PDA

View Full Version : oil from my turbo good or bad?

mark1984
5th October 2011, 08:00 PM
i have a small amount of brown/black oil comeing from the right side of my turbo on my mini cooper d 2007 it has 34k on the clock now.
it is still under warenty till march but i have to take the car 60 miles every time i want to have them check it. so can any one offer me any help what could it be? it is not a massive ammount of oil but enuff to notice that is is comeing from my turbo.

SuperCooperS
6th October 2011, 03:10 PM
Hi, apparently a common problem encountered with turbocharger operations is the “turbocharger oil leak”. Often the assumption is made that the turbo is at fault. This can cause unnecessary maintenance to be performed. In many cases the “oil leak” is not a turbo problem-rather it is caused by either improper turbo installation or engine maintenance.

Noticing oil comming from the turbo charger and or finding oil in your exhaust you have a choice of options...

Remove intake tubes and wash out oil. Re-install and run engine for short period. Remove intake tube and see whether oil is traveling from turbo to cylinder or visa versa. Oil in the exhaust system upstream of the turbocharger indicates malfunction such as problems with rings, pistons, or valves. If engine idles too slow, turbo does not turn allowing oil to leak from compressor seal. Leak in compressor seal can be caused by:
(a) air cleaner element clogged or restriction in duct between air cleaner and turbocharger which can cause oil to be drawn past the turbocharger seal at the compressor end,
(b) restriction or faulty check valve in turbocharger oil drain line, which may raise the oil level in the turbocharger center housing and cause seal leakage,
(c) malfunction in oil scavenge pump,
(d) restriction in engine crankcase breather,
(e) worn or damaged compressor wheel,
(f) turbocharger shaft bearings or bearing bores worn,
(g) crankcase pressurization causing backpressure into oil drain line due to piston blowby.

Might be worthwhile getting the dealership to check to see if you have problems elsewhere other than the turbo charger itself..Hope this was of some help

Cheers

Stephen

Gismo
6th October 2011, 05:04 PM
As its under warranty i would get the dealer to check it out, then, since you had reported it before the warranty actually expires gives you some grounds in the near future after the expiry to make a deal in the event that they say nothing is wrong should it fail

mark1984
7th October 2011, 06:50 AM
i will get on to the dealer today and then like u say i have some ground if my warenty is out and it fails thanks for the advice

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Mark.. where you about to shed any light about your oil leak?

mark1984
9th October 2011, 07:24 AM
well i have not been to have it checked out yet but when i do i will be sure to let you all know