PDA

View Full Version : Autoexpress awards

KenL
3rd August 2011, 04:56 PM
Hot hatch category.

Cooper SD is second to GTI.

"...is even better than the JCW flagship".

Aye right!

GCA3N
3rd August 2011, 05:12 PM
Aye right indeed.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Duncan Stewart
3rd August 2011, 06:06 PM
Hot hatch category.

Cooper SD is second to GTI.

"...is even better than the JCW flagship".

Sounds good to me, seriously thinking about one myself :cool:

Torque matters more in "real world" driving and paying less fuel tax appeals to me :thumbs up:

Mini Digger
3rd August 2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds good to me, seriously thinking about one myself :cool:

Torque matters more in "real world" driving and paying less fuel tax appeals to me :thumbs up:

Agreed. In the real world I'd go for a pokey diesel any day especially as we've such a huge number of speed cameras and safety vans up here. Far more usable, just a different way of driving.

GCA3N
3rd August 2011, 06:27 PM

is 280 torques not enough :p

Neil - TXJ
3rd August 2011, 09:04 PM
So will there be a JCW diesel at some point. They can get considerably more bhp out of that diesel engine.

KenL
3rd August 2011, 09:40 PM
A lot more cost than a standard S and 45 bhp less. There is no way this will be anywhere nearly as quick as an S, never mind a JCW, apart from the odd bit in gear. I average 38mpg in my S, I doubt the SD would average 50 mpg. People on totalMINI are saying the mpg in the BMW engined Cooper is not that great.

KenL
3rd August 2011, 09:51 PM
...forgot to say that I think Cooper D makes much more sense than SD.

Delboy
3rd August 2011, 10:36 PM
Funny how different mags have different views. I'm sure I read in Autocar recently that they were underwhelmed with the SD.

I tend to find Auto Express a bit less believable than most other car mags tbh.

N16SHP
4th August 2011, 10:17 AM
Funny how different mags have different views. I'm sure I read in Autocar recently that they were underwhelmed with the SD.

I tend to find Auto Express a bit less believable than most other car mags tbh.

Yeah, I read that too. My biggest grumble with the SD is the noise. I seen one the other day in PW that looked absolutely stunning, the guy planted it to take away at a junction, and the thing made no noise what-so-ever...not cool!

Mon the fish
4th August 2011, 01:33 PM
A true drivers car would always be petrol - not just for top-end power, but more to do with throttle response, a less peaky torque curve, smoothness and noise. Diesels are great around town, had a One D for a couple of days and once you're used to the horrendous lag, the torque was quite good. But would you ever get up at 5am on a Sunday to go for a proper thrash in a diesel? The torque dropping off over 3k would do your head in.

And there's the weight of that 2.0l diesel lump to think of

Delboy
4th August 2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I read that too. My biggest grumble with the SD is the noise. I seen one the other day in PW that looked absolutely stunning, the guy planted it to take away at a junction, and the thing made no noise what-so-ever...not cool!
Not to mention the large cloud of black smoke that he probably left hanging in the air! :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
4th August 2011, 03:21 PM
100% agree here. I had that 2litre diesel s for the afternoon and i was so bored. A drivers car is always a petrol.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Stewart
4th August 2011, 04:50 PM
I think the SD hits that sweet spot (if not in price) a car that looks as nice as a S, gets good economy and a nice bit of power over say my Cooper. I’m quite happy with the power and enjoyment of my Cooper but if I could get even better mileage, lower Tax and insurance and that extra wee bit of power to overtake etc I’d have one but not at the price.

Girl across the road swapped her 08 Mini Cooper for a brand new Corsa that is fully loaded for 7.5K (think with the mini she was on one of those you can hand the car back deals) she looked at a lower spec new Mini and it was 16K. so to her it was a no brainer and I part agree as she was not overly fussed about not having the mini.

Duncan Stewart
4th August 2011, 07:30 PM

Agree about the noise - my Petrol S exhaust seems to sound better the more miles it does :yes nod:

Crombers
4th August 2011, 08:16 PM
A true drivers car would always be petrol - not just for top-end power, but more to do with throttle response, a less peaky torque curve, smoothness and noise. Diesels are great around town, had a One D for a couple of days and once you're used to the horrendous lag, the torque was quite good. But would you ever get up at 5am on a Sunday to go for a proper thrash in a diesel? The torque dropping off over 3k would do your head in.

And there's the weight of that 2.0l diesel lump to think of

This :thumbs up: