PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension...

RobSco
30th October 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm sure I know the answer to this before I even get a reply back but thought I'd get some of your views on it... :yes nod:

Since I bought my car in July, the Front Passengers side tyre was worn on the outside and I've asked twice at the garage for them to check it, and was told that the Tracking of the front wheels was alright and that the tyre was still legal, so I left it at that as I had intentions of changing Tyres to Non Run Flats...

As the car was in the garage last week because my Power Steering Pump had packed in, I asked if they would check the tracking on the front wheels again as to me the tyre was getting worse, to which I was told " fitting the new pump there was no need to check this as replacing the pump wouldn't have anything to do with the worn tyre", I just thought that all the problems might be linked...

Today I went to have a look at the Power Steering Pump that they had fitted and to check my tyre pressures, and have a general look over the car as I'm going to change the tyres soon and waiting on these to be delivered...

It was then I noticed on the Passengers side, at the top of the the strut where the upper mounting nuts are, the bit you see of the strut that looks like Rubber ???, Top Mounting Plate ??? has a crack working its way around the top, Is this what could be causing the problem of the wheel wearing on the outside and I take it this will have to be done very quickly to be safe and do you have to do both sides...

Just hope this is covered with the Warranty, what I want to know is how did they not notice this when they said they checked the wheel alignment, so I'll be taking it in to my nearest Mini garage tomorrow and not the one that I normally use, as they've checked the tracking twice and never spotted this...

Thought my problems were over last week... How wrong was I... :ragin:

S21AGD
31st October 2011, 07:53 PM
Can you post a pic of the cracked part? sounds interesting/concerning!

If I was you, I wouldn't go near a mini garage, all they generally are are a group of part fitters managed by a mechanic. Do you not have a local garage you trust?

RobSco
31st October 2011, 09:27 PM

If I was you, I wouldn't go near a mini garage, all they generally are are a group of part fitters managed by a mechanic. Do you not have a local garage you trust?

Will try and get a photo tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about, just incase anyone else has the same problem and knows what to lookout for... :yes nod:

As the car is under a Cherished Mini Warranty - Car is booked into Eastern on Thursday that's quite near my work to get the Top Mounting Plate replaced as it's almost cracked right round, this should have been spotted when Front Tracking was checked about two weeks ago at another garage, mind you I stumbled across this when cleaning around the engine bay...

If it wasn't under Warranty I would be using my local garage, who I trust very much... :thumbs up:

RobSco
1st November 2011, 09:15 PM

Here's the part in question that you asked me to post a photo of to let you see where it's Split / Cracked around the top of the Front Suspension... :ragin: ... I'll have you all out checking yours now... :yes nod:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/saltire832ad/Miscellaneous/IMG_0007.jpg http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/saltire832ad/Miscellaneous/IMG_0003.jpg

MINIme:)
2nd November 2011, 10:14 PM
Good luck with this tomorrow Robert, hope it's not another trauma.

RobSco
2nd November 2011, 10:56 PM
Good luck with this tomorrow Robert, hope it's not another trauma.

Thanks Joanna... Just want it all resolved without any more problems, Dropping the car of at the garage at 8 am... :thumbs up:

Craig
2nd November 2011, 11:28 PM
Best of luck Robert :thumbs up:

RobSco
3rd November 2011, 09:57 PM
Well car was dropped off at Eastern Mini this morning at 8 am to have the Top Mounting Plate replaced, this has now been done and what a difference... :yes nod:

Car drives and feels a lot better to handle and should now be a lot safer... :motoring:

Would like to Thank all the Guys at Eastern Mini’s Service Department for the Excellent Service they provided me with, it was good to get a lift to my work and return for me later when my car was fixed saving me any hassle of getting there and back... :clap:

Well done all at Eastern Mini... :thumbs up:

Craig
3rd November 2011, 09:58 PM
Great news Robert :thumbs up:

MINIme:)
3rd November 2011, 11:50 PM
really pleased to hear this :yes nod:

where did you see that by the way - is it under the bonnet? I know it's a stupid question :) I am trying to learn more about cars - not starting from a very high knowledge point!!

RobSco
4th November 2011, 01:19 AM
really pleased to hear this :yes nod:

where did you see that by the way - is it under the bonnet? I know it's a stupid question :) I am trying to learn more about cars - not starting from a very high knowledge point!!

No Joanna its not a stupid question, if you don't ask you'll never learn, that's what being part of NMS is all about... :yes nod:

This can be seen when you have the bonnet open, the top of the strut is visible on each side of the engine compartment... :thumbs up:

If you want to know more regarding the parts of your car or are looking for spares try this website it's worth bookmarking this site to keep for reference...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do

stoney
4th November 2011, 08:55 AM
glad its all fixed now mate :thumbs up: