PDA

View Full Version : Mini waves.

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 08:52 AM
I know this has probably been discussed but 2 incidents in 2 days regarding waves from oncoming mini drivers prompted me to start this again.

Yesterday on the way home, I decided to use the back country roads trying to bring the economy down after a wee experiment. Anyway I am going down this fast country road and ahead down the hill coming round a bend I think oh there's a nice mini.......wait there....."THAT'S.....A.....A....WC50...AAARRRRGGG "http://www.totalmini.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

So I started to flash my lights and give a wee wave, well before I knew it they were flashing and waving like mad.

It was so funny no idea who they were and we were waving like we were related.

Had a similar incident the day before when an R53 JCW flashed and waved as it went by.

So my point for discussion is I used to wave to the mini's I presumed were fanatics (always hard to tell) but can count on one hand in the last 5 years how many waves back I got.

So do any of us do this and what do we think if a crazy mini driver passes by waving like mad.

Stewart
5th August 2011, 10:03 AM
I think by the time I got my Mini the wave thing had died off with them so popular, so I’ve never done it. I’ve had the “Mini nod and smile” at lights on occasions.

To be fair far too many about there days, last person I tried to wave to was Mr C but that’s only as he’s a fellow NMS user.

Good for you getting a wave back, I guess if they were on a WC50 they really like and appreciate the Mini.

EcosseGP
5th August 2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah I used to do it but like you stopped after getting no response or funny looks sometimes (sometimes not even noticed - mind Causewayhead Grieg) .. I now pick & choose the MINIs I wave too but I'll always wave back if I see someone waving ..

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 10:38 AM
(sometimes not even noticed - mind Causewayhead Grieg)

I am hanging my head in shame as we speak, A GP too.......:blush:

Craig
5th August 2011, 11:13 AM
I wave to minis but get strange looks - being in either a Punto (GP mind !) or a KIA may be the issue !! :lol:

ELFMAN
5th August 2011, 12:09 PM
I still try to give a wave, but most of the time it's met by looks of bemusement or indifference :idunno: I feel like shouting "MINI! You Divvy"! :ragin: but that might be an over-reaction.

You get the odd cheery response, but it seems nowadays that you can be a MINI Owner without being a MINI ENTHUSIAST, which is a shame, as they're missing out on the complete 'MINI Experience', which those of us who have been around the scene since the early days were lucky enough to get.

That's progress for you. :sad: :bigwave:

Track Ali
5th August 2011, 12:20 PM
In my Cooper I waved at everyone and I got a fair number of waves back which was nice.

As has been said though there are just so many MINI's on the roads and most are owned by owner's rather than enthusiasts. Which is a shame :sad:

I still park next to MINI's whenever I go to the shops though ;)

ianking
5th August 2011, 12:31 PM
Back in the day when the MINIs first came out I got a supplement to the owners manuakl teling me how to fight off the hoards of people that would be crowding round it and how to flash the lights and wave at other MINI owners. I got that leaflet with the first couple of cars but them they stopped supplying them. Tend not to get waves any more but I always used to partake in it.

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 01:10 PM
So interesting hearing this. As a mini owner for nearly 5 years the amount on the road had exploded. I think we should revive this tradition, definetly.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Delboy
5th August 2011, 01:50 PM
I once exchanged smiles rather than waves with a fellow Laser blue Clubbie S at traffic lights! But that's it.

Used to get waves all the time in my classic Scooby, mainly from primary school boys though..... :D

ELFMAN
5th August 2011, 01:54 PM
I don't think we should wave any more.... I think we should MOON! :moonie: MINIMOONING - THE new Motoring Offence! :blush:
Might be difficult while driving though :argh:

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 01:59 PM
A challenge but I like your thinking sir.:D

N16SHP
5th August 2011, 05:18 PM
As is the case with a few folk on here, I tend to get waves from other CR drivers with white alloys, almost an aknowledgement of 'nice choice'. But there are a glut of Mini's being driven round Aberdeen, and not that many friendly owners. I recall Sheilz exchanging a wave and smile at the petrol pump with a Mini in Aberdeen to be greeted with a look that says...Do I know you? Shame!

SuperCooperS
5th August 2011, 07:12 PM
I look to see whos driving and if its a corpse that can barely see above the stearing wheel I dont bother waving or smiling...but on other hand I would give a smile to nice girls driving by who happen to be looking too haha.. would definately be up for mad waving, the year and a half ive been in Aberdeen ive had two waves I think, and admitidly i was the one who was looking back trying to work out who it was lol

stoney
5th August 2011, 07:37 PM
Well me and elf man give it a shot today we seen about 6 and not one flashed or waved back :(

---
- IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

SuperCooperS
5th August 2011, 07:42 PM
typicall.. yawn.. to them!!

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 07:44 PM
An update:

Went for another run today upto a place called Killin, what a stunning drive. Anyway said to the missus right new philosophy, I am going to wave to all the mini's I see.

So heads off and first mini I see is an R50 cooper with black vipers, so I gave a little flash and a wave and guess what he waved back...YEH!!!!! well lifted a finger (not the rude one lol)

I seen 4 other mini's including the same guy again 2 hours late (must have been following me) and this time I got a full wave back. 2 of the other 3 also waved back.

The best bit was I seen a stunning red 3 series convertible as it was coming towards me the girl gave me a wave. Now I am pretty sure I have no idea who it was (and I was miles from home) but shock horror at getting a wave from a BMW driver.

MINIme:)
5th August 2011, 08:15 PM
In 5 years I've never been waved at so never dared to do it myself :sad:

but I will definitely keep a look out for you lot! :bigwave:

...I can be witnessed around Glasgow; occasionally Aberdeen:motoring:

rpn
5th August 2011, 09:26 PM
I do wave at fellow Minis occasionally but after nearly 5 years of Mini ownership I never got a wave back so far. :moonie: But it doesn't stop me waving though. :bigwave:

weefossy
5th August 2011, 10:20 PM
I still like to flash and I usually get some kind of response !! ;)
Slightly embarrising when I do it and forget I'm in the Jag......doh....:blush:

SuperCooperS
5th August 2011, 11:37 PM
I saw 4 mins in the space of 10 mins when i was heading around to a friends tonight, waved at them all and didnt get one back.. just got looked at lol

GCA3N
6th August 2011, 09:08 AM
I saw 4 mins in the space of 10 mins when i was heading around to a friends tonight, waved at them all and didnt get one back.. just got looked at lol

Keep it up it takes time.

sent from my galaxy S ll

ELFMAN
6th August 2011, 10:45 AM
On the way over to Ian King's yesterday, Stoney in the GP and me following in the S, we must have passed at least six MINIs, at least a couple were quite fancy, we both waved and flashed the lights etc but got NO RESPONSE at all. The only reaction I got was when I checked my mirror to see a girl braking because she thought I was warning her about some invisible (and non-existent) hazard - it was a clear, straight stretch of road.

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH THESE PEOPLE? Do you trade in your SOUL when YOU buy a MINI these days? :bigwave::argh::ragin::sad:

MINI William
6th August 2011, 12:05 PM
When I first got my ONE I waved at almost other MINI. I hardly wave at anyone now as I find that people just look at you like you are from another planet

SuperCooperS
6th August 2011, 01:58 PM
I waved to 10 minis this morning, got one friendly wave from a nice black cooper s and a smile from a couple of girls in a convertable cooper, both cars in banchory..and a thumbs up from a guy in a light gold skoda octavia estate on my way to torphins..

ELFMAN
6th August 2011, 03:02 PM
I hardly wave at anyone now as I find that people just look at you like you are from another planet

Well William... you know how you're 'special' there's something your Mum and Dad didn't tell you...
"It all started with some strange lights in the sky and a weird humming sound, we rushed outside to find..." :yoda: :babypram: :yoda:

Stewart
6th August 2011, 06:34 PM
In 5 years I've never been waved at so never dared to do it myself :sad:

but I will definitely keep a look out for you lot! :bigwave:

...I can be witnessed around Glasgow; occasionally Aberdeen:motoring:

Its not black with Eye lashes?:smilewinkgrin:

But in Glasgow south side, granted there is a few dealerships now but I can pass 40 Mini’s easy in twenty minutes. I think if say I was up north I’d maybe give a wee flash.

MINIme:)
9th August 2011, 12:03 AM
Its not black with Eye lashes?:smilewinkgrin:

But in Glasgow south side, granted there is a few dealerships now but I can pass 40 Mini’s easy in twenty minutes. I think if say I was up north I’d maybe give a wee flash.

hey Stewart, missed your post there......bit slooow
no, god no! No eyelashes for me!! :hand: I'm in a wee electric blue One, live in west end. Look out for me :bigwave:

...Mibbe soon be a hot hot chocolate, but I'll keep you all informed on that!

Sheilz
10th August 2011, 05:15 PM
I rarely wave to other minis though if we pass quite slowly I will give them a smile. Didn't see many minis in France especially the south but got wave which I returned from a silver/silver clubbie. We tig and tagged for about three hundred kms on the way home on Monday. Think I got more waves on the continent that I ever do here! Nowadays am more inclined to be thinking speedtrap ahead when someone flashes lights at me!