PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive DVD Recorders....

gillianmcd
2nd August 2011, 09:16 PM
Hello people!

Am interested to hear what people have to say about Hard Drive DVD recorders...? I have a very nice Panasonic Mahoosive TV & am keen to continue the theme with Panasonic. I am looking at the Panasonic DMR-XW380.....Thoughts?:idea:

I am getting one soon definitely as I want to be prepared for the Rugby World Cup! :D

Cheers for any advice! :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd August 2011, 01:02 AM
Pretty sure we have a Panasonic DVD Hard drive recorder in our conservatory. Bought it 3 or 4 years ago but can't remember why. It's never really served any purpose other than a DVD player. Tbh, it's an awful piece of sh!t. The menu system is so complex even my 13 y old niece couldn't figure it out.

I'm sure they've improved the software by now though.

Sky + HD for us. No DVD option in that though.

A.

Big Gordy
3rd August 2011, 07:30 AM
It's a Sony hard drive I have and its a good bit of kit.....must be I can work it fine...lol
Hard drive is big enough to store 28 days of programmes...!!!

euan
3rd August 2011, 08:56 AM
Why do you want a DVD recorder in it? For archiving I'm assuming?

I looked into these a few years ago and decided that I'd manage fine with just a PVR. Something like a Humax (which is what I bought), especially the new ones that will apparently allow for Sky Player through them (no doubt for a fee, but still).

You used to be able to plug an external DVD burner or a laptop (or I think a USB stick as well) to copy files off to backup on a PC and burn from there, don't know if you still can though.

gillianmcd
3rd August 2011, 09:22 AM
Pretty sure we have a Panasonic DVD Hard drive recorder in our conservatory. Bought it 3 or 4 years ago but can't remember why. It's never really served any purpose other than a DVD player. Tbh, it's an awful piece of sh!t.

Wow! You bought a £500 dvd player for your conservatory?! Fancy!!! lol :D

gillianmcd
3rd August 2011, 09:24 AM
You used to be able to plug an external DVD burner or a laptop (or I think a USB stick as well) to copy files off to backup on a PC and burn from there, don't know if you still can though.

This sounds way too complicated! ha ha All I want to do is record stuff from TV (mainly the rugby world cup!) to watch at my leisure on my tv! And I'm not getting Sky at the moment so that's out for now.... Cheers for the advice though guys! :D

AndyP & Lenore
3rd August 2011, 09:45 AM
Wow! You bought a £500 dvd player for your conservatory?! Fancy!!! lol :D

Not really. Wrote that late at night and I see that's how it looks. We bought it for the house somewhere, maybe with a plan to ditch Sky +. But it's so gawdawful, we ditched the plan and resigned the Panasonic to the Conservatory.

This sounds way too complicated! ha ha All I want to do is record stuff from TV (mainly the rugby world cup!) to watch at my leisure on my tv! And I'm not getting Sky at the moment so that's out for now.... Cheers for the advice though guys! :D

If that's all you want to do, then Euan is spot on with his suggestion of a Humax PVR.

A.

rpn
3rd August 2011, 10:27 AM
I have a Humax PVR for a few years now and still happy with it. Record TV programs for watching later! :thumbs up:

euan
3rd August 2011, 11:56 AM
Not really. Wrote that late at night and I see that's how it looks. We bought it for the house somewhere, maybe with a plan to ditch Sky +. But it's so gawdawful, we ditched the plan and resigned the Panasonic to the Conservatory.

If that's all you want to do, then Euan is spot on with his suggestion of a Humax PVR.

A.

Best thing I ever bought really, transformed how I watched TV. End up watching most stuff when you want rather than live. It's now in my in-laws house as we have Virgin (and soon, Tivo).

gillianmcd
3rd August 2011, 12:15 PM

I have a Humax PVR for a few years now and still happy with it. Record TV programs for watching later! :thumbs up:

Best thing I ever bought really, transformed how I watched TV. End up watching most stuff when you want rather than live.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the advice! I knew you lot would know some good stuff about this! ha ha This definitely sounds like a great option! :thumbs up:

Colin
4th August 2011, 02:35 PM
If all you want to do is record tv stuff then I would reccomend the Humax as well, I've got two of them.

You get them with twin tuners so you can record two channels at once.

If you have an HD TV, make sure you get the HD one so you can watch all the High Definition channels.

gillianmcd
4th August 2011, 07:35 PM
If you have an HD TV, make sure you get the HD one so you can watch all the High Definition channels.

I was looking into the Humax as this sounds like a better (and cheaper!) option for me - is there a HD one? All the reviews I came across were saying that was one of the pitfalls as it was only standard def.

Cheers! gillian :D

euan
5th August 2011, 07:22 AM
http://www.johnlewis.com/230898937/Product.aspx

That's the 500GB version, there is a 1TB version which is identical, but has more recording space. Don't underestimate the space you may or may not use, when I get Tivo I'll be getting 1TB as HD content creates massive file sizes!

Humax are really good at sending updates as well to keep the box up to date, and the planned Catch Up portal will include iPlayer as well, so no faffing about on laptops to watch stuff you missed.

gillianmcd
5th August 2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.johnlewis.com/230898937/Product.aspx

That's the 500GB version, there is a 1TB version which is identical, but has more recording space. Don't underestimate the space you may or may not use, when I get Tivo I'll be getting 1TB as HD content creates massive file sizes!

Humax are really good at sending updates as well to keep the box up to date, and the planned Catch Up portal will include iPlayer as well, so no faffing about on laptops to watch stuff you missed.

Awesome! Thanks for your advice! This is what I'm gonna get! That's a good touch including iPlayer! :thumbs up:

gillianmcd
13th August 2011, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the advice...I picked up my new Humax HDR Fox T2 this morning! Yay!! :thumbs up: Cheeeeeers!!!! :D

Craig
13th August 2011, 05:22 PM
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the advice...I picked up my new Humax HDR Fox T2 this morning! Yay!! :thumbs up: Cheeeeeers!!!! :D

Smashin ;)