PDA

View Full Version : Software Issue

Craig
3rd August 2011, 12:30 PM
As some of you know, I help organise a highland games event for the local kids in my town. What I'm looking for is an easier way to do the scoring as at the moment, we do it all by hand and then put the results in a spreadsheet. There are 5 events, split into boys and girls events, so 10 events in total. There are a total of 25 participants per event so the winner/fastest/longest gets 25 points down to 1 point for the last.

Anyone any good at doing a wee database todo this, or able to get excel to do it (I tried and failed at the re-organising of the data) pr know a free programme that could do it?

I need to find an alternative as the kids standing about for 2 hours waiting in the results is not good....:frown:

Craig
4th August 2011, 03:17 PM
No database/software gurus???

Big Gordy
4th August 2011, 04:20 PM
I do the results for the motocross club but they're just on an excel spread sheet. Tabs along the bottom for the different classes, 10 columns for the number of rounds in a year, with a total at the end. I then highlight all the columns and sort the last column into biggest to smallest. I can send you a copy if you want to give it a bash.

euan
4th August 2011, 05:26 PM
The "smarter" way to do this is Excel with a pivot table and some IF statements. A DB is overkill for what you are trying to do. If I get a chance I'll have a look tomorrow but I'm covering three peoples holidays at the moment so may not!

Craig
4th August 2011, 06:26 PM
Guys , I've got 5 weeks so just when you get a chance. Cheers !

euan
5th August 2011, 07:32 AM
Do you, and will you only ever, have 25 people competing? What happens if there are less?

Craig
5th August 2011, 07:58 AM
Do you, and will you only ever, have 25 people competing? What happens if there are less?

Normally 25 kids per event - ie 5 boys from Each of the five schools and 5 girls also from each school. There is never less than 25. They always have reserves so they can "fill in" if required ;)

euan
5th August 2011, 08:20 AM
OK, I've knocked up a basic template that I'll finish later, works out the rankings automatically per event so I then just need to get it assigning points to the rank, which is easy enough.

Do you just enter the position score, and I assume that position 1=25 etc? You don't track the times for example?

Craig
5th August 2011, 09:15 AM
OK, I've knocked up a basic template that I'll finish later, works out the rankings automatically per event so I then just need to get it assigning points to the rank, which is easy enough.

Do you just enter the position score, and I assume that position 1=25 etc? You don't track the times for example?

As we do the events I'n batches of 5 people, we want to just input the persons details with their distance or time and it justs sorts itself out into order (or with a click once all results in) so fastest/longest gets the mist points, down to slowest/shortest. If that makes sense ?!?!? ;)

euan
5th August 2011, 09:53 AM
Yup, makes sense.

What do you do for a tie? Do you have a joint placing or do you actually want it to rank them?

Craig
5th August 2011, 10:12 AM
Yup, makes sense.

What do you do for a tie? Do you have a joint placing or do you actually want it to rank them?

Just joint placing to make it simple ;)

euan
5th August 2011, 10:30 AM
OK, that's all done, just need to do a summary page with the current ranking and total points for you in order.

PM me your email address and I'll ping it over when it's done.

Craig
5th August 2011, 11:07 AM
Pm sent Euan.

Thanks for your help with this - much appreciated! ;)

euan
5th August 2011, 01:30 PM
Email sent.

As I say, check it does what you want and I'll finish it off.

Craig
5th August 2011, 01:59 PM
Got it Euan. I see the 3 columns. Here's the scenario. If I put in all the names, then put in their. Times for the 200m's say, how will it sort them into fastest etc and award points? Ie 25 for fastest etc..? Do I sort by column?

euan
5th August 2011, 03:45 PM
It's done only on position. I can make it do it for times if you want, but would need to adjust the order it looks for things (as I assume shorter time = better as opposed to this which does lower position is better).

Tell me the event names and which are timed and which are positioned and I'll do that.

Craig
5th August 2011, 05:37 PM
It's done only on position. I can make it do it for times if you want, but would need to adjust the order it looks for things (as I assume shorter time = better as opposed to this which does lower position is better).

Tell me the event names and which are timed and which are positioned and I'll do that.

Thanks Euan - sorry to be a pain :rolleyes:

60m and 200m - timed
Shot, javelin and caber - distance.

So all 25 are input with either their time or distance although as I say, they do the events In batches of 5 people ;)

Cheers

euan
5th August 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Euan - sorry to be a pain :rolleyes:

60m and 200m - timed
Shot, javelin and caber - distance.

So all 25 are input with either their time or distance although as I say, they do the events In batches of 5 people ;)

Cheers

That's alright, it's masses of effort to change it (change a 1 to a 0 in the formula, copy and paste ;-))

Now, the batches of 5 thing, they don't get individually ranked do they, the times are all put into the full 25 and based on that rather than the specific race?

Craig
5th August 2011, 11:34 PM
:lol:

Yeah exactly - although we do them I'n 5's they are judged in the 25 total ;)

The Dogfather
6th August 2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry I've been away on holiday otherwise I'd have knocked you something up in access, only trouble is you need access installed on the machine and its not as common as excel.

Sounds as though Euan has it sorted though.....

Craig
6th August 2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry I've been away on holiday otherwise I'd have knocked you something up in access, only trouble is you need access installed on the machine and its not as common as excel.

Cheers Paul ;)

euan
7th August 2011, 01:11 PM
Did you get my mail, is it in the right formats for you now?

euan
7th August 2011, 01:12 PM

Yeah, could have created an executable version which doesn't need Access, but then you can't update it if you ever need to so stuck with simple :-) Or could have used OpenOffice as well I guess, it works a treat.

Craig
7th August 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Euan,

Yeah working perfect ;). Sent you an email :)

C

euan
8th August 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Euan,

Yeah working perfect ;). Sent you an email :)

C

Good stuff. If I get a chance I'll make the front page look all pretty :-)