PDA

View Full Version : exhaust + manifold combo

G unit
3rd August 2011, 11:59 PM
right folks want to splash out on a cutback system and manifold-decat , looking for best performance setup

few people in states say running a after market cooper exhaust is better for performance than the centre exit ones for cooper s.....

anyways happy to stay for centre exit exhaust + manifold set
what your run and best performance combo

car is a 2003 R53 35,000miles

regards

Gismo
4th August 2011, 03:10 AM
By far the best, in my opinion, is the Miltek

Big Gordy
4th August 2011, 07:31 AM
Think you'll find 75% of the folks on here with after market exhausts run one of the Playmini systems.....me being one of them :thumbs up: Top class quality, good exhaust note when giving it the beans and pretty quiet when tootling about town :smilewinkgrin:

Mon the fish
4th August 2011, 08:04 AM
Few things other folk have learned by experience, MT is your best bet for performance advice
- decat will probably cost you power
- Cooper exhausts normally don't cope well with the pulses the S engine generates, being therefore very loud, and destroying the baffles
- 4-2-1 manifolds (OBX etc) give you more torque, 4-1 manifolds (Janspeed etc) give more top end power

Fletcher, Milltek and JCW are good cat-backs with a good note. Janspeed is one of the cheapest manifolds, with proven power gains

Craig
4th August 2011, 08:12 AM
I had a janspeed manifold with sport cat connected to a jcw exhaust and it sounded superb ;). I also felt a bit of gain in hp :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
4th August 2011, 08:36 AM
I had a Playmini Manifold/Sports Cat and Full System on my R53 JCW 210. Sounded SUPERB (if a bit loud.... in a good way), and opened up the top end power. I was well happy.

As Mon said, there are quite a few good combos out there now though - this is just what I went for back in the day. Some Manifolds have an integral Cat, while some (GTT?) have provision for either a Sports Cat or a De-Cat pipe. I have seen a couple of R53s in mags running a COOPER exhaust (Milltek I think), but perhaps with slightly modded set-up as far as front silencer boxes are concerned, and more for 'stealth' reasons (folks behind won't suss it's an S). However, I don't really see how an exhaust designed for a COOPER will work better than one designed for an S... unless you muck around with it first.

Mon the fish
4th August 2011, 01:30 PM
However, I don't really see how an exhaust designed for a COOPER will work better than one designed for an S... unless you muck around with it first.

It'll blow the baffles out the back if you don't add a resonator. A Cooper exhaust on an S with decat would be asbo loud

stoney
4th August 2011, 02:52 PM
Gtt manifold with jcw / milteck or playmini with sport cat ;)

---
- IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Crombers
4th August 2011, 08:29 PM
Think you'll find 75% of the folks on here with after market exhausts run one of the Playmini systems.....me being one of them :thumbs up: Top class quality, good exhaust note when giving it the beans and pretty quiet when tootling about town :smilewinkgrin:

This :thumbs up:

Crombers
4th August 2011, 08:32 PM
I had a Playmini Manifold/Sports Cat and Full System on my R53 JCW 210. Sounded SUPERB (if a bit loud.... in a good way), and opened up the top end power. I was well happy.

'Ah the memories' :yes nod:

I used to throw wumin & bairns oot the way just to get close :Whistle:

G unit
5th August 2011, 07:01 PM
lol thanks for the input guys doing some research the now before i purchase

ELFMAN
8th August 2011, 12:41 PM
'Ah the memories' :yes nod:I used to throw wumin & bairns oot the way just to get close :Whistle:

Aye, as Springsteen would say - "Glory Days" :thumbs up: Now your car's louder than mine Crombers... :sad: :argh:

Crombers
9th August 2011, 04:24 PM
Aye, as Springsteen would say - "Glory Days" :thumbs up: Now your car's louder than mine Crombers... :sad: :argh:

Dunno about that fella, it's a close one I reckons :yes nod:

ELFMAN
10th August 2011, 03:27 PM
Dunno about that fella, it's a close one I reckons :yes nod:

I mean it's louder than my R56 - you're still not in the same league as the Blue Meanie! :smilewinkgrin: :shut up::thumbs up:

Crombers
10th August 2011, 03:38 PM
I mean it's louder than my R56 - you're still not in the same league as the Blue Meanie! :smilewinkgrin: :shut up::thumbs up:

Agreed, close between the Coop & your 56

Your 53 was the best sounding 'street car' ever IMHO, it positively 'howled' :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
10th August 2011, 04:34 PM
I reckon yours has it on the Decibel Count over my '56 Crombers... :yes nod: