PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Townhead Cafe, Biggar

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 08:46 PM
I believe the best chippy in Scotland is in Biggar, it won the UK's prize in 2008.

Has anyone tried it?

Stewart
14th July 2011, 12:17 AM
Nope, I think the best up here is the The Anstruther Fish Bar that wins everything.

The Dogfather
14th July 2011, 06:39 AM
So everyone says, but Townhead came out ahead of Anstruther in a head to head competition judged by a panel of experts and previous winners.

I'm just wondering if its worth a trip up into bandit country.....

ianking
14th July 2011, 07:58 AM
Im in Biggar regularly with work. My colleagues and I have no idea how it won. It really isnt very good.

However down at the south end of Biggar there is a wee chip shop run by chinese people and it is fantastic. It has a sit in bit through the back that is decorated like a chinese restaurant. Well worth a visit.
I sent the grandparents down as they were not impressed with the award winning chippie either and they love the wee one down the south end.

The Dogfather
14th July 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks Ian, its a long way to travel to be disappointed. The ones near us who have won or come close to winning are excellent.

But the one in Stonehaven, The Bay, is the best I've had yet that never got past the regionals.

Neil - TXJ
14th July 2011, 03:35 PM
Im in Biggar regularly with work. My colleagues and I have no idea how it won. It really isnt very good.

However down at the south end of Biggar there is a wee chip shop run by chinese people and it is fantastic. It has a sit in bit through the back that is decorated like a chinese restaurant. Well worth a visit.
I sent the grandparents down as they were not impressed with the award winning chippie either and they love the wee one down the south end.

Lunchtime stop for a run!!! I keep meaning to have a look at possible routes without clashing with what Andy does

ELFMAN
15th July 2011, 02:44 PM
Im in Biggar regularly with work. My colleagues and I have no idea how it won. It really isnt very good. However down at the south end of Biggar there is a wee chip shop run by chinese people and it is fantastic. It has a sit in bit through the back that is decorated like a chinese restaurant. Well worth a visit. I sent the grandparents down as they were not impressed with the award winning chippie either and they love the wee one down the south end.

Thanks Ian, I'm bleedin' starvin' now!!! :drool: