PDA

View Full Version : Took a Coupe out yesterday...

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 08:02 PM
.... and loved it. :D

We were in Vardy's to have a look at Countryman's, and got chatting to John McKinstry and he very kindly gave us a set of keys to their Cooper S Coupe demonstrator. Only took it down to the services cut off on the A1 and then back to Vardy's, but it was enough to convince me this is a stunning driving car. The grip on the roundabouts was incredible - not sure if it was run flat or non run-flat - the performance from the engine was incredible. Easily as powerful as our dealer fitted JCW engine - or at least it felt that was when we were driving it.... Didn't really want to push it too hard as it is split new and nothing like run in.

The boot space is huge and the hatch between boot and driving compartment would be very handy for us.

TBH, it's put the Roadster back on the option list for us next year. If we weren't looking to go down to two cars and we wanted to change the MINI now, I'd have real real real trouble walking away from a Coupe. :yes nod:

Only one negative that I can think of... it did seem very noisy on the road. Lots of wind noise and lots of road noise. It was only a 15 minute test drive so couldn't really figure out where it was all coming from.

A.:D

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 08:11 PM
Read the title, and thought it was a bit harsh running one off the road. :hand:

I don’t think anyone would argue with the drive, it is after all one very stiff MINI. For me its just the looks that kill my interest.

The boot would probably have been perfect for two hounds - low sill and with a partition between them and the cabin.

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 08:26 PM
ill have to drive one to see what it is like.. I did say years ago that I would never have a mini because when they first came out they seems quite gimicky with the toggle switches and dials etc in comparison to the vws and vxs of the same era..it grew on my and three minis later.. totally love the minis and the mini scene associated.. im back to thinking id never have a coupe as I really dislike the roof as I feel it misfits the rest of the body style.. but it may grow on me and I might find myself owning one at some stage.. but at the moment id stick the the hatch style

stoney
8th October 2011, 08:35 PM
ill stick to the GP thanks but do want a drive in one :)

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm struggling to get why the looks of this car have met with such derision. I'm not trying to pick a fight - enough of that in another thread just now lol - I fully accept everyone is entitled to their opinion, and on a public discussion forum they are entitled to express it too.

Personally I think it's a thing of beauty. The way the car flows from bonnet to bumper is 100% spot on for me as a Coupe. And I'm really looking forward to seeing some really inventive graphics that owners put on these cars. To then take it out and have my knickers pulled down as well just seals the deal for me.

I'm more excited about this body-shape than I ever was about the Clubman or the Countryman. I still think the Clubman looks OK and you can make it look a bit better with inventive graphics and the Countryman can look bloody awful and very nice depending on the colour and graphics again.

But the coupe is a stunner. End of. For me. It's just a shame it's no good for us in our current situation.:frown:

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 08:57 PM
I think just because its new and never seen in the mini range before it takes a while for people to maybe warm to it.. I didnt like the clubman and cluntryman when they first came out but definately agree with you that depending on how they are kitted up and styled can either look dreadful or fantastic.. i generally like the concept of the the coupe in the mini range and sure if it was kitted and specked well with all the jcw gear and kit it would look ace but i think as a standard car with no alternations it doesnt look quite right in my mind.. I think that if the roof was the same colour as the rest do the body it would look better too

RobSco
8th October 2011, 09:11 PM
Glad to see that you Enjoyed your drive in the Mini Coupe Andy, bet you were posing around with the windows down...:lol:

I was through at Peter Vardy's yesterday afternoon and as you know your well looked after... :yes nod:

Craig
8th October 2011, 09:12 PM
Andy, you been on the whacky backy again......? the coupe is ugly end of... Listen to Mrs P, she knows best !!! ;)

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 09:16 PM
vardies is decent.. John Mckinstry is very helpful. was good chatting to him on the friday night launch and he was able to give plenty of advise and info and was happy to do so

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 09:17 PM
Andy, you been on the whacky backy again......? the coupe is ugly end of... Listen to Mrs P, she knows best !!! ;)

I said in my text to you that I was meeting resistance from Lenore, but only because I wanted one RIGHT HERE. RIGHT NOW! Whereas Mrs P is insisting we wait for the Roadster. She doesn't think the Coupe is ugly. Far from it. :yes nod: :D :hand:

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 09:18 PM
Glad to see that you Enjoyed your drive in the Mini Coupe Andy, bet you were posing around with the windows down...:lol:

I was through at Peter Vardy's yesterday afternoon and as you know your well looked after... :yes nod:

Must have missed you by mins. We were there at 4pm ish.

Craig
8th October 2011, 09:20 PM
I said in my text to you that I was meeting resistance from Lenore, but only because I wanted one RIGHT HERE. RIGHT NOW! Whereas Mrs P is insisting we wait for the Roadster. She doesn't think the Coupe is ugly. Far from it. :yes nod: :D :hand:

whatever.... :thud: the pair of you need to have a word.... IF the roadster was a hardtop folding roof, then it's gonna be great (if they upped the power to take consideration of the weight) but other than that, its a bad choice, cos its still gonna have a pram roof :frown:

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 09:29 PM
whatever.... :thud: the pair of you need to have a word.... IF the roadster was a hardtop folding roof, then it's gonna be great (if they upped the power to take consideration of the weight) but other than that, its a bad choice, cos its still gonna have a pram roof :frown:

If anyone suggest it looks like a hairdressers car, I shall visit them in the small hours and stick a bat up their night-dress.:smilewinkgrin:

A.:smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 09:32 PM
If anyone suggest it looks like a hairdressers car, I shall visit them in the small hours and stick a bat up their night-dress.:smilewinkgrin:

A.:smilewinkgrin:

if the (backwards baseball) cap fits :moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 09:33 PM
:popcorn:

:smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 09:34 PM
if the (backwards baseball) cap fits :moonie:

I think the backwards baseball cap looks COOL! :yes nod:

The Dogfather
too quick I was still editing :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
too quick I was still editing :Whistle:

I know. Wanted to get in there before you changed it. :D

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 09:45 PM
lol

Sportspack Mark
8th October 2011, 10:29 PM
I went over to DP MINI in Portadown on thursday for a stage in a coupe! it was fantastic

It felt so tight and planted and i have to admit i even liked the look of it. Went out on the test drive and i was told, take left, 2nd gear and hold her out :D

Oh flip me, compared to my Cooper this was a rocket ship!

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 10:32 PM
would the back end not be too light in very wet weather... with all that weight in the front

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 10:35 PM
I went over to DP MINI in Portadown on thursday for a stage in a coupe! it was fantastic

It felt so tight and planted and i have to admit i even liked the look of it. Went out on the test drive and i was told, take left, 2nd gear and hold her out :D

Oh flip me, compared to my Cooper this was a rocket ship!

Yeah! What this man said. :yes nod:

A.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 10:36 PM
would the back end not be too light in very wet weather... with all that weight in the front

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the weight distribution is like.:idunno: Don't ask Craig though, all he moans about is how it's as heavy as a fat pig at new year.:lol:

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 10:38 PM
Andy, I’d wait until the roadster comes out, that looks great……………. with the roof down

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 10:53 PM
Andy, I’d wait until the roadster comes out, that looks great……………. with the roof down

WELL! I was speaking to one of the sales girls at vardy's yesterday and she had been at a MINI corporate event where they showed the Coupe off. The Roadster was there as well but they weren't allowed to play with it or poke around it, but she did say that the fabric folding roof sits on the back of the car like a pram like the current convertible does. IF that's the case that would piss me off big time. I really hope she's mistaken in that. And to be fair all the sneak photo's show the roof (when folded down) hidden away from view - 1 series convertible styleee.

A.

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 10:57 PM
It looks as thought it folds away in the same way the MX5s roof does although its sits a little higher

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2009-Mini-Roadster-Concept-Side-View-588x291.jpg

http://images.intellichoice.com/sema_2007/2008_mazda_mx5_passenger_l.jpg

Sportspack Mark
8th October 2011, 10:59 PM
i don't think it has a folding roof, its supposed to be a canvas one like the cabby

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 11:02 PM
from pictures I have seen in the recent past, they give the impression that the back bit lifts up and takes in the roof and then sits back down...having a roof sitting at the back visible would look horrible

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 11:06 PM
i don't think it has a folding roof, its supposed to be a canvas one like the cabby

Lost me with that one Mark, the MX5 and the Roadster are both cloth roofs

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 11:07 PM

It's a folding fabric roof Mark.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 11:08 PM
from pictures I have seen in the recent past, they give the impression that the back bit lifts up and takes in the roof and then sits back down...having a roof sitting at the back visible would look horrible

Thats the impression that I get as well.

And I agree, having the roof sitting proud on a roadster is a big NOOOOOO!

A.

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2009-Mini-Roadster-Concept-Side-View-588x291.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iON0OyeDDK4/Tm0KvhCgGPI/AAAAAAAABzY/6Kg3rO8E1dY/s1600/trasera_mini_roadster_concept_2010_2.jpg

Sportspack Mark
8th October 2011, 11:10 PM
bugger why did i read that as a metal folding roof Duuuuh

ignore me :p

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 11:12 PM
from that angle it looks like the roof just tucks behind the metal seat safety hoops and might sit a little high... not completely flush and out of view

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 11:21 PM
Andy, it'll work the same way as the MX5 roof does, I’d imagine it would be manual as well.

AndyP & Lenore
8th October 2011, 11:31 PM
Andy, it'll work the same way as the MX5 roof does, I’d imagine it would be manual as well.

Manual? Hmmm. Would rather it was motorised. But, time will tell.

A.

The Dogfather
9th October 2011, 03:21 AM
Manual? Hmmm. Would rather it was motorised. But, time will tell.

A.

Manual = less weight = less moaning from Mr Davies

stoney
9th October 2011, 06:31 AM
a bad hairdressers car :lol:(need to put a backward cap on to cover the mess up :lol:) runs and hides

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2011, 07:24 AM
a bad hairdressers car :lol:(need to put a backward cap on to cover the mess up :lol:) runs and hides

You better run and hide, sunshine. After last weeks wind-up you're still in my doghouse anyway. :ragin: :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2011, 07:25 AM
Manual = less weight = less moaning from Mr Davies

True. :yes nod:

KenL
9th October 2011, 06:59 PM
Glad you liked the Coupe. Still not had a chance to go and see it.

SuperCooperS
9th October 2011, 07:09 PM
I actually prefer the roadster than the coupe.. id happily take the roof off all together and just use it for sunny days

Stewart
9th October 2011, 10:12 PM
Did you find the front screen a big difference and the rear visibility from your Mini?

I was just in one having a look and a play at the dealers myself while the car was in for its inspection. It felt very cocooned to me. Looks wise I don’t mind it at all now that I’ve seen so many pictures of it kitted out with the sports pack.

The only thing that puts me off is I can still see a bit of the Classic Mini shape that I grew up with the Hatch and the Coupe is another step away from the look that attracted me to the New Mini. I’d be really surprised if it did not feel as good as the Hatch to drive as its still the same running gear that makes the Mini so nice to drive.

When does the Roadster hit the roads is it early or late next year?

SuperCooperS
9th October 2011, 10:21 PM
I kno what you mean about the actual styling.. when my red R53 was parked beside the original mini the lines where almost identical across the whole profile.. the R56 is more bulbus but still resembles.. I hope future minis to come dont movve completely away from the classic styling.. otherwise they are just funky BMWs... I havet actually sat in a coupe yet but a few people have said they feel cramped and feel different but im assuming like you they will run and feel similar to drive

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2011, 10:37 PM
Certainly didn't feel cramped to me guys.

According to John at Vardy's, Roadster is due out March/April 2012.

A.

The Dogfather
9th October 2011, 10:38 PM
I do hope MINI don’t move away from the original classic styling if the coupe is successful, that would be a massive mistake IMO.

Stewart
9th October 2011, 10:52 PM
That’s my biggest fear with Mini, that it does just become a morphing cash machine that has forgotten why most of us got one in the first place and that is the original classic. If I can still get the hatch the looks Mini then I'm happy.

If I cant squint my eyes and still see what I class is a Mini It will be a sad day. I keep waiting for square headlights and wings that are flat…..

SuperCooperS
9th October 2011, 10:55 PM
ohh noo dont jinx it lol.. i tend to hang on to my cooper s for a long time and look after it.. so that i have a kinda mini mini is a few years and one that is still recongised as being a mini and not just cause it has a seeminly growing in size badge that says mini

stoney
9th October 2011, 11:06 PM
Well we are due a change of shape they redesign the hatch every 7 years and do a face lift 3-1/2 years I have also been told ther is a R56 GP on the way

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

SuperCooperS
9th October 2011, 11:09 PM
an R56 GP.. that sounds tasty... have you seen pics? pitty you cant get a mean GP clubby.. a GP coupe would also work

Stewart
9th October 2011, 11:10 PM
growing in size badge that says mini

Good friend has the Countryman All 4 S and don’t get me wrong it looks a really nice car but parked side by side on the drive I’ll take my Cooper Hatch ( well until it snows) every time. Great second car if you have kids to chuck in the back like she does.

But its all Badge and little substance in my view and it’s a fecking big badge at that, almost trying too hard to point out it’s a Mini…..

stoney
9th October 2011, 11:13 PM
Nope just was told by some one at Liverpool going to be 2 seats and lots of power :) so could be one to look out for

SuperCooperS
9th October 2011, 11:22 PM
Stewart... I really like the All 4 S they can look really great.. havent driven one.. but intend to.. the words.. "if I stay and settle in Aberdeen I might get one so it is a good all year round car and good for snow" did come out of my mouth to a friend.. but would intend to keep my hatch for second car

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 04:45 AM
Stewart... "if I stay and settle in Aberdeen I might get one so it is a good all year round car and good for snow" did come out of my mouth to a friend.. but would intend to keep my hatch for second car

That would be an expensive mistake, a set of winter tyres would make your current MINI superior to a Countryman 4 All in the snow. The Countryman is fitted with normal road tyres from what I can figure out, which are hopeless in winter conditions. Yes, the 4x4 will get you going but is no use for helping you make a turn or stop. My snow tyre equipped MINI: -

zimbo
10th October 2011, 09:20 AM
Nope just was told by some one at Liverpool going to be 2 seats and lots of power :) so could be one to look out for

That'll do me nicely :yes nod: if it's based on the hatch it gets a :thumbs up: if it's based on the Coupe' then it gets a :moonie:

:lol:

Andy from what I recall the roadster is a manual folding roof to help save weight etc and can be done apparently from sitting right where you are in the drivers/passenger seat and not having to get out of the car to do so.

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 09:37 AM
Here's another pic showing the wind defector and storage compartment (http://60goingon16.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/26/pram.jpg)

stoney
10th October 2011, 09:56 AM
That'll do me nicely :yes nod: if it's based on the hatch it gets a :thumbs up: if it's based on the Coupe' then it gets a :moonie:

:lol:

Yep it is to be based on the hatch as I am lead to believe

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 10:17 AM
The reason why the roadster's roof looks like a pram is the shape, its curved.

The TT suffers the same comparison, if they'd gone with a squared off roof it would look better IMO

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2011, 11:52 AM
Here's another pic showing the wind defector and storage compartment (http://60goingon16.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/26/pram.jpg)

Verry funny dude.:lol:

And I've fixed the link for you.:yes nod: If you have any trouble embedding links to your posts don't hesitate to ask a mod in the future.:moonie:

Sheilz
10th October 2011, 08:16 PM

OMG I love that pram. Had the same in brown for my lot. Such a shame almost buy a car for less than one of these now. Honestly you could put almost everything but the kitchen sink into one of these. Much better storage than specy every had.

markjbb
10th October 2011, 09:03 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317347_10150349407949871_742484870_7870607_1613128 544_n.jpg

the roof need to look more like this. it needs a better curve to it but you get the idea :P

p.s does that read better supercoopers lol

SuperCooperS
10th October 2011, 09:10 PM
I think I understood that text underneath lol.. but yes a curve downwards looks good

N16SHP
10th October 2011, 09:28 PM
I went and had a squint at the Coupe on Saturday, and actually having reserved judgement until I seen it in the flesh I'm glad I did. Really like the look of it, especially with the tail up, and the boot size is fantastic. However, I do use my back seats so it's going to be a no from me, but looking forward to seeing what some folk will do with them styling wise!

Stewart
10th October 2011, 09:30 PM
I think if you do that above you’ve entered into a new ball game with regards to the Aerodynamics of the car with regards to the rear spoilers.

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 09:30 PM
It looks better but its still not quite right, I think its just a case that the MINI doesn’t suit being made into a coupe, the floating roof just doesn’t gel

SuperCooperS
10th October 2011, 09:43 PM
I agree... it looks like two different cars.. it is like they said ok. heres the mini lets fiddle the roof and see what happens

markjbb
10th October 2011, 09:54 PM
I think I understood that text underneath lol.. but yes a curve downwards looks good

lol i didn't read it over before posting

Stewart
10th October 2011, 10:02 PM
http://image.motortrend.com/f/33187285+w786+ar1/2012-mini-coupe-profile.jpg

I think that roof line draws your eye to much from what is otherwise not a bad looking wee car.

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 10:04 PM
I think that roof line draws your eye to much from what is otherwise not a bad looking wee car.

Thats because 85% of it is still the hatch.

Stewart
10th October 2011, 10:09 PM
Thats because 85% of it is still the hatch.
Right we just need to fix the other 15%

http://image.motortrend.com/f/33738860+w786+ar1/2012-Mini-Coupe-side-profile.jpg

SuperCooperS
10th October 2011, 10:13 PM
it might actually look nicer without the spoiler breaking the nice sloping line of the roof and back window..

The Dogfather
10th October 2011, 10:18 PM
Two mockups that went without the floating roof

http://www.diariomotor.com/imagenes/cwwcardesing-mini-coupe.jpg

http://cdn.blogautomobile.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Mini_coupé_concept.jpg

First one is Cayman inspired, the second is RCZ I think

stoney
10th October 2011, 10:23 PM
think it looks very TT like that as well looks much nicer like that but still not one i would bye

SuperCooperS
10th October 2011, 10:28 PM
im surprised im saying this.. but seeing that RCZ version.. i likey.. most more than the production model

weefossy
10th October 2011, 10:30 PM
Just catching upon this thread after trip to Cork. I think the hairdresser thing has already been said on previous post ;)
;)

Re the Coupe, it's definately growing on me and in the right colour scheme it looks good. We saw a black one with silver roof in Lloyds Carlisle and it looked great. Think it will become a big hit with the "hairdressers"...... could take over from the MX5 Paul? :D

Well, that's killed it for the Petrolheads Malcolm! http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/mad2.gif http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/smilewinkgrin.gif

I didn't think it had any more power than a normal hatch and as I drive sitting high and upright, I found I was having to duck down to see properly out the windscreen. There is also a very bad "blind spot" on the rear quarters, especially if you are coming out of a junction at an angle. The convertible was very bad for that too when the hood was up. But the looks are growing on me, but as Mom is happy (for now) with her Van, don't think we will be getting one.

ELFMAN
11th October 2011, 12:48 AM
it might actually look nicer without the spoiler breaking the nice sloping line of the roof and back window..

I read that the roof spoiler and the 'pop-up' spoiler are essential to counteract the drag and lift caused by the roof design...
- -
Although I think the Coupe looks nice in JCW guise in Lightning Blue/Black with black JCW alloys, speccing one on the configurator took it to £25K without ticking too many boxes. Like Malcolm, I'm also not convinced about the rearward visibility, which I think I might find a pain in daily use. I do like the big boot, but the thought of the deciding factor in buying a sporty coupe being a practical boot is automotive irony in the extreme. So although it's a good effort, I still reckon it's not going to drag me away from my hatch. Now an R56 GP might just do it - if I don't turn mine into one first! :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
11th October 2011, 05:47 PM
A lot of people were left disappointed it did not raise the bar with handling and being a lighter model but it’s becoming more apparent if there is to be a R56 GP.

One for the style conscious and one for the petrol head that wants the extra power and handling with distinctive enough looks to set it apart. I think there is room for a new GP as I’m seeing far to many Works these days.

stoney
11th October 2011, 06:21 PM
depends on what the R56 GP is like i would love it if it was done proper with proper seats not the heavy heated one's ect ect it may tempt me but need some thing with more than 2 seats for my next car

edd44
12th October 2011, 08:25 PM
I didnt like the look of the it when i first saw pictures in the press of it , but after i saw one up close and had a wee poke around.... loved it.. :thumbs up: also think it will depend on colour...

Stewart
13th October 2011, 01:11 AM
Yeah they do look better in the flesh, not seen one with the works kit on or on the road just at the dealers.

Black roof every time or I think that roof just stands out too much....I guess it's hard there is that many coupes about.

Some of the suggested roof lines would just look like this...
http://www.burnmycar.com/Peugeot-RCZ-Sports-Coupe/Photo/677/1-Peugeot-RCZ-43.JPG

zimbo
13th October 2011, 09:49 AM
Now your talking, take that roof off the Pug and put it on the Coupe' and then I'd be interested :thumbs up: (think a little photoshopping is in order)