PDA

View Full Version : Retaining number plate.

E1ONN
5th November 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi im trading my car into a garage next week and i was told by the salesman to fill in the form to retain my number plate and pay the £105.00 fee aswell, but i have been speaking to a few folk and they said i should have only to transfer it over to the new car? can anyone give me more info on this?

Craig
5th November 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah if you are buying a car from a garage and part ex your old car with the number on it then they just need to do a transfer for the plate from car to car (costing £80).

I have found recently that garages can't be bothered with the hassle and now make it the customers job to do it. Be careful, if you don't take your plate off the car and they take ownership then it's their plate ! (unless they agree for you to take it off after trade in) ;)

So I'n short, prob much easier to just apply to retain your plate for £105 and then put it on your new car I'n a few weeks ;)

Stewart
6th November 2011, 12:40 PM
I take it the £105 gets the plate back on the new car or do you then have to pay the £80??????

Poor show by the Dealers who should have this down to a fine art and do it for free...

Craig
6th November 2011, 01:22 PM
Nope Stewart the £105 is £80 for transfer and £25 for the certificate. The certificate is valid for 1 year.

Once you want to put it back on just take it (or post) to dvla and there is no further charge ;)

E1ONN
8th November 2011, 09:41 PM
The garge dont want the hassle of the plates anymore, and i cant trade my car in untill i have received the V5c for my car to give to them. this normally takes up to 4 weeks untill everything comes back. pritty poor i would say

Fester
9th November 2011, 12:10 PM
I spoke to 3 garages over the weekend who were all happy to handle the transfer for me for the £80 fee.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.494352,-2.949085

peterb
9th November 2011, 09:19 PM
Never had a problem at Peter Vardy Edinburgh for the last 4 car changes, yes it costs and yes it is the DVLA who are the weak link!

E1ONN
9th November 2011, 11:04 PM
Well im not getting my new car until everything comes through. it will be 2 weeks on Monday when i went up with everything and i have only received a letter confirming the plate has been retained and my tax disc :/ anyone know how long the process normally takes?

weefossy
9th November 2011, 11:04 PM
Agree with Peter, we have had J2SVF on 8 cars and PV has done it every time without any problem.

AndyP & Lenore
9th November 2011, 11:41 PM
Well im not getting my new car until everything comes through. it will be 2 weeks on Monday when i went up with everything and i have only received a letter confirming the plate has been retained and my tax disc :/ anyone know how long the process normally takes?

It normally takes about 4 weeks to get the V5 showing the original reggie mark through. DVLA take sooooo long it's ridiculous.

It is a shame the garage are treating you the way they are though. It does take a good while to do a transfer so it's true that some dealers would prefer you simply put your plate on retention rather than do a transfer from one car to another. But the past couple of times I've traded in with a private plate on my own car, the dealer simply gets me to fill out a transfer form at the dealership and they take the car straight away anyway. They cant sell it until they get the V5 in, but they are happy to sit and wait on that knowing they have sold a car on.

A.

lorraine
12th November 2011, 12:14 AM
you can go to dvla and do it yourself that day i have 4 private regs that have been tranfered put on retention taken off retention Private reg for mini was taken off retention and put on. garage tried to say it would take 1 week to sort jim said he would take the paperwork to dvla, oh thats right you can pick up the car in 1 hour we will sort it i was given the wrong info,