PDA

View Full Version : 9/11

AndyP & Lenore
9th September 2011, 12:43 PM
10th anniversary is but a couple of days away and the TV is full of programmes about the day that changed the world.

What's your memories of the day? Where were you, what were you doing etc?

Lenore and I were on holiday in our caravan near Livingston. News came on and we just sat glued to the screen for about 2 hours, realising with every passing minute the world was changing in front of our eyes. It was a very surreal experience watching each tower come down live in front of our eyes.

Called our parents and some friends and told them to put the news on. When I first described the initial attack to a couple of folk who hadn't yet seen it, they said "yeah, sure, you've been reading Tom Clancy again."

A.

indigomatt
9th September 2011, 12:49 PM
Radio 4 tomorrow night (8pm?) has an interesting program ~ the news from around the world the day before 9/11.

stoney
9th September 2011, 12:58 PM
my old mrk2 Golf broke down not far away from my ex's palce so i went there to get help and thats when i seen the 2nd tower fall

Gismo
9th September 2011, 01:08 PM
I was offshore on night shift and was just getting up when i happened to turn on the TV, normally i never do it, too groggy to concentrate

ianking
9th September 2011, 01:12 PM
Was on my way home from uni and all the radio programmes had coverage. No music on the radio, went home and watched it until I couldnt stay awake any longer. Got up and put the TV back on the next morning, everyone in the house just glued to the screen in horror.

john
9th September 2011, 01:40 PM
I was fitting an outside tap at my house so it was easier to wash the car, and a friend said did you hear about the plane crashing into a biulding in US, I had not so we stuck CNN on and then the the second one hit, we forgot about the tap and sat gobsmacked at the following scenes.

Delboy
9th September 2011, 02:01 PM
I was in work and I remember exactly when one of the traders told me that someone just flew a plane into one of the twin towers - I initially thought it was a private plane that had an accident. We then tried to watch the news updates on the web but since everyone in the building was doing the same the network struggled to cope. My wife called me and so she gave me updates on the telephone.

It still gives me shivers up my spine when I think about that day.

rpn
9th September 2011, 02:14 PM
At work and after my Lead Engineer told me about the first plane hitting the tower we were all glued to Sky News on the net for the rest of the day! I don't think any of us in the office were productive that day. ;)

Actually it was our silver anniversary that year (OK you clever lots, it is our 35th this year then! :smilewinkgrin:) and we were planning to go to New York that very weekend and at the same time meeting up with my daughter who was back-packing in the US that year. Anyway couldn't get a good deal so weren't there. In the afternoon we were desperately trying to get hold of my daughter in the US to make sure she was ok and eventually she called from Memphis (because we weren't to meet up so she changed her travel plan) from Elvis' Graceland of all places to say all is fine!

lorraine
9th September 2011, 02:22 PM
my mum and dad were on holiday i was at my grans she had demnetia and was complainig all tv channels were showing re-runs of the war she could not understand it was happening that day. She could not understand in this day people would do such a thing and insisted i was wrong it was re-runs of the war belive me it was a long day

The Dogfather
9th September 2011, 02:48 PM
I was at work, I think it was in the afternoon that I was told about a plane hitting the tower. At first I thought it would be a light aircraft but as the news came through we all sat there dumbstruck. When the 2nd plane hit it was obvious that this was terrorism, there was numerous stories of other targets and other planes being hijacked.

It was a strange experience, it just didn't seem real.

Stewart
9th September 2011, 03:23 PM
Scary day that’s for sure. I was on a course and everything was web based more or less and the whole thing crashed. So we were all sitting trying to figure out why everything was down, even good old faithful the BBC site.

Friend got a call saying something was going on in the US and a plane had hit and they were sure it was deliberate. So course was dismissed for the day.

Got back to the house and put on the TV only for the second plane to hit.

Lasting memories of seeing the second plane hit “live” and the buildings fall down and that thick cloud of debris move down the various streets. Also the report that poor soles had come to the conclusion due to the fire it was a better option to jump.

watched that documentary, I’m sure its something like 90 minutes that changed the world or something and it was normal peoples video clips mixed with various media and even police and fire department clips, there is no story or voiceovers just clips on a time line.

Craig
9th September 2011, 03:25 PM
I was I'n Grangemouth doing an office move and was I'n the network room re-patching network and phone ports and heard a shout from the tv room next door... Went thro and 30 mins later the second plane hit. The office move didn't get finished til much later...

You tell yourself this can't be happening... :frown: weird few days thereafter...

RobSco
9th September 2011, 03:45 PM
Remember walking in to Comet in Falkirk to see this on every screen in store - My first initial thoughts was that they were showing a film on all screens till I realised it was happening Live - Couldn’t believe what I was seeing and witnessing history unfold in front of me...

I then phoned home to tell the rest to put on the News as they couldn’t believe what I was telling them, The rest of the day was spent in front of TV watching this unfold at home...

AndyP & Lenore
9th September 2011, 05:28 PM
Going to repeat something Stewart said above...

Before the towers came down, live TV crews were around the base of the towers and you could hear these loud crashes and the reporter said to camera... "you have to wonder what the conditions are like in the office space in this building, which makes the occupants feel the better option is to jump." Those words are burnt into my brain and I will never - as long as I have my scruples - forget it.:frown::frown::frown::frown:

A.