PDA

View Full Version : Loving my winter wheels

Neil - TXJ
2nd November 2011, 08:38 PM
So this weekend put my 16" winter wheels on and must say I am loving them.

Ride is so much better, less tyre noise and fewer rattles. In addition turn in feels much sharper and fuel consumption appears better - lower rolling resistance?

The thought of going back to my 17" run flats come spring is already something I am not looking forward to.

Apart from looks am struggling to see any benefits of 17" wheels although appreciate the run flats could be the bigger issue rather than the wheel size.

Craig
2nd November 2011, 09:33 PM
Aye Neil, ditch the run flats and your problems are solved ! ;)

ELFMAN
3rd November 2011, 04:43 PM
Aye Neil, ditch the run flats and your problems are solved ! ;)

Listen to the BIG MAN! :thumbs up:

Although I'm very happy with my JCW Suspension, I reckon swapping to non-runflats would have helped a lot on the 'Sports' setup I had on this car. The combination of the JCW stuff and the non R/F is probably about as good as I'll get without going to Coilovers. The Handling/Ride Quality trade-off is a good compromise (which things always are on a road car) and the ride height is only 10mm lower, so I don't hit too many Sleeping Policemen!

But suspension aside, I'd certainly recommend ditching the R'F's. (Just don't forget the Tyre Seal Kit...) :thumbs up:

Re. Wheel size 'benefits' - Big Brakes = at least 17's.

stoney
3rd November 2011, 05:28 PM
yep i know what you are saying run flats are crap as Elf and Craig have said but the weight difference as well will make the car feel a lot more sprigtly :)

SuperCooperS
3rd November 2011, 06:14 PM
the run flats on my 18s are very hard.. if i drive over a pebel it nearly breaks my back lol

Stewart
3rd November 2011, 06:31 PM
Best thing I’ve done was take my car off the RF even on 16” they were too harsh a ride and rattled the car to death. Swapped to four Uniroyal’s and different car in side.

I did have a wee wobble when I did it and the car immediately felt different but I guess there would have been no point taking off the RF if it was just going to feel the same.

Craig
3rd November 2011, 08:00 PM
I have to say, I don't want this turn into a bashing run flats. For some it's a requirement, however others prefer the feel and comfort the std tyres give.

Neil, my winters are working well too and so glad I had spare wheels, less chance of damage to the main wheels with changing over tyres every 6 months :thumbs up:

Neil - TXJ
3rd November 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys, think I am going to have to ditch the run flats - it is just painful to get rid of tyres with decent tread on them!

Was thinking for a Christmas treat to powder coat my R99 gloss black but money will probably now go on new tyres.

Cheers.

stoney
3rd November 2011, 10:45 PM
Lol I know how u feel think my winters will go on this weekend I think

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Mon the fish
4th November 2011, 09:23 AM
Also OEM wheels are very heavy and have rubbish offsets - aftermarket 16s will cover big brakes, as well as being lighter. I doubt you'd notice the difference between 16" and 17" aftermarket wheels in terms of ride and handling (with decent tyres)

MINI William
4th November 2011, 12:37 PM
Thinking I'm going to get my R112's on this weekend :yes nod:

Neil - TXJ
4th November 2011, 12:42 PM
Also OEM wheels are very heavy and have rubbish offsets - aftermarket 16s will cover big brakes, as well as being lighter. I doubt you'd notice the difference between 16" and 17" aftermarket wheels in terms of ride and handling (with decent tyres)

It is a company motor so can only fit OEM wheels, otherwise my summer wheels would have not have been OEM and therefore a lot lighter.

ianking
4th November 2011, 12:43 PM
Thinking I'm going to get my R112's on this weekend :yes nod:

You got winter tyres on the fronts seeing as they are the winter wheels?
Im thinking about a couple winters for mine but they are really expensive.

Craig
4th November 2011, 12:52 PM

Not if you buy them I'n July :Whistle:

MINI William
4th November 2011, 01:04 PM

Nope just normal tyres

thechief
5th November 2011, 05:17 PM

That will work but you'll have to take it really easy as you'll have no grip at the rear.

I've only ever used them in a full set and the difference is collossal. I'm heading down to Perth in the next few weeks to drop off a set of Vredestein Wintrac's, to be fitted before I even drive my new car :thumbs up:

stoney
5th November 2011, 06:27 PM
mine are now on

Neil - TXJ
5th November 2011, 06:29 PM
its been very mild since I put mine on - typical! I have however heard that we will have snow in a couple of weeks.