PDA

View Full Version : Lee Child / Jack Reacher fans...

AndyP & Lenore
16th July 2011, 12:30 AM
It's been confirmed today that Tom Cruise will play our Jack in Christopher McQuarries adaptation of One Shot. McQuarrie also directing. Filming starts 27th September in Pitsberg.

A.

Gismo
16th July 2011, 03:55 PM
Cool, nice one, but, Reacher is well over 6ft and they get a short erse to play his part :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2011, 12:31 AM
Cool, nice one, but, Reacher is well over 6ft and they get a short erse to play his part :lol:

Yeah, safe to say the news has NOT gone down well with Lee's fans. He's getting a lot of hate messages and people saying they will never buy another book etc. His forums are swamped with folk bitching about it. Stupid childish stuff really.:frown:

But that's the problem, Jack has been in the public domain for so long we all feel like he's ours, and Lee has no right casting anyone other than our perfect actor to play our favourite character. But the truth is that Lee had absolutely NO say in who was cast. Lee figures that movie makers are professionals at making movies. They don't bitch at him if his plot lines don't add up, why should he bitch at them if he doesn't like their casting choice.

Lee's read the screenplay and it's a corker apparently. But the truth is that good screenplays don't sell millions of cinema tickets. Stars sell millions of cinema tickets. So, the bigger the star, the more tickets will be sold. It's an oversimplification of the process, but you get my drift.

I don't think TC would have been any fans first choice, but at least there's a movie being made after all these years of it's happening, it's not, it's happening, it's not. Now it IS. And I for one CAN NOT WAIT!

A.:D

euan
17th July 2011, 02:39 PM
Sad but true.

We watched In Bruges for the first time last night, and while it was a critical success I don't recall it was an instant box office success. It made it's money but it took a while. With a bigger name it might have made more, however I couldn't see anyone else playing the lead characters in it. Colin Farrell, for all his failings, is very good in it.

I read somewhere that most actors are shorter than you think, I'm struggling to think (outside of action films) of any particularly tall blokes. Liam Neeson is the only one that comes to mind.

Delboy
17th July 2011, 07:32 PM
I love the Jack Reacher books - I'm still reading through the lot of them after buying one of newer books earlier this year!

Cannot believe Tom Cruise is playing him in a movie. :thud: I don't think they could have picked someone less like Jack, except perhaps Rowan Atkinson! :lol:

Anyway, I'm very excited that there's a movie coming out. :)

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2011, 12:51 AM
They should cast Rowan as The Zec.:lol: