PDA

View Full Version : Vidal Buffoon has returned!!

zimbo
5th September 2011, 09:37 AM
So I noticed this morning that a certain Mr Vidal Buffoon has returned again!! :lol:

Think I must be one of the VERY few members on here who have kept their original names on here throughout my membership lol :yes nod:

So lets see pics of the new motor then VB, dont be shy now.

The Dogfather
5th September 2011, 09:53 AM
I'll get some pics up later, otherwise nothing to see here please move along.......

john
5th September 2011, 10:59 AM
OOPS!!

as normal Crombers you are correct,

Big Gordy
5th September 2011, 12:09 PM
I think he was refering to himself when he said that John.

The Dogfather
5th September 2011, 08:49 PM
Here it is, more pictures to follow, once I've cleaned it and the weather improves..

Super Naff

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2884

euan
5th September 2011, 10:03 PM
Looks very smart, lovely colour.

Though nobody there seems to be able to park properly :p

Craig
5th September 2011, 10:06 PM
Always fancied an mx5 and they are great value these days. Enjoy Paul ;)

MINIme:)
5th September 2011, 10:19 PM

:lol:

I agree it looks very nice and lovely colour :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
5th September 2011, 11:53 PM

:lol: :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
5th September 2011, 11:54 PM
Looking nice Paul. But... Erm... Could you not have bought one with a decent colour? At least you won't see any rust spots.:blush:

A.:D

The Dogfather
6th September 2011, 06:30 AM
The colour wouldn't have been my first choice but its basically nightfire red. However as its only done 10k, its a 2.0 Tech Sport and only cost £11,750, I think I can live with it not being my first choice in colour. It cost the VW dealership £13,000 and its had new pads and discs as the previous owner couldn't drive it in winter.

Unusually for an MX5 it has cruise control, in dash 6 MP3CD player, bluetooth and a fuel computer. Its also got Bose but I guess you have to take the rough with the smooth, fortunately I've got details of how to bypass the god awful system whilst keeping the factory head unit.

Re: the parking, Durham council insist that you only have 1 parking space on new houses. You can guess how that's worked out, my parking space used to be a lawn. The proper one has a motorhome on it.

Stewart
6th September 2011, 09:35 AM
A right, so the Mini is off and the MX is on the drive. I thought this was still a good few weeks away.

Very nice, I hope you get a few decent days to get the top down.

Is the Bose poor in them, granted my friends A8 is a 56K car but the Bose sounds amazing to me be it music or a film through the head unit. It was one of the things that had attracted him to the car, well that and the fact he thinks he’s an extra for yon “Transporter Movies” but Sound system wise I thought was impressive.

The Dogfather
6th September 2011, 09:46 AM
Bose don't make good HiFi systems, home or cars. They engineer out frequencies in the music that are challenging for speakers to produce.

In the mazda they've created a system that lacks the high end trebles and the really low bass frequencies that give vocals warmth. The rest of the bass response is rather muddy and woolly. With the MX5 is a challenge to get good sound because of the accoustics of an light weight open car but the Bose setup could be far better.

If you look at most OEM upgrades such as Bang and Olfsen and Bose the speakers are cheap and low quality compared to aftermarket companies such as the high end pioneer, focal and morel kit.

The Dogfather
6th September 2011, 09:49 AM
Loads of stuff about BOSE here (http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html) it won't make happy reading for anyone who's spent a fortune on one of their systems though, sorry.

Stewart
6th September 2011, 10:36 AM
I'll keep that quiet, if he's happy then I’d not want say otherwise. His wife just thinks it’s too dam loud. But when he rolled up in the A8 he said check out the “Bose system” and I’ll emit I thought it was good, but then I’m coming from the Mini that gets slated and even I can hear its not great.

zimbo
6th September 2011, 12:31 PM
Very nice, I have always been a fan of the original MX5 and this current version but never liked the one inbetween :hand:

euan
6th September 2011, 01:09 PM
While I'm not going to argue about quality of components as it's not something I'm overly fussed about in the car, I have BOSE in my A4 (wasn't that bothered about getting it, but like the MX5 it was already fitted to the car) and as an OEM system it's more than acceptable for normal use. It doesn't have quite enough bass for my liking, but the clarity is maintained at all volumes and as I usually am using it to carry my little one, I can't make use of it really anyway. Would agree it's not worth the premium, but compared to the stereo from my and my missus previous cars it's better than any of them.

However, the B&O system in my old mans Jag XF is something else, it sounds unbelievably good (again, came as standard on the car).

The Dogfather
6th September 2011, 01:50 PM
I thought the XF system was Bowers and Wilkins not Bland and Olfsen?

B&O is basically badge engineered Phillips, however B&W is a British firm that produces some great audiophile kit.

euan
6th September 2011, 02:05 PM
I thought the XF system was Bowers and Wilkins not Bland and Olfsen?

B&O is basically badge engineered Phillips, however B&W is a British firm that produces some great audiophile kit.

I stand corrected, you're quite correct, B&W not B&O. And yes, they do make awesome kit - I looked at a B&W Zeppelin for a while but ended up with Sonos, but the Zeppelin sound stunning as well. Still might look to hook a Sonos into a Zeppelin, just not a cheap way of doing it.

The Dogfather
6th September 2011, 02:09 PM
I'd love some B&W stuff, I think Alan (Gismo) had/has some.

The Dogfather
9th September 2011, 10:10 PM
Well tonight I drove the Mex5 in anger for the first time, wow! Its an absolute cracker.

They only made minor changes to the car compared to the Mk3 but what a difference they make. If anyone is considering moving away from MINI and doesn't need a practical car then you have to get one of these.

The Dogfather
12th September 2011, 07:24 PM
Me and Freya out for and evening spin!!

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2896&d=1315851845

AndyP & Lenore
12th September 2011, 08:20 PM
The colour does look better in that pic.:thumbs up:

A.:D

The Dogfather
12th September 2011, 08:31 PM
Its a weird colour, deep red in lower light and copperish in direct sun.

Duncan Stewart
12th September 2011, 09:13 PM
Very nice :thumbs up: Looks like your enjoying it :cool:

The Dogfather
12th September 2011, 09:17 PM
So was Freya, although she didn't like it when we went too fast as it got very windy. She's perfected the leaning into corners though.

zimbo
13th September 2011, 11:32 AM
So was Freya, although she didn't like it when we went too fast as it got very windy. She's perfected the leaning into corners though.

:laugh: well your next step then is get yourself a motorcycle and get her on the back. looks like your both having a blast.

The Dogfather
13th September 2011, 12:55 PM
Had a motorbike, wouldn't go back......

weefossy
15th September 2011, 09:21 PM
Like the car ...but can't agree on the Bose comments. I have Bose speakers powered by a big Sony amp and I think it sounds great. I've had B&W speakers and many other high spec systems in the past, but I've had this system the longest time and haven't tired of the sound yet. Just as well we are all different...lol

The Dogfather
15th September 2011, 09:49 PM
Sorry Malcolm didn’t mean to cause offence, but I’m pretty passionate when it comes to HiFi.

The Bose system in my Mazda is supposed to be a good system but its barely any better than the standard MINI system. Its got no highs or really low bass. There’s plenty of mid bass but it sounds muddled and boomy.

How old are the Bose speakers Malcolm?

My comments only relate to the stuff that’s on sale now and as far as I can tell these modern systems are all about appearance not sound quality.

I believe, older Bose speaker, such as 301 s1, are very very different to the modern ‘lifestyle’ systems.