PDA

View Full Version : TLC Pack

N16SHP
10th October 2011, 10:17 PM
Well, another visit to John Clark's and another departure feeling even less inspired by MINI these days. (please note, this is not John Clark's fault as I know they are tied to MINI terms and conditions of TLC but it's good to give them a wee dig in the ribs while I'm on the topic :D)

My TLC pack runs out in Jan, so I went into the dealer to see about getting a service as the car has been sounding a little gruff when it starts up and my service light has also came on. I asked the guy in service to check when my TLC was up, and if I could book it in, but wait for it...I am not entitled to another service with TLC because I have not done enough miles. If I want another service and get all my filters and oil changed I'd have to do another 21,000 miles before January to get it for free. My car is coming up for 5 years old and only done 24,000 miles. I know because it's a low mileage car it shouldn't need that much servicing but it still gets used daily going from one side of town to the other. If I am being a complete moron and not noticing something here can someone please put me out my misery, but to me it seems like I'm being punished because I have not covered enough miles??

On a side note, I also asked what oil to put in as it needs topping up. He said Mobil 0w 40? Is this correct as i've read on other forums different stuff.

stoney
10th October 2011, 10:22 PM
0w-40 sounds right to me thats what i put in mine

as for the tlc i use mine just about in time but i do get an oil and filter change at about 1/2 interval but just get it done my self dont go to mini as it cost an arm and a leg the only thing i can suggest is take out the tlc xl witch will cover you for 3 years

SuperCooperS
10th October 2011, 10:25 PM
what do you think is causing it to sound a bit gruf if it has done so few miles? it is because it doesnt get regular long runs to warm it up properly and bits are worn?.That does seem a bit harsh of them to expect 21k miles to be covered in 2.5 months, youd better get motoring!.. I think its 0w 40 i use unless im very much mistaken

N16SHP
10th October 2011, 10:29 PM
0w-40 sounds right to me thats what i put in mine

as for the tlc i use mine just about in time but i do get an oil and filter change at about 1/2 interval but just get it done my self dont go to mini as it cost an arm and a leg the only thing i can suggest is take out the tlc xl witch will cover you for 3 years

Thanks dude, noted!

what do you think is causing it to sound a bit gruf if it has done so few miles? it is because it doesnt get regular long runs to warm it up properly and bits are worn?.That does seem a bit harsh of them to expect 21k miles to be covered in 2.5 months, youd better get motoring!.. I think its 0w 40 i use unless im very much mistaken

I'm not sure. I've got a 'proper' air filter in it, but think I'm going to give the oil a wee top up and see if that helps, could be running a little low.

Craig
10th October 2011, 10:47 PM
Neil, big gordy had the same issue with his one.. Tbh if your doing less miles, it actually means you have to do oil changes at say once per year as the engine will wear more if not getting up to temp properly. ;). Do this yourself, or at a local garage if your not comfortable...

For you I don't think the tlc xl is good value for you ;)

MINIme:)
10th October 2011, 11:38 PM
surely if the service light came on the service IS due? The indicators work to use based servicing I thought? (although your car newer than mine and may be different).

Are there any independent BM garages around aberdeen you could go to for better value if you're having to pay? I have used an independent BMW place in glasgow for the last couple of years and found them good. And much better value on account of having the right kit, a good nature and a portacabin in place of a flash showroom with coffee machines and biscuits. I like biscuits but I value uninflated prices even more. I found them on a google search after an 'unfortuante trust breaking incident' with the dealer.

N16SHP
11th October 2011, 12:54 PM
surely if the service light came on the service IS due? The indicators work to use based servicing I thought? (although your car newer than mine and may be different).

Are there any independent BM garages around aberdeen you could go to for better value if you're having to pay? I have used an independent BMW place in glasgow for the last couple of years and found them good. And much better value on account of having the right kit, a good nature and a portacabin in place of a flash showroom with coffee machines and biscuits. I like biscuits but I value uninflated prices even more. I found them on a google search after an 'unfortuante trust breaking incident' with the dealer.

Yeah, I use an independent BM garage in Aberdeen, I only use JC's for warranty or for TLC related stuff! Very much agree on what your saying about flash car show rooms etc, I believe the phrase 'all the gear, but no idea' should ring loud in some BM/MINI garages!

Stewart
11th October 2011, 01:15 PM
My cooper will be 4 this December and I have used the three services under the date not miles. Car is sitting on 25k. Got the first service and brake two years back then got the oil, plugs, air filter done there before I went on a wee holiday up north. Got the second brake service but had to pay as it was not covered.
a few weeks a service light came on and I thought the service guy had forgot to reset the car but it was for an inspection again it was free. I'll be on the look out for a place to do brake pads although the car is saying 9k front 10k rear still.

Surly the date would keep your tlc on track? My tlc worked out as expected with full use for a petrol cooper.

SuperCooperS
11th October 2011, 03:00 PM
Neil.. what garage do you use in Aberdeen ad are they much cheaper than the dealersip?

11th October 2011, 11:33 PM
Stewart I've been using RW Weavers in Cathcart. They did my brake pads and discs a couple of months ago.

Neil, My understanding is that independents can do warranty work no problem these days, as long as they're using genuine parts. Just the TLC stuff that I believe dealership is needed for. :thumbs up:

KenL
12th October 2011, 06:07 AM
Minime, did you mean that independents can carry out work without affecting the warranty? Don't think they can carry out warranty work as that is authorised and paid for by MINI.

ianking
12th October 2011, 08:08 AM
An independant vat registered garage can carry out a routine service without effecting a warranty as long as they service to the manufacturers schedule and use genuine parts. Thats certainly the case with all other makes so dont know how Mini could differ.

stoney
12th October 2011, 09:07 AM
An independant vat registered garage can carry out a routine service without effecting a warranty as long as they service to the manufacturers schedule and use genuine parts. Thats certainly the case with all other makes so dont know how Mini could differ.

Yep that's right as I get my van serviced at my local but still keep warranty

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

12th October 2011, 09:44 AM
Minime, did you mean that independents can carry out work without affecting the warranty? Don't think they can carry out warranty work as that is authorised and paid for by MINI.

Hi Ken, yes I think I probably did mean as you said! Thanks for clearing up :)

Stewart
12th October 2011, 06:58 PM
Stewart I've been using RW Weavers in Cathcart. They did my brake pads and discs a couple of months ago.

Neil, My understanding is that independents can do warranty work no problem these days, as long as they're using genuine parts. Just the TLC stuff that I believe dealership is needed for. :thumbs up:

RW Weavers in Cathcart- I live there:smilewinkgrin: its about a ten minute walk from the House. My Honda used to get serviced next door. Cheers I'll keep it in mind. So have you used them a few times?

How much was the bakes and pads? HF in Giffnock I think would be scary…..