PDA

View Full Version : The Clubbie is going...

Delboy
27th July 2011, 12:12 PM
As you might have guessed from my recent sales thread with the interior LEDs, my Clubbie is going very shortly. I'm trading it in for a BMW 3 Series.

It's been great having the Clubbie and I've enjoyed owning and driving it but I'm moving on to something else now. If you fancy buying it then keep an eye on the Harry Fairbairn stock in Giffnock! It's absolutely minted with only 18k on the clock (it's a May '08 registration).

The car I'm getting is a 318i Sport Plus Saloon (basically an M-Sport with extra kit!) - the pics below are from the BMW website configurator and represent the spec and colour I've ordered.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get it (within 2-3 weeks all going well) but I'll miss the Clubbie at bit I'm sure. :sad: :smilewinkgrin:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7199/bmwsportplus1.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5122/bmwsportplus2.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4981/bmwsportplus3.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6117/bmwsportplus4.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4236/bmwsportplus5.jpg

Crombers
27th July 2011, 01:46 PM
Nice car & it's a definate 'winter tyres' from me

EcosseGP
27th July 2011, 01:59 PM
Not matter what you put on that during a bad winter it ain't going anywhere .. Lovely car though getting excited ?

Gismo
27th July 2011, 02:51 PM
Nice 3 series, good choice :thumbs up:

Craig
27th July 2011, 03:19 PM
I like that Del - great car ;)

Delboy
27th July 2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks folks. :thumbs up:

Yeah, I've pretty much resigned myself to talking the bus when it snows (or my wife's S-Max)! :smilewinkgrin:

I'm really looking forward to getting it - still waiting on an actual delivery date but it should be during the second week in August. The Clubbie is going this weekend though to avoid me having to renew the insurance on Sunday for less than two weeks - I can live without a car for this period of time and it means I can get a new, competitive insurance quote for the BMW on its own (already I have one that is £100 cheaper than my Mini renewal cost).

Stewart
27th July 2011, 04:18 PM
Nice BM, sad to see the Mini go.

ianking
27th July 2011, 04:29 PM
Nice car.

Delboy
27th July 2011, 04:50 PM
Nice BM, sad to see the Mini go.

Nice car.

Thanks guys. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
27th July 2011, 04:56 PM
...it's no mini :p

seriously though nice car shame your away from the mini scene though:sad:

Bazthemod
27th July 2011, 05:15 PM
Nice motor Del, u'll need to bring it on a run sometime!

Delboy
27th July 2011, 06:30 PM
...it's no mini :p

seriously though nice car shame your away from the mini scene though:sad:

Thanks Greig. Yeah, the Mini scene really adds to the enjoyment of owning a Mini.

Delboy
27th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Nice motor Del, u'll need to bring it on a run sometime!

Cheers Baz! I'm not sure a Beamer would be that welcome at a Mini run though! :lol:

Bazthemod
27th July 2011, 06:36 PM
Anyones welcome, should see the bucket Greig turns up in!

Delboy
27th July 2011, 06:39 PM

Ha ha ha! :lol:

SuperCooperS
27th July 2011, 08:01 PM
nice car, whats inspred the change?.. i think youll definately miss the mini adventures!! youll be back before ya know it lol

Mini Ecosse
27th July 2011, 08:12 PM
Nice car :thumbs up:

Wayyyyy toooooo much money in coal :lol::lol:

Delboy
27th July 2011, 08:13 PM
nice car, whats inspred the change?.. i think youll definately miss the mini adventures!! youll be back before ya know it lol

Thanks! :thumbs up:

I've always fancied a 3 Series, and a white car, and both options came up at the same time! ;)

GCA3N
28th July 2011, 06:32 AM

...and you still couldn't keep up :p

rpn
28th July 2011, 08:07 AM
Cheers Baz! I'm not sure a Beamer would be that welcome at a Mini run though! :lol:

The Minis are BMW aren't they? :smilewinkgrin:

Delboy
28th July 2011, 08:18 AM
Nice car :thumbs up:

Wayyyyy toooooo much money in coal :lol::lol:

Thanks Stephen! Oh yeah, I'm like right up there with the Russian billionaires now.....:Whistle:

The Minis are BMW aren't they? :smilewinkgrin:

Good point! I noticed that the BM has the same computer and audio displays for a start! :smilewinkgrin:

zimbo
28th July 2011, 08:29 AM
Nice 3 series Del, I love the white on the BMW range, am a big fan of the 3 series (they've always looked really nice IMHO) and the 1 series Coupe'
the new car is more than welcome on our runs, we've had lots of different cars on runs before :yes nod:

Delboy
28th July 2011, 09:05 AM
Nice 3 series Del, I love the white on the BMW range, am a big fan of the 3 series (they've always looked really nice IMHO) and the 1 series Coupe'
the new car is more than welcome on our runs, we've had lots of different cars on runs before :yes nod:
Cheers Zimbo! Maybe I will then! :thumbs up:

ianking
28th July 2011, 09:18 AM
Ive had a BMW on a run before when I had a small spell away from Mini.

Even although it had a big proper 3.0l 6 cyl I couldnt even keep up with a mini one on the twisties as it was very wet.

I do think you will notice a big difference in power though going from an S to a 318i.

N16SHP
28th July 2011, 09:57 AM
Sad to see your clubbie go Del, as you know, I've always been a big fan of it. But a worthy replacement non the less.

Not matter what you put on that during a bad winter it ain't going anywhere .. Lovely car though getting excited ?

From past experience in the winter, I know folk who pulled off with the handbrake just slightly on to help with the traction, but now BM's are coming with electric handbrakes that are either on or off so thats the end of that wee trick!

Delboy
28th July 2011, 10:18 AM
Ive had a BMW on a run before when I had a small spell away from Mini.

Even although it had a big proper 3.0l 6 cyl I couldnt even keep up with a mini one on the twisties as it was very wet.

I do think you will notice a big difference in power though going from an S to a 318i.

Yes Ian, the performance will be less in the 318. It is actually a 2.0 litre engine with around 140bhp so will be more than adequate for my normal driving. I don't do a lot of miles so paying quite a bit extra for diesel was simply not worth it - this engine gives me a nice balance of acceptable performance with good economy (should be very similar to what I get in the Clubbie when you compare the respective fuel economy figures). I've been down the high performance route before with maximum insurance group and 20mpg around town but, tbh, I don't feel the need to do that again.

The Beamer will provide a totally different driving experience from the Clubbie and I'm looking forward to getting it. :thumbs up:

Sad to see your clubbie go Del, as you know, I've always been a big fan of it. But a worthy replacement non the less.

From past experience in the winter, I know folk who pulled off with the handbrake just slightly on to help with the traction, but now BM's are coming with electric handbrakes that are either on or off so thats the end of that wee trick!

Thanks Neil. :thumbs up:

Don't think I have an electric handbrake in mine so that trick might come in handy!

euan
1st August 2011, 08:58 AM
Best trick for driving a 3 series in the snow is to find another car ;-) I loved my BMWs, and will more than likely be getting a 3 or a 5 (if I can stretch for it) for my next car. Just didn't even bother using it in the snow as they had enormous rears on them.

I had a 318ci and a 320ci (the previous gen as I much preferred the look of the older coupe, this style of saloon is much better looking than the coupe in my view), but the thing with the BMW is that even the lower powered ones handle so sweetly as the chassis balance really flatters the car. You can still get the back out on a wet roundabout with old tyres as well if you try hard (allegedly!).

Delboy
1st August 2011, 01:54 PM
Best trick for driving a 3 series in the snow is to find another car ;-) I loved my BMWs, and will more than likely be getting a 3 or a 5 (if I can stretch for it) for my next car. Just didn't even bother using it in the snow as they had enormous rears on them.

I had a 318ci and a 320ci (the previous gen as I much preferred the look of the older coupe, this style of saloon is much better looking than the coupe in my view), but the thing with the BMW is that even the lower powered ones handle so sweetly as the chassis balance really flatters the car. You can still get the back out on a wet roundabout with old tyres as well if you try hard (allegedly!).
:laugh:

Yes, the rear tyres are actually wider than the fronts - 255/35/18 rear, 225/40/18 front - not exactly engineered for the snow!