PDA

View Full Version : comments welcome!

SuperCooperS
3rd August 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi folks.. ok I need advice for which is the best air intake for my cooper s

The Alta Performance intake or the Typhoon Intake System by K&N... my gut insinct is telling me the K&N but if anyone could suggest a better alternative, please do!!

Cheers

KenL
3rd August 2011, 08:51 PM
I doubt any will make any appreciable difference to performance.

SuperCooperS
3rd August 2011, 08:57 PM
what is best... for a nice note... not too loud and some performance gain?

stoney
3rd August 2011, 10:12 PM
ITG replacement filter I would say I have one in my GP and sounds loverly

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

GCA3N
3rd August 2011, 10:26 PM
As rob says ITG is good that's what I have as well. Without a re map there will be little or no performance increase but it does sound nice.

SuperCooperS
3rd August 2011, 11:01 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, where can a get a filter like that and how much.. I thought id have to replace the whole unit rather than just a filter.. how come it changes the noise with it being in the standard unit and not open?

GCA3N
4th August 2011, 08:28 AM
For all R56 MINI One's & Cooper's
You need part no. - HMP557 (which is a flat panel filter)

For all R56 MINI One's & Cooper's with auto transmission
You need part no. - HMP537 (which is a flat panel filter)

For all R56 MINI One & Cooper Diesels
You need part no. - HMP681 (which is a flat panel filter)

For all R56 MINI Cooper S, 175bhp & 184bhp
You need part no. - WB432 (which is a flat panel filter)

For all R56 MCS with the JCW engine kit
You need part no. - BH239 (which is a cone shaped filter)

For all R56 FJCW
You need part no. - WB432 (which is a flat panel filter, which is the same filter as the MCS)

You could buy here http://www.itgairfilters.com/profilters.asp?section=profilter&CarMake=BMW
(http://www.itgairfilters.com/profilters.asp?section=profilter&CarMake=BMW)

or where I got mine . https://www.vecchio.co.uk/
(https://www.vecchio.co.uk/)
I couldn't find the filter on the site, but using the above info give them a call.

SuperCooperS
4th August 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi, cheers for that, ive notied there is a place in kintore called Clark Motorsport which does ITG stuff too.. but your online options will probably be cheaper,.. im curious how it changes the sound with the air box still being standard? I thought it would have to be open since alot of them seem to be?

GCA3N
4th August 2011, 09:01 AM
Tbh they're better as they keep the direct cold feed and not like some open ones where the air is taken from the warm engine bay.

sent from my galaxy S ll

N16SHP
4th August 2011, 10:09 AM
I fitted an ITG panel to my R56 S Stuart, and noticed no performance gains, but the exhaust pops a bit more now, and you hear the turbo spooling up a little louder too. Plus the fact the standard BMW paper ones are crap, it's a better mod all round even just to keep your engine in better nick!

ELFMAN
4th August 2011, 10:17 AM
I have an ITG Replacement filter in my JCW Airbox - the induction sound was a bit better, and the 'choosh' from the turbo slightly more obvious - but nothing like the sound you'd get if you fitted an Induction Kit. Like the others have said, I wanted to keep the filter away from the excessive engine bay temperature, so that's why I didn't fit an 'open' induction kit. ITG is a top make - and it doesn't affect insurance as far as I know, as it's arguably not a 'performance' mod as such, whereas an induction kit is 'in your face' and therefore on your insurance form!

I didn't notice any real performance gains on the road, but I know the ITG filter is allowing the whole system to work to its maximum, whereas the standard filters simply aren't as good at the job.

Burple has an Alta induction kit fitted which he likes. It's supposed to give 10bhp/10lb/ft torque, but only if you remove the restrictive black plastic grille in the bonnet intake, otherwise the hot underbonnet air absolutely kills it.

As Greig kindly illustrated, there are different ITG filters for the 'cooking' R56 (Flat Panel) and the JCW Upgraded version like mine (Cylindrical).

N16SHP
4th August 2011, 10:21 AM
I have an ITG Replacement filter in my JCW Airbox - the induction sound was a bit better, and the 'choosh' from the turbo slightly more obvious - but nothing like the sound you'd get if you fitted an Induction Kit. Like the others have said, I wanted to keep the filter away from the excessive engine bay temperature, so that's why I didn't fit an 'open' induction kit. ITG is a top make - and it doesn't affect insurance as far as I know, as it's arguably not a 'performance' mod as such, whereas an induction kit is 'in your face' and therefore on your insurance form!

Burple has an Alta induction kit fitted which he likes. It's supposed to give 10bhp/10lb/ft torque, but only if you remove the restrictive black plastic grille in the bonnet intake, otherwise the hot underbonnet air absolutely kills it.

As Greig kindly illustrated, there are different ITG filters for the 'cooking' R56 (Flat Panel) and the JCW Upgraded version like mine (Cylindrical).

'coosh'...that's what I was looking for in my description Euan ;) As far as the insurance goes, I'm sure Greig told me on the phone that his insurance (possibly company dependent) that it is classed as a performance mod. Having said that, my Mrs' insurance company said they don't insure sunroofs even though it came standard with the car...who knows!

ianking
4th August 2011, 11:17 AM
Im pretty sure william has the Alta induction kit fitted to his car and last time I was in it you could really hear the woosh from the turbo and the valve.

Burple
4th August 2011, 11:22 AM
Im pretty sure william has the Alta induction kit fitted to his car and last time I was in it you could really hear the woosh from the turbo and the valve.

Oh yeah!! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::cool:

It's quite hard to drive and *NOT* hear the whoosh :D

SuperCooperS
4th August 2011, 12:28 PM
thanks very much guys! Ill go for it then! Do you get the 'cooch' as well as the 'beurp' noise when ya Hit the go pedal?

ELFMAN
4th August 2011, 01:25 PM
Do you get the 'cooch' as well as the 'beurp' noise when ya Hit the go pedal?

So are you going for the Alta Induction, or an ITG Panel Filter? Sounds as if you'll need 'Alka-Seltzer' (or 'Alta-Seltzer"?) rather than a filter.... :smilewinkgrin:
By the way, the most noticeable change in sound (with a genuine performance gain) I got was by fitting the Milltek Downpipe :thumbs up:, but that's £400+...

Mon the fish
4th August 2011, 01:37 PM
Tbh they're better as they keep the direct cold feed and not like some open ones where the air is taken from the warm engine bay.

This. You may not gain much from a different filter, but you will lose power from an open intake. Not sure what IAT's make R56's temp-clip, but on the R53 an open intake is a sure way to temp-clip

SuperCooperS
4th August 2011, 05:14 PM
Hello, I went for the ITG Panel Filter, bought it at lunch time and should get tomorrow..hopefully will make me smile when im driving, I had a K&N cone on my cherry red mini and it sounded delicious, it was an "open" one and sat to the front of the car so got plenty of juicy cold air... im not looking to spend a fortune on the car, i like it as it is, only thing ill probably do next is upgrade the interior lights to the nice LEDs.. had thought about putting in some nice sounds to the boot but seems like a lot of hassle since the cd player is built in to the dash

stoney
4th August 2011, 11:53 PM
Hello, I went for the ITG Panel Filter, bought it at lunch time and should get tomorrow..hopefully will make me smile when im driving, I had a K&N cone on my cherry red mini and it sounded delicious, it was an "open" one and sat to the front of the car so got plenty of juicy cold air... im not looking to spend a fortune on the car, i like it as it is, only thing ill probably do next is upgrade the interior lights to the nice LEDs.. had thought about putting in some nice sounds to the boot but seems like a lot of hassle since the cd player is built in to the dash

any good sound system place will be able to do it i also know of people putting in a stand along unit in the passenger side top compartment as well its not that hard TBH

you will love the itg defo helps the sound on the R53 any way :)

GCA3N
5th August 2011, 08:24 AM

Well done good choice :thumbs up:

SuperCooperS
5th August 2011, 07:16 PM
Stoney? really.. haha..how does that work,,can you play both at the same time.. and are they both linked up to the same speakers in the car?

SuperCooperS
5th August 2011, 07:17 PM
my filter didnt arrive today soo boo hoo to that.. not expecting it tomorrow, so will have to wait to Monday.. I hate waiting for things

SuperCooperS
9th August 2011, 08:34 PM
Hi guys,, just fitted my ITG filter.. and it gives a really nice subtle note and can really notice the turbo woosh now.. is it just my imagination but i can feel the car a little more responsive...loving the sound though

GCA3N
9th August 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi guys,, just fitted my ITG filter.. and it gives a really nice subtle note and can really notice the turbo woosh now.. is it just my imagination but i can feel the car a little more responsive...loving the sound though

Good news it does sound better I agree. As far as power goes I said the same but I think it's more that you want to feel it than it actually does :D

ELFMAN
10th August 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure you notice any real difference in the performance, but the small increase in sound makes it a bit more fun, and you know that the filter's working better than the standard version - it's these wee relatively inexpensive tweeks that optimise whatever setup you're running.

Now you can start saving for a Milltek Downpipe... :thumbs up: You'll hear THAT mod alright! :smilewinkgrin: