PDA

View Full Version : paint v vinyl roof?

MINIme:)
11th September 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi just wanted to see whether anyone had any input/experience.

I learned yesterday that I could get a roof paint job on a One D for maybe about £300 or 350 (I can't quite remember what they said) - I was happy as I felt I'd found a colour combo I liked (at last!)

But then on doing a little forum reading I got the gist that to spray a roof black with a sunroof would mean removing the sunroof. This made me unhappy :argh: I don't like the sound of that at all - sounds like a real risk of spoiling seals and generally just asking for trouble.

I believe that vinyl is quite possible but the dealer were quick to suggest it can peel and the seals can get damaged putting it on (hmm, such faith!) - and I don't have a decent source of getting a vinyl roof done. I heard of mini pirate but saw a thread on totalmini that suggested he had given up or something - not really sure. His work looked fantastic though and renewed my thought that vinyl wasn't such a bad idea - if I could find a good source.

Do either the paint or the vinyl options have a bad impact on insurance? I could see the word 'respray' having a bad effect.

The other option is to upgrade to a cooper (+60% insurance c £200 more:frown:) as well as + £100 tax - ie £300 a yr more than I'd been planning for and one of the main reasons for going for a One D. or Cooper D - and throw most of the options out the window as well as spend a bit more still.

I am so fed up. Every time I get close, something crops up that puts a spanner in the works. And now I have also just found out that there was a good set of manuf incentives/discounts this current quarter but too late for delivery this quarter now. If dealers had told me of the incentives and the date cut offs I would have made sure I met them. :ragin: ...meanwhile Nia is losing value day by day..... :sad:

RobSco
12th September 2011, 01:33 AM
Hi Joanna

Your certainly working out your sums very well and still no further forward with your decision...:computer: but your getting there... :yes nod:

I would prefer a painted roof as to vinyl, to fit vinyl you would still need in my opinion the seals to be removed and not just cut around the sunroof, apart from that what you've been told is a possibility that through time it would split and peel, though the vinyl that is used today has a long life span, have you also thought of what might happen if you have a stone chip on the roof, would be easier to touch up with paint, vinyl you have no option than replace it all...

If you are thinking of getting the roof sprayed, is this being done at the factory before delivery or are you buying the car as a single colour and then painting it, ??? If they are getting this done for you it would be done at their BMW approved paint shop I would think, just ask where this is being done and would it also come with a guarantee and to get a perfect job done the sunroof would be better removed...

Don't know if any one on here's fitted a full vinyl roof or what you would have to inform your insurance company...

You are certainly working this one out well and you'll get there in the end, at least in doing this you will have looked at all options and in the end have what Mini you really want... :thumbs up:

12th September 2011, 08:38 AM
Hi Robert,
I too think paint sounds a better option but am not happy about the sunroof being removed. I'm going to ask but I think it has to be done at the dealer and not at the factory.
:argh:

Big Gordy
12th September 2011, 10:50 AM
Loads of people on here have had vinyl added to their roofs with no issues that I know of. Hopefully they will be along in due course to give you there opinions. I'm sure there used to be a site sponsor in Stirling who did a really good with the vinyl designs.

12th September 2011, 01:47 PM
Found out a bit more. The paint job would be done by Dentec (sp?) in ?Glasgow and the dealer seems confident that the sunroof is not a concern. Also I'm told that it would be covered by the 3 year warranty and wouldn't affect insurance, which is encouraging.

Craig
12th September 2011, 02:11 PM
Found out a bit more. The paint job would be done by Dentec (sp?) in ?Glasgow and the dealer seems confident that the sunroof is not a concern. Also I'm told that it would be covered by the 3 year warranty and wouldn't affect insurance, which is encouraging.

Sounds like a no brainer then ;). Especially if it's going to give you the colour and spec you want

RobSco
12th September 2011, 05:39 PM
Loads of people on here have had vinyl added to their roofs with no issues that I know of. Hopefully they will be along in due course to give you there opinions. I'm sure there used to be a site sponsor in Stirling who did a really good with the vinyl designs.

Could it be this one Gordon... :thumbs up: www.minidesigns.biz