PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyre Advice

Craig
20th July 2011, 12:59 PM
Right guys and gurls, I'm trying to get my tyres for my 4x4 for winter and I had settled on the vredestein wintrac 4 xtreme but due to camskill mucking me about (I ordered them in may and they were not in stock - they are now and want nearly another £60 as they say my original order has lapsed!!!!) I'm thinking about other tyres.

I have seen General A/T Grabber 2's which get a good rep as being a great alrounder and good also in snow,...

Anyone got any experience with winter 4x4 tyres? (please bear in mind I will be using it to go up to fort William during the winter, this isn't just to pop to the shops :moonie:)

The Dogfather
20th July 2011, 01:56 PM
You're probably buying too early to see the latest reviews, the Nokian range do 4x4 tyres

there's also a UK Importer for Nokian as well: -

Tyreco trading ltd.
Unit 7, hackhurst lane
hackhurst industrial estate
East Sussex
BN27 4BR Lower dicker (nr hailsham)
Tel. +44 (0)1323 844 600

ianking
20th July 2011, 03:15 PM
General have been making 4x4 tyres for years. We used to fit them to 4x4s that we sold at the garage when I worked there as they were a good price. Never had any complaints or cars returned.

Craig
20th July 2011, 03:32 PM
You're probably buying too early to see the latest reviews, the Nokian range do 4x4 tyres

there's also a UK Importer for Nokian as well: -

Tyreco trading ltd.
Unit 7, hackhurst lane
hackhurst industrial estate
East Sussex
BN27 4BR Lower dicker (nr hailsham)
Tel. +44 (0)1323 844 600

Not really interested I'n the latest reviews tbh Paul as I'm looking for good tyres at a decent price before they sky rocket for winter. The vreds have gone up £13 a tyre already I'n 2 months !!

The Dogfather
20th July 2011, 05:30 PM
I always found that prices are at their lowest in September/October when the tyre stockists have decent stock levels.

As for Vreds, they're always over priced. I'll be looking at the new Nokian range this year so I might give the importers a try.

Crombers
20th July 2011, 08:29 PM
Em (puts arm round his big mate), ain't we taking this a bit too far & all that.
Are we actually taking 'this thing' up Ben 'feckin' Nevis!!!
I thought it had 4WD? & you are gonna 'fanny' about with winter 'friggin' tyres!!

I reckon you need a curry fella :rolleyes: :thumbs up:

Craig
20th July 2011, 09:48 PM
I'll take a curry off you any time big yin ;)

As for the car and tyres - belt and braces mate , dinnae want ANY issues this winter (or next)

Craig
20th July 2011, 09:49 PM
I always found that prices are at their lowest in September/October when the tyre stockists have decent stock levels.

As for Vreds, they're always over priced. I'll be looking at the new Nokian range this year so I might give the importers a try.

Interesting Paul.... I'd have thought that would have been when they would be the highest demand and the highest prices....

The Dogfather
20th July 2011, 09:58 PM
The price increase that you saw was based upon last years price vs this years price, and it was probably for a special order as you wanted them early so it may have included a shipping charge. When they buy their big batch in September/October that shipping charge will go and they'll have got a price for buying in bulk.

Camskills sold out completely last winter so they don't have stock lying around that they need to discount.

Who knows what might happen though, rubber prices might go through the roof, another European country could make winter tyres compulsory (Germany did last year). I'm going to wait, partly because I want to spend the little bit of spare cash I have on a holiday.

Scottie
20th July 2011, 10:29 PM
always been a Grabber AT tyre person for my 4x4

formula 4x4 always offered a good price and quick delivey and really you are looking for a A/T tyre for a 4x4 rather than thinking winter tyre like you would for a car. wouldn't go M/S route

Craig
20th July 2011, 11:16 PM
I am a BIG fan of the nokian brand. My mini went everywhere last year with ground clearance my only issue which is nothing to do with the tyre ;)

Interesting about the a/t route Fi. Surely that doesn't help with the below 7 degrees thing and also the self cleaning properties for snow and slush that winter tyres have??

Scottie
20th July 2011, 11:34 PM
I had a/t fitted to all including the V10 .
Never once got stuck or any problems on the tarmac kept them on all year round its your choice

Mini Ecosse
21st July 2011, 06:48 AM
BFG's every time. Always out performed all others when we used to be in Glencoe skiing every winter.

Big Gordy
21st July 2011, 07:21 AM
I'm sure it was A/T's Ross had on his Defender and never had any issues in the snow last year :confused: They are crap in mud tho :p

Craig
21st July 2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys..... ;). Gonna hold off at the moment.. Forgot the punto needs serviced, taxed and insured this month coming :thud:

stoney
21st July 2011, 01:04 PM
Will have a look what Audi supplied for my dads Q7 when get home and will report back

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Craig
21st July 2011, 02:06 PM
Will have a look what Audi supplied for my dads Q7 when get home and will report back

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Cheers Rob ;)

Crombers
21st July 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys..... ;). Gonna hold off at the moment.. Forgot the punto needs serviced, taxed and insured this month coming :thud:

Bet I'd get the 'Ferrari Punto' up to FW in the thick white stuff :rolleyes:

Save yer dosh & mon the hoops :thumbs up: :hand:

The Dogfather
21st July 2011, 10:27 PM
Craig, just some feedback from the guy who lives over the road. As you know we do get a fair bit of snow here....

He has a Discovery series II, I think, he has all terrain tyres and he said that they were great for keeping moving but weren't so great at stoping/turning on the packed snow.

Craig
21st July 2011, 11:14 PM
Craig, just some feedback from the guy who lives over the road. As you know we do get a fair bit of snow here....

He has a Discovery series II, I think, he has all terrain tyres and he said that they were great for keeping moving but weren't so great at stoping/turning on the packed snow.

Thanks Paul. I must say that Im defo gonna get winter tyres as even if we don't get snow, they give much more confidence in really cold weather ;)

Crombers
22nd July 2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks Paul. I must say that Im defo gonna get winter tyres as even if we don't get snow, they give much more confidence in really cold weather ;)

Waste of dosh fella, but it's your wonga :confused:

The Dogfather
22nd July 2011, 04:21 PM
Waste of dosh from someone living on the west coast, try living in the NE and you'll see that they're worth every penny.

Plus whilst you've got them on your summer tyres aren't getting worn, so the only real additional cost is the cost of the extra rims.

Craig
22nd July 2011, 05:18 PM
Waste of dosh fella, but it's your wonga :confused:

Thing is Allan, all 4 houses within the family are down a hill, and all of our caring sharing employers have stated that if you do not get to work in the winter (regardless of how ard and how long to try) they will doc you a days wages or day annual leave. These tyres will pay for themselves in 2 days of snow so they are defo not a waste, plus I get the rest of the winter out of them with much better grip in the old weather ;)

Also, not living in a big city means they don't grit our roads so it's not the main roads that are the issue, it's getting to and from them :thud:

Mon the fish
25th July 2011, 08:12 AM
I made it through an Aberdeenshire winter last year on Parada's....

Saying that, I will be getting winters for the wife

The Dogfather
25th July 2011, 02:39 PM
I made it through an Aberdeenshire winter last year on Parada's....

Saying that, I will be getting winters for the wife

Not surprising considering Alford's roads are usually well gritted, isn't the gritting depot nearby?

Craig
25th July 2011, 03:31 PM
yeah, we got pretty much no grit for my commute to work of 7 miles, and having 4 inches of snow on the main road right outside a hospital/police station is just mental :argh:

god knows where my council tax and road tax goes, cos the local councils certainly dont spend it on keeping the roads in good condition, or making sure they stay open/safe in the bad weather! :ragin:

The Dogfather
25th July 2011, 04:37 PM
The main roads near us tend to be gritted fairly well but I had a 36 mile drive which meant I was bound to hit some untreated roads. The roads round our estate weren't touched.

Not sure what Sunderland will be like but the worry is that it'll be gridlock.

Ill be putting my faith in winter rubber if I get my MX5, and given the fact I live on a hill facing east towards the Baltic they better work or I'll be walking.

Mon the fish
26th July 2011, 07:05 AM
Not surprising considering Alford's roads are usually well gritted, isn't the gritting depot nearby?

It is, but they weren't that good last year. The farmers cleared more than anyone - wonder how much they get paid for doing that...

Crombers
26th July 2011, 09:16 AM
The main roads near us tend to be gritted fairly well but I had a 36 mile drive which meant I was bound to hit some untreated roads. The roads round our estate weren't touched.

Not sure what Sunderland will be like but the worry is that it'll be gridlock.

Ill be putting my faith in winter rubber if I get my MX5, and given the fact I live on a hill facing east towards the Baltic they better work or I'll be walking.

Putting winter tyres on a rwd car I can fully understand but on a 4wd I just don't get it. Where I live on the south side of Glasgow we are fairly high up & Newton Mearns & East Kilbride gets a fair dump of the white stuff every winter. Have I ever not gotten to work on my Uniroyal Rainsports , eh no!!
It's a bit of fun granted but it's very do'able

The Dogfather
26th July 2011, 01:35 PM
Putting winter tyres on a rwd car I can fully understand but on a 4wd I just don't get it. Where I live on the south side of Glasgow we are fairly high up & Newton Mearns & East Kilbride gets a fair dump of the white stuff every winter. Have I ever not gotten to work on my Uniroyal Rainsports , eh no!!
It's a bit of fun granted but it's very do'able

What's your insurance excess?

Winters help you stop, turn as well as keep going. 4WD keeps you going only, a 2tonne 4x4 takes a lot of stopping and having winters helps on cold wet and icy roads. One bump in winter and you'll have your excess to pay and increased premiums afterwards which will be more than the cost of a set of tyres.

Oh, remember that whilst they're on the car your summer tyres aren't getting worn so the only real cost is the 2nd set of wheels.

My old TT was 4WD and it was a handful in snow, I damaged all 4 of its wheels playing pinball off kerbs when I skidded on ice, I was only doing 10mpg but the hill did the rest.

Crombers
26th July 2011, 02:43 PM
What's your insurance excess?

Winters help you stop, turn as well as keep going. 4WD keeps you going only, a 2tonne 4x4 takes a lot of stopping and having winters helps on cold wet and icy roads. One bump in winter and you'll have your excess to pay and increased premiums afterwards which will be more than the cost of a set of tyres.

Oh, remember that whilst they're on the car your summer tyres aren't getting worn so the only real cost is the 2nd set of wheels.

My old TT was 4WD and it was a handful in snow, I damaged all 4 of its wheels playing pinball off kerbs when I skidded on ice, I was only doing 10mpg but the hill did the rest.

Ok my Punto ain't 2 tonne Tess so I'll buy your point re weights of vehicles.

I just dont see how a KIA Splifythingy with all that techno 'transformer' stuff needs a set of winter rubber, are we all going soft when we see an inch of snow like the Engerlanders (eh oops !!!! LoL)

The Dogfather
26th July 2011, 05:28 PM
Last year the snow topped out at 2ft deep here, probably just a light dusting for you, eh?

Re: Kia, the techie stuff is only going to be as good as the rubber it has in contact with the ground.

I would go as far as saying that an MX5 with winters will out perform a fancy dan Kia with standard tyres when it comes to stopping and going on snow as long as the MX5 doesn't run out of ground clearance.

gpTfehDrGOs

thechief
1st August 2011, 10:06 PM
Have winter tyres/wheels for my cooper S and 335i, if you have the money spare you'd be a mug not to buy them.

I originally bought the Vredestein Wintrac's for the mini so my wife could use it safely through winter, I was so impressed with them that I ordered Toyo snowprox for the BMW a week later. Every car I own from now on will have a set.

Craig
1st August 2011, 11:05 PM
Have winter tyres/wheels for my cooper S and 335i, if you have the money spare you'd be a mug not to buy them.

I originally bought the Vredestein Wintrac's for the mini so my wife could use it safely through winter, I was so impressed with them that I ordered Toyo snowprox for the BMW a week later. Every car I own from now on will have a set.

Another man talks sense :yes nod:

Craig
30th August 2011, 11:46 AM
Well, started my phoning and Internet searching for prices/options. Tyreco who are the Uk distributor for Nokian tyres have said that Nokian cannot make enough winter tyres to satisfy demand and I would have to order now and they "might" get them in Nov, but there are no guarantees... :thud: also they want £150 a corner which I think is steep.

I can get the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme's for under £100 a corner and they seem to get great reviews, even on land rover forums! :thumbs up:

Ps - Crombers unhelpful posts on the subject will be deleted :yes nod:

Crombers
30th August 2011, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah!!! ;-)

The Dogfather
30th August 2011, 12:11 PM
Can we just not delete Crombers? ;)

The Dogfather
1st October 2011, 01:46 AM
Craig, just bought a set of Hankook iCept Evos from Camskill

these

(http://www.camskill.co.uk/m96b0s628p61800/HANKOOK_TYRES_WINTER_SNOW_CAR_HANKOOK_W310_ICEPT_H ANKOOK_W_310_-_205_50R16_91H_XL_TL_)

Craig
1st October 2011, 09:25 AM
Craig, just bought a set of Hankook iCept Evos from Camskill

these

(http://www.camskill.co.uk/m96b0s628p61800/HANKOOK_TYRES_WINTER_SNOW_CAR_HANKOOK_W310_ICEPT_H ANKOOK_W_310_-_205_50R16_91H_XL_TL_)

Cool.....

I got a set of Nokian W+ (http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=15706037&group=1.01&name=Nokian+W%2B) with steel wheels from MyTyres for the Punto as they were mega cheap and I trust the Nokian brand ;) My sister is going to be using the Punto most of the winter as her CLC Merc is nae use in the cold weather, far less the snow.. :rolleyes:

got the Vred Wintrac 4 Xtreme (http://www.camskill.co.uk/m101b0s1521p9038/VREDESTEIN_TYRES_WINTER_SNOW_4X4_VREDESTEIN_WINTRA C4_XTREME_VREDESTEIN_WINTRAC_4_XTREME_-_215_70R16_100H_TL_) for the Sportage as the Nokian Happa R's were going to be another £60 per tyre so didn't see the value...

Sounds like I wont have to wait long to see how they will work... :yes nod:

thechief
13th October 2011, 12:52 PM
Noticing prices are taking a bit of a rise lately....

Got my Vredesteins ordered for my JCW though, hopefully it wont snow too much before it arrives in December!!!

stoney
13th October 2011, 12:57 PM
mine are sitting wating to go on the first time i see a gritter on the road :lol:

Craig
13th October 2011, 03:44 PM
Noticing prices are taking a bit of a rise lately....

Got my Vredesteins ordered for my JCW though, hopefully it wont snow too much before it arrives in December!!!

Fingers crossed for you. Temps due to drop a fair bit next week. Put my Vreds on the KIA today just in case as I'm going "up north" ;)

Crombers
13th October 2011, 04:04 PM
Can we just not delete Crombers? ;)

Never saw this one ..................... like it :thumbs up:

Quite a few people will have wanted to do just that, over the years :smilewinkgrin: