PDA

View Full Version : run flats for non run flats?

mark1984
11th September 2011, 11:19 AM
i have run flats but they are realy pricey i can not get them any cheaper than £185 a corner for the brigestone potenza so my question is has any one ever stuck normal tyres on instead of run flats? if what make etc? i have been told that you are only ment to run runflats on the r105 rims i have not sure why probebly to get more money out of me?
thanks in advance mark :thumbs up:

Stewart
11th September 2011, 11:36 AM
Yes lots have, I took my Cooper off RF just to get ride of the harsh ride. Even Mini has taken Mini off them, Rf is now an option. I dont know about the R105 rims...

I have a can of gel in the boot and foot pump.

Craig
11th September 2011, 12:18 PM
All mini rims can take normal tyres - don't believe their rubbish !! ;)

Tyres are a very personal choice, but falken fk452 or Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are a good choice ;). Also toyo t1r. I've used them before and been very happy. You'll get them for approx £60 to £80 a tyre ;)

Try camskill for good prices

RobSco
11th September 2011, 12:34 PM
The Cooper that I've just bought has Run Flats on it as well and this is an area that when the time comes wouldn't be sure what to do for the best, I know that Run Flats are a lot more expensive but if you put on normal tyres you would then have to source the tyre inflation compressor kit as well...

Apart from that, all four would have to be changed, I take it you can't mix Run Flat and Normal tyres, I take it your insurance would be alright as your changing the specification of the car as I've read on other sites this would affect your insurance, don't see why it should but don't know if this is genuine...??? :idunno:

Also seen this also on another site...

Question - Can you fit normal tyres to a car set up for Run Flat tyres?

No, you should not put non-Run Flat tyres on a car set up for Run Flat tyres! There are two main reasons for this...

Because Run Flat tyres are very hard due to the reinforced sidewall, the suspension on the car is set much softer so the ride is normal for occupants. If a normal tyre is fitted then the ride will feel very soft, the handling will be adversely affected and could present serious safety concerns...

As the car will not have a spare or anyway to deal with a flat tyre, if non-Run Flat tyres are fitted, the car will be stranded if a puncture does occur...

I like Mark would like to know what is the best solution to this is or are you better sticking with Run Flats... :thumbs up:

Stewart
11th September 2011, 06:06 PM
Well to answer the question I informed my insurance and there was no problem, I was anal about it on the phone and got the girl to be absolute 100% sure.

The other thing BMW do both RF and Non on the same car. We have two Coopers a 57 plate that was on RF and a 10 plate Cooper that came from the factory with normal tyres.

Both Mini's will have the same set up, the only differnece is my car has the sticker giving tyre pressure for RF and the Other Mini Normal.

The Dogfather
11th September 2011, 07:32 PM
I've been running on non run flats for 62k on my 'current' MINI and did 30k in my first Cooper, without any problems.

The other fact, that Stewart has mentioned, is that MINI now supply cars without run flats from the factory, yet the suspension components are exactly the same.

The person who posted that on the other site is an ill-informed moron, who's decided to share his ignorance with others.

The only difference to the handling and ride is its massively improved, grip in the wet is better as well.

All I would say is fit decent tyres not the cheapo chinese one. Avoid Linglong, Triangle, Goodride and Nankang.

The FK452 are good but wear out and become noisy, the Rainsports 2 can be faulted in any way especially in the wet, whilst the TR1s are hopeless when worn.

The Dogfather
11th September 2011, 07:33 PM
Oh, one other thing, fit winter tyres in winter if you live anywhere that gets regular snowfall.

RobSco
11th September 2011, 08:24 PM
The person who posted that on the other site is an ill-informed moron, who's decided to share his ignorance with others.

The information I posted earlier was taken from Halfords, ( Say No More ) Website for Tyres, I knew I'd be better informed asking you guys... :yes nod:

A little bit clearer now regarding the tyres, it's now all down to what make I'd prefer, As for Snow we had plenty here last year in the Central Belt and my Mini One coped quite well, But then again I was on smaller Rims and Tyres...

Cheers... :thumbs up:

Craig
11th September 2011, 08:38 PM
I can honestly say that winter tyres are a great investment ;)

markjbb
11th September 2011, 10:19 PM
i put these on this year instead of putting run flats on and they corner a lot better and less road noise too http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/falken/ziex-ze-912

The Dogfather
11th September 2011, 10:23 PM
i put these on this year instead of putting run flats on and they corner a lot better and less road noise too http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/falken/ziex-ze-912

But by spend a little more you can get something far far better...... I had the FK452, which are better than the 912s and was a little disappointed in how soon they wore and how noisy they got as they got older.

IMO Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are the ones to fit as they work really well in the wet.

markjbb
11th September 2011, 10:35 PM
But by spend a little more you can get something far far better...... I had the FK452, which are better than the 912s and was a little disappointed in how soon they wore and how noisy they got as they got older.

IMO Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are the ones to fit as they work really well in the wet.

i've i didn't have the money to get better ones i only got the car last sep and the run flats that were on it were getting bad in the rain lol i had just bought a scorpion cat back exhaust and got the tyres about 2 days before the thistle run. plus i don't do many miles in the car anyway i just walk to work most days

The Dogfather
12th September 2011, 03:12 AM
i've i didn't have the money to get better ones i only got the car last sep and the run flats that were on it were getting bad in the rain lol i had just bought a scorpion cat back exhaust and got the tyres about 2 days before the thistle run. plus i don't do many miles in the car anyway i just walk to work most days

Fair enough mate, my comment was aimed more at Mark1984.

Mon the fish
12th September 2011, 07:09 AM
Regarding that halfords nonsense about a car being 'designed' to work with runflats, the R50/53 wasn't - it was BMW who decided on RF's late in the day

But echo the above - RF's are rubbish, and I had more punctures with RF's than I've ever had with normal tyres

lorraine
12th September 2011, 09:23 AM
had to send my mini back to the dealer as the front passengers tyre was plugged on the rim at the inside not easterns finest moment it to be picked up today to get the rest of the fixes done that they forgot to do last time not a great service being from such a big garage
did see an advert saying runflats can now be repaired if done under 50 miles and did not go over 50miles an hour dont know if its true dont think i fancy it but if maybe your stuck it could work

Burple
12th September 2011, 11:53 AM
Also seen this also on another site...

Question - Can you fit normal tyres to a car set up for Run Flat tyres?

No, you should not put non-Run Flat tyres on a car set up for Run Flat tyres! There are two main reasons for this...

Because Run Flat tyres are very hard due to the reinforced sidewall, the suspension on the car is set much softer so the ride is normal for occupants. If a normal tyre is fitted then the ride will feel very soft, the handling will be adversely affected and could present serious safety concerns...

As the car will not have a spare or anyway to deal with a flat tyre, if non-Run Flat tyres are fitted, the car will be stranded if a puncture does occur...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The only difference to the handling and ride is its massively improved, grip in the wet is better as well.

and THIS!! ^^ :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Rainsports 2 can be faulted in any way especially in the wet

Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are a good choice ;).
Try camskill for good prices

Got to wholeheartedly agree with this too. Got a set of Rainsports on the JCW just now, can't fault them at all! Maybe a tiny bit less grip on the extreme edge compared to some tyres, but 've never felt any need to back off while using them. Also, It's almost like driving on dry roads when it very wet! :thumbs up:

Also try MyTyres and Black Circles to compare prices..

Big Gordy
12th September 2011, 12:16 PM
Our May 2003 ONE came with 15" normal tyres fitted from MINI so to say they are designed for RF's is cobblers :argh:
RF's can be plugged as the tread part is just like any other tyre. The 50 miles @ 50 mph is due to them running a lot hotter if they have no air in them :p

ianking
12th September 2011, 12:39 PM
As Gordy said minis that come with 15s have non runflat, this has been the case since the launch in 2001.

Ive just taken delivery of a new S with 17s and it was specced from new without run flats as its now a factory option for all wheel sizes. They supply with foam and air pump in the boot. I took the runflats off my last 2 cars and it makes a huge difference, particularly if you like to press on.

lorraine
12th September 2011, 01:14 PM
eastern came to pick up car to fix the alloys that they damaged when replacing the tyre that was plugged

quite surprised and delighted they left me a bmw 5series to run about in

well let me rephrase that they left me a bmw 5 series but i had the keys for 2mins and hubby left me with volvo!!!!!!!! :argh:

Craig
12th September 2011, 02:07 PM
:lol: nice one Jim ;)

Stewart
12th September 2011, 03:31 PM
Have to say got four Uniroyal Rain Expert non- RF end of last year and the car felt so much better

ELFMAN
12th September 2011, 04:55 PM
One of the best things I did was to go to non-runflats, I wish I had done it earlier - Runflats were manageable on my old car on 16's, but the 17's on my the R56 weren't allowing car to perform the way it should. The combination of uprated suspension, a reasonable power increase and the hard runflats was, IMHO, downright scary on some roads - especially when the conditions were cold and greasy. The car now feels much more 'together' and the suspension actually gets to work the tyres properly without them skipping all over the road. The 'normal pace' ride's much better and the high-speed stuff is much less fraught. I wouldn't go back to runflats (unless Kylie Minogue was offering certain 'inducements').

That stuff about not being able to use O.E. MINI 'Runflat' wheels with non-runflats is complete b*ll*cks. I'm certain however that you shouldn't put runflats on wheels which weren't designed for them, as the rim of the 'runflat' wheel is shaped to hold the tyre in the event of a deflation and continued running.