PDA

View Full Version : JCW Stage 1 kit & JCW Factory exhaust

SuperCooperS
16th October 2011, 03:07 PM
I was just wondering what the difference was between the JCW stage 1 kit and the JCW exhaust, is one noiser?, are they a slightly different noise to one another?, im thinking of buying the back box and not sure which is the better or right one to go for, for my cooper s?

I know that one is not stamped and one is with the JCW logo?

Cheers

Craig
16th October 2011, 03:26 PM
Andyp & lenore have the stage 1 kit on their R56 and I think they said it didn't make a massive difference in noise. From my experience the FJCW exhaust is louder but that could also be partly down to the map :thumbs up:

Gismo
16th October 2011, 03:31 PM
If you are loking for a better noise, then i would suggest a custom fit exhaust system, probably be the same price anyway :thumbs up:
I fully understand if you want to maintain the MINI brand

SuperCooperS
16th October 2011, 03:32 PM
which one is which.... is the factory one the one that comes on the car with no branding..which makes some but not much difference?.. and are they both dealership sourced items?.. I wouldnt want it tooo noisy.. just a little louder with a few pops and crackles

edit: yes i want to stay with MINI items.. not a huge fan of after market stuff

ELFMAN
16th October 2011, 03:35 PM
The JCW exhaust is a WEE bit louder, but the biggest difference I noticed was when I fitted the Milltek Downpipe - that opened up the sound quite a lot.

I don't know how much the JCW Backbox is (I got the exhaust as part of the JCW Engine Tuning Kit). But I'd maybe look at a Milltek System or just their Downpipe with Sports Cat and compare prices etc. Even with the downpipe, my car is still reasonably quiet, but sounds nice. Sometimes I'd actually like it to be a bit more 'vocal', but it's OK most of the time and sounds fine without drawing unwanted attention!

Crombers
16th October 2011, 03:40 PM
yes i want to stay with MINI items.. not a huge fan of after market stuff

Just my 2p, some will agree but others will not ........

but the best sounding MINI's on here over the years have all come from 'after market' exhaust systems :yes nod: with significant cost savings

SuperCooperS
16th October 2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for advice guys. I think ill go for the fJCW one as i think it sounds nicer and looks better and from what i can see its cheaper too :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
16th October 2011, 07:33 PM
The Challenge back box is nice and noisy

SuperCooperS
16th October 2011, 07:52 PM
too noisy isnt nice... sutble burrrrppp is nice with a popopopyyy noise

ELFMAN
17th October 2011, 12:41 AM
too noisy isnt nice... sutble burrrrppp is nice with a popopopyyy noise

The easiest and most cost-effective way to get that sound is with a Curry, a bottle of Vimto and a quick jog around the block!!! :thumbs up::smilewinkgrin:

SuperCooperS
17th October 2011, 08:33 AM
haha thats more a gurgle roar gurgle roar.. puuurrrrrrrpppp.. run to the loo

ELFMAN
17th October 2011, 04:13 PM
How much are they charging for the JCW System/Back Box?

Burple
17th October 2011, 04:20 PM
From other forums..

it appears that the factory JCW one will be louder on standard S's than the Stage1 one...
The Factory one is all one piece tailpipes, where the stage 1 one has separate tailpipes that you have to attach...

:thumbs up:

Personal choice and all that.... but I love my factory one! :hand::D
(mostly cos it's attached to a factory JCW! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:)

SuperCooperS
17th October 2011, 11:54 PM
I quite like the fact that they arent engraved.. i think its more stylish and a subtle mod being as they are...ive listened to both exhausts on youtube and I think the fJCW sounds nicer too, crisper sound and not as deep as the stage one... im sure it does sound lovely attached to a factory JCWs i dont think ive heard a proper JCW car in the flesh yet!

Crombers
18th October 2011, 05:32 PM
The easiest and most cost-effective way to get that sound is with a Curry, a bottle of Vimto and a quick jog around the block!!! :thumbs up::smilewinkgrin:
:clap: like it :hand:

Just be careful mind, sense of humour escaping a few these days :idunno:

ELFMAN
18th October 2011, 05:45 PM
What? You recon I could be accused of 'Vimto-ism'? :frown:

ELFMAN
18th October 2011, 05:54 PM
From other forums..it appears that the factory JCW one will be louder on standard S's than the Stage1 one...
The Factory one is all one piece tailpipes, where the stage 1 one has separate tailpipes that you have to attach...

Burple, the Stage 1 Exhaust has separate 'Works' logo'd TRIMS which go on the tailpipes with an Allen Key bolt/thingy, as opposed to the JCW tailpipes which are part of the rear silencer. I don't think that would actually affect the noise level too much - maybe more to do with the different setup (does the Factory JCW not have a different downpipe from the standard R56?) and higher power output.

My Milltek Downpipe made the car sound much more 'serious' than the standard one, but I still I fancy swapping my front silencer section for a straight-through pipe - I THINK there's a section with a small box after the downpipe and before the rear section on the standard R56 (I have the standard rear section they took off when they fitted the Stage 1 Kit which is a straight pipe with the rear box and tailpipes - so the front pipe with silencer is still on the car), so it should split the same on the JCW System - I can't see under my car as it's in my garage 5 miles away... I keep meaning to check - if it's a case of simply replacing a silencer section with an pipe of appropriate dimeter - it's GONE! Anybody know offhand?

SuperCooperS
18th October 2011, 06:36 PM
if you stick a straight through on does it not make it very noisy?.. I quite like the spits and gurgles and a change of note when you put your foot down but not sure id like it if it was like a constant drone in the background if driving on motorways lots

stoney
18th October 2011, 07:36 PM
If its just a bit more nosie you are looking for I would go for a down pipe :) it will put of a nice sound with that :)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

AndyP & Lenore
18th October 2011, 07:59 PM
Speaking as a stage 1 owner, I'd agree the fJCW exhaust is louder than the stage 1 one. In fact the exhaust on ours is not much louder than a standard S. I do kinda like the JCW logo on ours though.

A.

ELFMAN
19th October 2011, 01:27 PM
In fact the exhaust on ours is not much louder than a standard S.

That's what I found Andy, and why the Downpipe change was a success from both a power and sound FX point of view.

SuperCooperS
19th October 2011, 05:23 PM
what kinda sound so you get the from the standard exhaust and a changed down pipe... and what prices are the down pipes?