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2011, 12:09 AM

^^^ This

My Punto got a wax in Sept last year and has just had it's one year wax a few weeks ago. All it had in between was washing. It looked great all year and even when I had to strip it back recently, the bodywork was in good shape :thumbs up:

^^^^^^^^^^^^These X 2.

A.:thumbs up:

8th November 2011, 12:49 AM
surprisingly there was support for this product on totalmini! - or mini2 I can't rem which now. I thought there might be one wildcard on here who has used and liked it!

I used to handwash and wax my first car - a wee saxo (not partic well but I did at least try). Steadily went downhill after that!
car 2 - the corsa sri got jetwashed.
car 3 - mini 1 got carwashed.
car 4 - mini 2 is looking mucky after only 3 weeks and off to visit some nice chap this weekend. I'll need to find someone that lives closer though. Or get a driveway and some training. :thumbs up:

:idea:If anyone feels the urge to do a full prep waxing session on my car such as described below feel free to give me a price! Craig and I only have time for a wee quick wash this weekend. Need someone to show me how to do all this. And lend me a driveway! I provide biscuits:thumbs up:

Craig
8th November 2011, 08:51 AM
Joanna, we'll have a chat on Sunday. I can give your car the protection your talking about ;) or show you how to fully clean/wax the car and you can do it yourself, whatever works :thumbs up:

Ps- can't believe you put your 1st mini thro the trauma of a carwash! :thud:

8th November 2011, 10:19 AM
Joanna, we'll have a chat on Sunday. I can give your car the protection your talking about ;) or show you how to fully clean/wax the car and you can do it yourself, whatever works :thumbs up:

Ps- can't believe you put your 1st mini thro the trauma of a carwash! :thud:

All sounds good :thumbs up:

The soft cloth carwash is directly opposite my house - too easy!

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2011, 10:34 AM
The soft cloth carwash is directly opposite my house - too easy!

"Soft cloth" and "car wash" are a contradiction in terms.:sad:

There's no such thing.:frown:

A.:D

Craig
8th November 2011, 11:31 AM

Dinnae worry Andy - Joanna will be taught in the art of looking after a MINI :yes nod:

gauldrymini
8th November 2011, 11:37 AM

...agreed! There is a touchless car wash in Dundee though, just snow foam...no sponges, cloths, etc.

AndyP & Lenore
8th November 2011, 11:42 AM
Dinnae worry Andy - Joanna will be taught in the art of looking after a MINI :yes nod:

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

ELFMAN
8th November 2011, 03:34 PM
Craig and I only have time for a wee quick wash this weekend. Need someone to show me how to do all this. I provide biscuits:thumbs up:

Oh Dear... :blush: :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
8th November 2011, 03:56 PM
Dam there is a magic quick way to wash your car at a reasonable level. Pains me to say it but it takes me two hours ands that’s just a normal wash and this could wash and wax in minutes….sign me up! :smilewinkgrin:

I gave the car a polish and seal last month and it took me five hours just going at my own pace washing the car first. Next wash I polished the windows and sealed them and even spent hours doing the inside the other day.

Over the next few months I’ll not be going water less but more touch less as I plan to just foam the car in rinse with the PW….

9th November 2011, 12:04 AM
I'm very impressed with all of you :yes nod:

One day I too shall be a mini washing ninja :knife: maybe Craig will call me Grasshopper.

stoney
9th November 2011, 12:18 AM
i will hopefully be giving my Gp a good few coats of wax this weekend