PDA

View Full Version : Mini Coupe

Big Gordy
5th November 2011, 10:34 AM
The latest EVO mag has a group test of the Mini JCW Coupe against a Corsa VXR, Fiat 500 Abarth 695 and Clio 200 Cup. Unfortunately it came in joint 3 with the Fiat :frown: There conclusion reads thus.....

"The mini is a very strange car in both concept and looks, to the point where it's hard to see why you'd want to sacrifice two rear seats for no gain in performance and a dubious stab at individuality. The fact it's also a pretty ragged thing to drive hard is extremely disappointing and at odds with how any fast mini should feel."
The winner was the Clio 200 Cup....a bargain at £16,930 compared with the Mini £23,795 Corsa VXR £22,295 and Fiat ££29,600:thud:

Gismo
5th November 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that you either love or hate this model

peterb
5th November 2011, 10:03 PM
Ah, but who would buy a Renault or a Vauxhall. Oops we do own a 500 Abarth as well as the coupe though:blush:

The latest EVO mag has a group test of the Mini JCW Coupe against a Corsa VXR, Fiat 500 Abarth 695 and Clio 200 Cup. Unfortunately it came in joint 3 with the Fiat :frown: There conclusion reads thus.....

"The mini is a very strange car in both concept and looks, to the point where it's hard to see why you'd want to sacrifice two rear seats for no gain in performance and a dubious stab at individuality. The fact it's also a pretty ragged thing to drive hard is extremely disappointing and at odds with how any fast mini should feel."
The winner was the Clio 200 Cup....a bargain at £16,930 compared with the Mini £23,795 Corsa VXR £22,295 and Fiat ££29,600:thud:

AndyP & Lenore
6th November 2011, 12:13 AM
Strange they think it's a "ragged thing to drive."

It's a terrific car to drive. Albeit that impression was garnered from a 20 minute test drive in a car with a pointless third pedal.

A.

N16SHP
6th November 2011, 03:01 PM
Top Gear tested it against a 2.0 TT and the Peugeot RCZ, which in reality are the coupe's real competitors! Interestingly, Top Gear suggest getting the Coupe in basic spec as the basic chassis and engine in the coupe, coupled with the looks are a bargain, almost £10,000 cheaper than the most basic TT!

Spacecadetrik
26th December 2011, 11:47 PM
Ah, but who would buy a Renault or a Vauxhall. Oops we do own a 500 Abarth as well as the coupe though:blush:

I had a Full Spec Clio 200 and added the cup chassis as an option. Gives great equipment level and interior as well as the great handling. The Clio is probably one of the finest cars I have driven in terms of hot hatches. Nothing else in that bracket currently comes close. It poise on the road is outstanding and the pace through twisty B roads is just stunning. However with the mileage I was doing the cost of running it was ludicrous. 30mpg if you drive it like a granny and burning through sets of front tyres every 9-10k isn't great.

The next Clio will have a turbo I suspect. They need to bring it into line. However I hope they keep the chassis.

Saying that I have been impressed so far with the mini chassis and the way it handles. When the weather improves I will get it out for a few runs. :-)

KenL
27th December 2011, 10:00 AM
MINIs don't always do well in tests whereas the Clio does. Outrageous price for the Fiat and Vauxhall though!

Gismo
27th December 2011, 10:06 AM
If we listened to the reviews we would never buy a MINI :Whistle:

T5LLC
27th December 2011, 08:32 PM
I had a Cooper S Coupe when my Mini was in getting repairs for 3 days. Loved the little car but the price tag with it is crazy! Was great to drive and I loved how it stood out and caught alot of peoples eyes.. :)

aldo
31st December 2011, 10:50 PM
To be honest I couldn't care less if the mini was slower, I'd still buy it over any of those other ones.

I feel it's got a sporty look, while it can be cute and still shift when it wants to plus it's more prestige.

Well that's what I think anyway.