PDA

View Full Version : The RF's are finally gone.

GCA3N
21st September 2011, 08:05 PM
Just back from getting 4 new tyres and tbh i am driving a different car.
My biggest dissapointment is i never did this earlier.

For those that don't know i just changed from bridgestone potenza runflats to hankook v12 evo non runflats.

I cannot tell you how improved the car feels. Apart from all the wee things like the rattles from inside have all but gone and the road noise is drastically reduced its the overall handling and road feel is night and day.

I was fortunate enough to have a good 20 mile drive home which had a good variety of roads types surfaces and thanks to the good Scottish weather dry, damp and extremely wet roads too.

Before i set off i removed the traction control and locked the differential and hit the sport button.

In the dry the tyres were awesome i mean they were like glue to the road but it was the wet and damp conditions that gave me the biggest surprise.

Now i know i had well worn runflats so going to anything else would have been an improvement but Damn these tyres were just stunning. What i noticed most was how much the steering felt different more directional its hard to explain but felt so much better.

I noticed a little more Tyre roll than before but that's to be expected. Anyway i am over the moon and i urge anyone thinking of this to do it.

In case anyone wonders i bought a can of holts Tyre weld in the event i pick up a puncture. I know this is a chance but i can't keep driving my car with these horrible tyres any more.

A couple of pics.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/519b2017-22b6-4dcc.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/519b2017-22d4-d82d.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/Project1-46.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/519b2017-2314-268c.jpg

sent from my galaxy S ll

The Dogfather
21st September 2011, 08:09 PM
I was running those on my Clubbie, good tyres but I thought they lacked a bit of feedback....

Craig
21st September 2011, 08:23 PM
Glad you got sorted Greig ;). And at half the price of runflats it's a no brainer !!! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
21st September 2011, 08:35 PM
I was running those on my Clubbie, good tyres but I thought they lacked a bit of feedback....

Now granted I have not had them long, but gave it a wee bit on the way home and there's no way I could have said they lacked feedback. I know that you are the guru on tyres so I won't argue.

GCA3N
21st September 2011, 08:35 PM
Glad you got sorted Greig ;). And at half the price of runflats it's a no brainer !!! :thumbs up:

Should have done it years ago :D

Gismo
21st September 2011, 08:50 PM
I was running those on my Clubbie, good tyres but I thought they lacked a bit of feedback....just read Greig's report :Whistle: :lol:

The Dogfather
21st September 2011, 09:25 PM
Now granted I have not had them long, but gave it a wee bit on the way home and there's no way I could have said they lacked feedback. I know that you are the guru on tyres so I won't argue.

Mine were 17R215/45, yours are on 18s so you'll have a lot less sidewall than mine. I'm comparing them to the rainsports which gave a lot of feedback.

ianking
22nd September 2011, 08:13 AM
I would have been waiting until they were scrubbed in before letting off the traction control and giving it the beans.

Mon the fish
22nd September 2011, 08:28 AM
Turning off the TC is the best way of scrubbing tyres in ;)

GCA3N
22nd September 2011, 04:08 PM
I would have been waiting until they were scrubbed in before letting off the traction control and giving it the beans.

Sorry remind me where I said I gave it the beans? 99 times out of 100 I turn the gizmo's off Ian as the car drives alot better without electronic interferance.

GCA3N
22nd September 2011, 04:08 PM
Turning off the TC is the best way of scrubbing tyres in ;)

Exactly :thumbs up:

Stewart
22nd September 2011, 06:37 PM
Even in my cooper on 16” when I went from RF to Non I felt a difference apart from the bonus of the car not being shook to hell on the road.

At first I thought “oh this feel strange now, have I done the right thing” but best thing I’ve done on the car was to take it off those blooming RF…..

Glad your enjoying the tyres.

GCA3N
23rd September 2011, 06:05 AM
Even in my cooper on 16” when I went from RF to Non I felt a difference apart from the bonus of the car not being shook to hell on the road.

At first I thought “oh this feel strange now, have I done the right thing” but best thing I’ve done on the car was to take it off those blooming RF…..

Glad your enjoying the tyres.

Cheers Buddy :thumbs up:

ianking
23rd September 2011, 09:14 AM
Sorry remind me where I said I gave it the beans? 99 times out of 100 I turn the gizmo's off Ian as the car drives alot better without electronic interferance.

So you switch all the electronic aids off and drive it like miss daisy then? Come on, you cant kid a kidder. The aids are only going to kick in and alter the driving experience if you are pushing the car hard enough for them to be working. Otherwise, unless you are Gordon Shedden you really are not going to notice the difference. Putting them off and driving the car hard makes it quite different and what I was referring to was that new tyres come with a greasy film on them and that can generally take about 100 miles to clean off and key into the rubber giving them good grip.

ELFMAN
23rd September 2011, 03:40 PM
Just back from getting 4 new tyres and tbh i am driving a different car.
My biggest dissapointment is i never did this earlier.

My sentiments exactly Greig, I'm well happy with my JCW Suspension, but I might have stuck with the 'standard' Sports Suspension a bit longer if I had ditched the runflats... however I reckon I've got the best of both worlds now - better handling/composure with the JCW gear AND the tyres to exploit it. ENJOY! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
23rd September 2011, 03:52 PM
My sentiments exactly Greig, I'm well happy with my JCW Suspension, but I might have stuck with the 'standard' Sports Suspension a bit longer if I had ditched the runflats... however I reckon I've got the best of both worlds now - better handling/composure with the JCW gear AND the tyres to exploit it. ENJOY! :thumbs up:

Cheers Euan, will do mate :thumbs up:

Mark M
24th September 2011, 11:42 PM
I have noticed a massive difference changing to non RF.

I just took out personal breakdown cover for use in the event of a puncture. Screw ruining a tyre with tyre weld if you don't have to.

The Dogfather
25th September 2011, 08:54 AM
My MX5 doesn’t have a spare but strangely enough Mazda didn’t fit run flats. Do they actually care about how a car handles unlike BMW?

stoney
25th September 2011, 09:16 AM
So you switch all the electronic aids off and drive it like miss daisy then? Come on, you cant kid a kidder. The aids are only going to kick in and alter the driving experience if you are pushing the car hard enough for them to be working. Otherwise, unless you are Gordon Shedden you really are not going to notice the difference. Putting them off and driving the car hard makes it quite different and what I was referring to was that new tyres come with a greasy film on them and that can generally take about 100 miles to clean off and key into the rubber giving them good grip.

Ghats what I say as well t/c only interferes if driving very hard mine hardly ever kicks in even if having fun :)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Mon the fish
25th September 2011, 08:20 PM
The TC on the R53 is certainly dimwitted - going over a crest it can cut the power if it detects even the slightest bit of slip, and it takes an age for it to allow the power back in

stoney
25th September 2011, 08:31 PM
The TC on the R53 is certainly dimwitted - going over a crest it can cut the power if it detects even the slightest bit of slip, and it takes an age for it to allow the power back in

yep you are right but i think its been dulled down a bit in the GP seem to kick in a lot les than it did with my old JCW