PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA Investigating MINI Engine Fires

Stewart
23rd October 2011, 03:01 PM
Just spotted this!
http://www.totalmini.com/forum/attachments/mini-news-general-media/17766d1319360237-spontaneous-combustion-parked-cooper-ss-imageuploadedbytapatalk1319360611.295474.jpg
NHTSA Investigating MINI Engine Fires

The Detroit News is reporting that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating the ’07-’08 R56 Cooper S after 12 complaints were filed, including five vehicle fires. At this point we can only speculate as to the cause of these incidents (as to whether or not they’re turbo-related), but it’s important to keep in mind that we’re talking about five cars in approximately 36,000 vehicles, with no injuries or crashes reported. So we’re pretty sure it’s safe to go ahead and drive your Cooper S to the office this morning. While only preliminary at this point, we’ll keep you posted on any findings this investigation turns up. Full story excerpt after the break.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating the 2007-2008 BMW Mini Cooper S for engine fires.
NHTSA said in a notice posted on its website Saturday it is probing 36,000 models sold in the United States after receiving 12 complaints, including 5 alleged fires resulting in a total vehicle loss.
The investigation covers the Mini Cooper S, the Mini Cooper S convertible and the 2008 Clubman edition.
Eight complaints said fires occurred while the vehicles were parked with the ignition off. The complaints show an apparent increasing trend with most complaints received within the past year, NHTSA said.
NHTSA has reviewed field reports submitted as part of its Early Warning Reporting data. A preliminary evaluation has been opened to assess the cause, scope and frequency of the alleged defect by the agency.

NHTSA said no injuries or crashes have been reported as a result of the fires.

-my-2009-mini-cooper-s-burst-into-flames-today (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/218945-my-2009-mini-cooper-s-burst-into-flames-today.html) :frown::frown::frown::sad:

MINIme:)
23rd October 2011, 03:35 PM
OH MY GOD!!! :eek::eek::eek: That is genuinely terrifying. Someone who worries as much as I do shouldn't read things like that.

And not to mention poor mini :sad:

Stewart
23rd October 2011, 04:16 PM
Its ok its not the Coopers!

I don’t want you placing a fire extinguisher next to the car when you park…..;)

john
23rd October 2011, 04:59 PM
There was someone in the Aberdeen area bough a second hand mini from a garage just out of town and it cought fire on his way home with it.

23rd October 2011, 06:55 PM
Its ok its not the Coopers!

I don’t want you placing a fire extinguisher next to the car when you park…..;)

You've assessed me quite well! (And where CAN I buy a fire extinguisher?)

RobSco
23rd October 2011, 07:32 PM
You've assessed me quite well! (And where CAN I buy a fire extinguisher?)

You better stay well away from YouTube then Joanna... :yes nod: ... No need, whatsoever for you to worry... :lol: ... Enjoy your Mini... :thumbs up:

23rd October 2011, 08:02 PM
Speaking of which, Robert......How's your wee mini with the steering pump failure??? :eek:

RobSco
23rd October 2011, 08:15 PM
Speaking of which, Robert......How's your wee mini with the steering pump failure??? :eek:

Replied to you, on original Thread... :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
23rd October 2011, 08:32 PM
Wonder if its turbo related :frown:

Mon the fish
23rd October 2011, 08:58 PM
It's surprising it's took this long to happen - you would think any faults like this would have come to light (no pun intended) sooner, a la 458 Italia

AndyP & Lenore
23rd October 2011, 09:40 PM
Wonder if its turbo related :frown:

Cars stationary with the ignition turned off? Surely can't be turbo related. :idunno:

A.

Big Gordy
24th October 2011, 07:58 AM
Could still be turbo related Andy...all depends what the turbo was up to before you stop. They take a wee while to cool down if you've been out for a spirited thrash...!!!

ELFMAN
24th October 2011, 08:17 AM
I always knew it was a proper 'Hot Hatch'... :thumbs up:

Stewart
24th October 2011, 04:13 PM

:thumbs up:

Although thoughts go out to those who have lost their cars.......

stoney
24th October 2011, 04:56 PM
not good glad i have an r53 now :lol:

stoney
24th October 2011, 04:57 PM

trust you with the bad puns :lol:

stoney
24th October 2011, 04:58 PM
:thumbs up:

Although thoughts go out to those who have lost their cars.......

thats what insurance is for :thumbs up: