PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Mobility Kit ???

RobSco
18th September 2011, 10:50 PM
As I presently have Run Flats on my Mini and when the time comes to change them know what direction to take as I've read all your views on Run Flats and the majority of you have changed to Normal Tyres for better road handling and apart from that, there is a big difference in price... :yes nod:

What I would like to know is, My last Mini had the BMW Tyre Mobility Kit and these can be bought on the internet on Ebay at a reasonable price if you can win one or I can buy a brand new one for around £103 (I don't think so), have any of you used any other Tyre Mobility Kits that are available on the market at a lower price as I've noticed the following or am I better trying to get a BMW Tyre Mobility Kit...

www.slime.com

www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-50033-Emergency-Repair-Compressor/dp/B00336YCO

Would like to know your views on what you've used or where I can get something that would do the same, or is there something better on the market...

Cheers... :thumbs up:

Gismo
18th September 2011, 11:13 PM
I once had non run flats and had a sidewall puncture that the mobility kit could not fix.

GCA3N
19th September 2011, 09:49 AM
Can of tyre weld that's what I'll be using when the RF's go next month.

MiniSnaps
19th September 2011, 11:34 AM
Can of tyre weld that's what I'll be using when the RF's go next month.

Bonnypack in Glasgow were doing cans of tyre weld (I'd need to check the brand) for something like £2.50 plus vat, the same cans were in Tesco for £7, that and a decent pump will do the job. If you're buying a Mobility kit off Ebay remember the can of foam might be 5 or 6 years old......

MINIme:)
19th September 2011, 01:06 PM
I've just ordered my new car without the spare and am wondering whether I can retrofit the spare wheel at a later date if I then wish/have any problems with the foam. I believe it's slung under the car in a basket/bracket and not clear if it needs to be factory built Does anyone know? R56 with 16" fitted.

EcosseGP
19th September 2011, 01:07 PM
If you keep checking your local Asda they reduce them every now n then to £2. Not on offer just now still at £6 but just keep checking ..

ELFMAN
19th September 2011, 01:20 PM
I spent about £84.00 on a brand new Mobility Kit from my dealer when I switched to non-runflats, and about £7.00 for a 'spare' can of Tyre Weld. I also carry a footpump just in case the compressor has a seizure - so hopefully I've covered most of the bases. Thankfully haven't had to use any of them... yet. I suppose if I wreck a wheel/tyre I'm stuck - I'd probably call the 'MINI Recovery' thing (my car's still covered being under 3 years old) and chance my arm! Next year I'll get Green Flag cover for £30.00 - making sure I'm covered for the MINI puncture/no spare tyre scenario...

I thought about a 'Space Saver' wheel/tyre, but haven't got around to doing anything about that. It'd need to be safely fixed somewhere when not in use and if I got a front puncture, I'd have to swap the rear alloy to the front and put the space saver on the rear, as I doubt a space saver would clear the big front brakes.

MINIme:)
19th September 2011, 01:42 PM
dealer tells me it needs to be done at build.

MiniSnaps
19th September 2011, 02:06 PM
Next year I'll get Green Flag cover for £30.00

If you go through Quidco you can get basic RAC roadside for £8 a year or the full package for under £30, that's what I did, two of us with homestart etc was £56 or something like that. On renewal the RAC sent a bill for the full price (£120 or so) but reduced it to £58 when I mentioned Quidco.....

GCA3N
19th September 2011, 02:43 PM
I spent about £84.00 on a brand new Mobility Kit from my dealer when I switched to non-runflats, and about £7.00 for a 'spare' can of Tyre Weld. I also carry a footpump just in case the compressor has a seizure - so hopefully I've covered most of the bases. Thankfully haven't had to use any of them... yet. I suppose if I wreck a wheel/tyre I'm stuck - I'd probably call the 'MINI Recovery' thing (my car's still covered being under 3 years old) and chance my arm! Next year I'll get Green Flag cover for £30.00 - making sure I'm covered for the MINI puncture/no spare tyre scenario...

I thought about a 'Space Saver' wheel/tyre, but haven't got around to doing anything about that. It'd need to be safely fixed somewhere when not in use and if I got a front puncture, I'd have to swap the rear alloy to the front and put the space saver on the rear, as I doubt a space saver would clear the big front brakes.

Do you not have the big brake kit fitted Euan. A spacer saver won't fit. I don't just mean the fronts BTW. I have carried a space saver upto aberdeen for a year now until I thought I'd try it on the rears and it didn't fit.

Stewart
19th September 2011, 04:34 PM
Tyre Weld and quality double footpump here.

markjbb
19th September 2011, 05:31 PM
i've got a can of tyre weld tucked into the left side panel in the boot it fits perfectly :) plus i bought a michelin tyre compressor that sits in the boot.

once i get a new head unit and get rid of the cd changer i'll try and make up a bracket to hold the compressor where the cd changer is

mark1984
20th September 2011, 06:48 AM
i prefer dog turds and a foot pump my self i keep a motor bike repair kit that has some turds a insertion tool and a hole cleaning tool in it and i cary a foot pump

ELFMAN
20th September 2011, 08:52 AM
Do you not have the big brake kit fitted Euan. A spacer saver won't fit. I don't just mean the fronts BTW. I have carried a space saver upto aberdeen for a year now until I thought I'd try it on the rears and it didn't fit.

Ahhh.... I knew it wouldn't fit the 4-Pot fronts Greig, but didn't think the rears would be a problem, as the calipers don't look hugely different from the previous ones. I'm 95% certain I wasn't going to go down that route anyway - hence the compressor/weld setup - but big ta :thumbs up: for flagging that one up for me and anyone else in the same boat (inflatable or not). I would've checked for def. beforehand, as I'm a tight-wad. :smilewinkgrin:

Cheers for the Quidco info MiniSnaps! :bigwave:

RobSco
24th September 2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the Feedback regarding this, much appreciated... :thumbs up:

If you're buying a Mobility kit off Ebay remember the can of foam might be 5 or 6 years old......

Was forgetting that the tyre sealant had a use by date, one I was watching on Ebay I sent a message to ask what date was on it, to this day I'm still waiting on a reply, this will make me very wary of buying it from Ebay, Thanks for the reminder... :thumbs up: