PDA

View Full Version : Sooty exhaust?? & dodgy cornering

Jim Burns
25th September 2011, 09:48 PM
Hi All
I have fitted:powerflo exhaust, irridium plugs, magnacore leads, green cotton pannel filter & a 15% reduced pulley, my exhaust tips are now covered with a thick soot??, i am thinking about a bluefin remap from costal racing (for use with reduced pulley & up-rated filter) i have been quoted 15-20 bhp extra & better fuel economy, but does any-one know if this remap would sort the soot problem?? & what would cause the soot?? it was not there before the pulley was fitted.

Also the handling is rubbish, i have lost the back end twice now & this was not with enthusiastic cornering??, i have fitted eibach lowering springs, brembo discs & EBC pads, and a strut brace, i have ordered a alta 22mm anti sway (roll) bar, will this help with the handling
Thanks in advance
Jim

Jim Burns
25th September 2011, 09:50 PM
Oh and anyone in the aberdeen area want to buy a pulley removal tool for £40, used once

The Dogfather
25th September 2011, 10:12 PM
You didn’t say what tyres you had fitted. If you’re loosing the back end without going fast then there’s something seriously wrong with either the tyres or the suspension.

Jim Burns
25th September 2011, 10:53 PM
Dunlop SP Sport front, Hankooks rear (front brand new), hope the anti roll bar fixes the problem.
My last car was rear wheel drive & i felt MUCH more stable round corners

The Dogfather
26th September 2011, 01:17 AM
Are both sets run flats? Were the roads wet when the back end went?

The anti roll bar won’t fix the problem.

Mon the fish
26th September 2011, 09:38 AM
A stiffer rear bar will increase oversteer. I've got the Whiteline rear bar, and it's made my car nicely balanced - no issues here.

The stock map does run rich, so you do get some soot on the exhaust; shouldn't be too bad though. Have you checked for vacuum leaks around the intercooler, or the bypass valve?

And avoid the bluefin - I've heard too many stories of it running too lean and a piston going. Better to get a proper remap for your car, not a generic one

Jim Burns
30th September 2011, 01:00 AM
Tyres are not run flat, & damn already bought the bluefin,
bluefin c/w costal racing map = £300, i was quoted £650 from wallace performance so will have to 'suck it & see'

Mon the fish
30th September 2011, 08:29 AM
1320 charge approx £1k for Newman, 550 injectors and custom tune, which is far better value for money IMO - 20-30 bhp increase, and better fuel consumption too

stoney
30th September 2011, 08:54 AM
Yep what mon said much better geting a custom remap done :)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

The Dogfather
30th September 2011, 11:09 AM
Tyres are not run flat, & damn already bought the bluefin,
bluefin c/w costal racing map = £300, i was quoted £650 from wallace performance so will have to 'suck it & see'

Are the tyres cheapo chinese or proper branded ones?

Jim Burns
30th September 2011, 01:53 PM
Tyres were not cheap from quick fit
Car in Clark motorsport & have been told that my rear brakes are seizing, damn, getting stripped/refurbed & new drop links fitted while the sway bar is fitted too
Heres hoping that this it sorted until i get AP racing brakes fitted next year, stuck with the bluefin jsut have to see how it panns out

The Dogfather
30th September 2011, 05:48 PM
Kwik Fit sell cheapo tyres, tyres like Goodride, Nankang, High Performer, Triangle, GT Radial, Wanli and Linglong are all budget ditch finders.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

T (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm)o be blunt if you put budget tyres, like the brands above, on your car you are putting your own and other lives at risk.

Jim Burns
30th September 2011, 11:05 PM
Dunlop supersposts front, hankook rear, changing the rear to dunlops next month, 22mm alta rear sway bar is brilliant what a differance

The Dogfather
1st October 2011, 01:41 AM
Good shout, never mix tyres if you can help it. Most Hankooks are fairly good so can imagine they’re causing the loss of the back end.