PDA

View Full Version : Strut tower mushrooming

Dundee Checkmate
29th September 2011, 09:44 AM
Oh no:eek:
I have n/s front strut tower mushrooming:argh:
Can anyone advise me a much cheapness solution.

The top of the tower is deformed and the rubber is split making a creeky noise.

Big Gordy
29th September 2011, 12:13 PM
Mmmmmmmmm......think that's a first for this forum :eek: Can't recall anyone on here having that problem..?? maybe some of our resident racers can help you out :thumbs up:

Craig
29th September 2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah, like Gordy, never heard of this on the forum before, although there have been some down south. Minimax Motorsport at Knockhill would be my recommendation. Ask for Craig Noble - he's the guru !!

stoney
29th September 2011, 01:19 PM
Have herd of it before but as others have said fist time I have known it on here bit as Craig said speak to the other Craig :)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Mon the fish
29th September 2011, 01:42 PM
I've had it on the nearside, fairly easy fix:

- Jack car up
- Remove wheel
- Place bit of 2x4 on top of the strut
- Hit with sledge until strut is flat again
- Get either the M7 plates, or a strut brace with protection to stop it happening again.

Dundee Checkmate
29th September 2011, 10:48 PM
It's in the garage getting a new strut top, but I will be putting on some sort of strut brace so it does not happen again.
done some research and it looks like a problem with the materials used in manufacture,,, not strong enough!

Mon the fish
30th September 2011, 08:33 AM
Make sure you don't buy the JCW one, it's as much use as tying string between your struts

stoney
30th September 2011, 08:56 AM
Gtt one is the best one to go for :)

Dundee Checkmate
30th September 2011, 09:49 AM
I was thinking about the m7 strut brace, anyone got one of these?
I will check out the GTT

when the problem occurs it a right old mess, the top of the tower deforms as the strut top plate fold up from the centre out, actually causing the strut tower to deform. the rubber at the centre has burst wide open and the handling is a right mess. I'm getting mine repaired under warranty, however if it happens to you you might not be so lucky. If your getting a strut brace to prevent this, you need to get one that acts as a compression support for the top sheet of metal that is the top of the strut tower.

My advice, get one as the repair ain't cheep.

Mon the fish
30th September 2011, 01:30 PM
The M7 stuff is the best at prevention of this, as they're the only people to really take this issue seriously

Dundee Checkmate
30th September 2011, 09:36 PM
That's it fixed,just waiting for the brace now

stoney
30th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Glad it's all fixed

Dundee Checkmate
1st October 2011, 02:28 PM
That's the M7 brace on order, will be driving like a granny till it arrives and is fitted. The mini does not react well to momentary departures from the tarmac.
If you drive roads with lift off crests get a brace, Blairgowrie to Glenshee being one of them.

Dundee Checkmate
14th December 2011, 12:16 AM
Well after a 9 week wait for a M7 brace, it hasn't come, so I've ordered a GTT and a few days later it arrived. What a fine looking bit of kit. Will fit it tomorrow.

Gismo
14th December 2011, 04:52 AM
I had all the GTT braces on my last UK R53 :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
14th December 2011, 01:21 PM
The GTT's look awesome...!!

Dundee Checkmate
15th December 2011, 07:40 PM
That's the brace fitted, it's made a big difference to the way the car feels.:thumbs up:
When I go over bumps potholes etc there is a much less shock impact getting passed through the suspension into the car and the ride is more plush. The creeks the car interior had seem to have disappeared also.:thumbs up:

The steering is way more responsive and the car is more sure footed holding a nice line under Acceleration. I seem to be driving the car faster with more confidence. It's a blast on the roundabouts;).

All in all a great buy £270 5 mins to fit, get one:thumbs up:

Craig
15th December 2011, 09:47 PM
Great news :santa:

stoney
15th December 2011, 10:55 PM
Good glad you see an improvement :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
16th December 2011, 09:13 AM
Get hold of the OMP lower as well, for £50 it really adds to a good top brace

ELFMAN
16th December 2011, 04:13 PM
That's the brace fitted, it's made a big difference to the way the car feels.:thumbs up:
When I go over bumps potholes etc there is a much less shock impact getting passed through the suspension into the car and the ride is more plush. The creeks the car interior had seem to have disappeared also. The steering is way more responsive and the car is more sure footed holding a nice line under Acceleration. I seem to be driving the car faster with more confidence. It's a blast on the roundabouts;)

Great when a plan comes together isn't it?
I've been quite lucky in that all the mods I've done have improved my car, and it feels really good when you 'test' the car after each one and think 'Ya Dancer!:dance:That WORKED!" :motoring: :thumbs up:

Stewart
17th December 2011, 05:00 PM
A brace has always fascinated me, to me my wee car holds the road and turns into corners with that Mini feel but its not a bang snorting wee monster like some.:smilewinkgrin:

I think if I ever went up a tier or two to the works I’d get this done, may as well have the car feel the best it can if you’ve spent a serious amount on it.

Glad it all worked out, don’t push it too much to prove appoint in this weather ;)

Mon the fish
17th December 2011, 06:43 PM
For £50 the lower brace is the best-value mod you can get IMO, in that you can feel the difference immediately. Handling before power

stoney
17th December 2011, 07:17 PM
For £50 the lower brace is the best-value mod you can get IMO, in that you can feel the difference immediately. Handling before power

yep 2nd that you can pick them up cheap on ebay some times as well :)

Dundee Checkmate
17th December 2011, 11:38 PM
It's just amazing how well it handles and gets the power down, it really feels more powerful, probably getting better traction. I wonder why cars aren't fitted with them as standard?
You know the rough banging ride you get with RF tyres, it's gone:yes nod:
Im gona go the lower brace as well and the under chase and stiffen it right up. Won't bother with the rear as the dog needs the space:thumbs up:

Craig
18th December 2011, 12:22 AM
Get the cabrio braces aswell as the lower as that helps also ;)

Dundee Checkmate
18th December 2011, 12:25 AM
Do you have a link for that?

stoney
18th December 2011, 11:34 AM
Get them from bmw ;)
Have a look at real oem
Under the convertible bit and should find part numbers there ;)

Mon the fish
18th December 2011, 07:29 PM
And change your lower front wishbone bushes, they go at circa 30k miles. Polybush them when you do the braces and voila, the car is better than it was when it left the factory!