PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Computer

Sheilz
13th July 2011, 08:42 PM
At weekend Dougall got new brake pads fitted. I couldn't suss out how to reset the computer so took it to the stealer this morning to be told that they could do it but gonna cost £25 + vat. Service desk said it involves about half an hours work. Anyone know if its possible to do this without being ripped off by stealers? When I'd been fiddling with it had reset the MOT due to 2031 so guy reset that for me. Cant for the life of me understand why these service lights can't be reset without incurring charges.

Anyone any ideas?

Thank you

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, its complicated but a bit like getting a cheat to work on a game. It takes about 30 seconds not 30 mins. You might need a couple of goes though.

BTW, what a bunch of robbing bastards.

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 08:50 PM
Insert Key
Do not press clutch / brake
Press Start button
Wait until the Car / revelant Service symbol disappears on the Rev counter display
Immediately after the symbol goes out - Press and hold Both buttons on the Rev Counter
Continue to hold - the system Will run a dash light check
Continue to hold
Display will then show VIN / Menu, - continue to hold through this until the time Reappears on the display.
Now release Only the Right hand Button (trip reset) for about a second, and then press and hold again (whilst still holding the LH button)
After another second or 2 the display will show the Front Brake Symbol You Are Now in the Service Menu
Use the BC Button (on indicator stalk) to scroll through to the relevant symbol - eg Rear Brakes

To Reset the warning indicator light - Press & Hold the BC Button at the revelant symbol until RESET appears - then press and hold again until the process is complete.

Turn Off and On the Ignition again - Warning should now have gone!

Thanks to Google and MINI2

Sheilz
13th July 2011, 09:02 PM
Fantastic Paul. I'm away over to Darren's to get him to try this for me. Thieving feckers those dealers. Thank you

KenL
13th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Good post dogfather, but I do not think what the dealer was charging was that bad if they did not change the pads. They probably hook the car up to a computer.

The real rip is what they charge for changing the pads and no doubt they change the discs at the same time.

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 10:16 PM
Ken, it took me 10 secs to do mine. How can you justify charging £30 for that?

They could have done it out of courtesy.....

Stewart
14th July 2011, 12:06 AM
If the guy had just said if you could take a seat I’ll get someone to do it for you it’s a simple wee job you would have driven away happy and thinking that was nice. Customer happy with little to no effort and no cost should be a result.

Shocking customer service, its like every time I’ve been in with my car the windscreen wipers have been needing renewed even on the 10 plate I got the same thing over the desk the other day….you get to think is it just standard spiel.

Mon the fish
14th July 2011, 07:07 AM
My wife's car was in the particularly useless Aberdeen dealership yesterday, and was informed that (funnily enough) the front pads and discs would need replacing in 900 miles, when the next service is due. There's over 3mm on the pads...

KenL
14th July 2011, 12:55 PM
It is a business and they probably have a minimum length of job they can book.

Sheilz
14th July 2011, 08:39 PM
I did it myself tonight and agree with Paul, it took seconds and was incredibly simple and straight forward to do. Also agree with Stewart that for the sake of customer relations I think they should have done this out of courtesy. They don't do themselves any favours in terms of PR do they? I will take great delight in telling them tomorrow that I no longer need the appointment. Mega chuffed having saved myself £30. Ace :thumbs up:

:p To John Clark

KenL
14th July 2011, 08:56 PM
Good stuff.

weefossy
14th July 2011, 09:09 PM
Had absolutely no problems at Peter Vardy. Take a seat sir, would you like a coffee and it will be ready in 10 minutes......job done. Oh and no charge. :thumbs up:

KenL
15th July 2011, 05:09 PM
Had absolutely no problems at Peter Vardy. Take a seat sir, would you like a coffee and it will be ready in 10 minutes......job done. Oh and no charge. :thumbs up:

Interesting. Had you had pads replaced elsewhere?

Sheilz
16th July 2011, 12:56 AM
Interesting. Had you had pads replaced elsewhere?

Surely would have had to sit for more than ten mins if they'd replaced brake pads and would have reset computer at the same time. Yes?

KenL
16th July 2011, 07:54 AM
Surely would have had to sit for more than ten mins if they'd replaced brake pads and would have reset computer at the same time. Yes?

I was wondering if it was a fault or maybe they had not done it correctly.

I still think it unusual for a company to do this for free if you had not given the business to change the pads.

EcosseGP
16th July 2011, 10:02 AM
Anyone know the sequence for an 2006 R53 model ? Save me dropping by the garage & them wanting big bucks ..

Sheilz
16th July 2011, 10:29 AM
Any chance it might be the same as for fat minis? Otherwise maybe google could help?

The Dogfather
16th July 2011, 11:11 AM
1. Push the Trip Button
2. Turn ignition key to position 1 and 51A will appear to left of mileage
3. Release trip button
4. Wait 3 seconds
5. Push trip button
6. Wait (5-8 seconds) for RST to appear in left corner
7. Release trip button
8. Push trip button
9. 15000 will appear as new service interval
10. Release trip button

To reset the brake fluid indicator, press the trip button when 51A and the service indicator is showing.

EcosseGP
16th July 2011, 12:32 PM
That for the R53 ... Top man !!

The Dogfather
16th July 2011, 03:49 PM
I google'd it and that's what came up, its free so worth a try I guess

weefossy
16th July 2011, 05:16 PM
Sorry if I confused anybody, it wasn't the brake light, it was a low battery warning light that came on after we did the last detailing. Doors, hatch open all day. Peter Vardy spent about 10-15 mins checking out what might have caused the problem and came to the above conclusion. They then reset it all and I was away. I suppose this kind of thing is covered under the warranty. Don't think I could have done it myself.
Apologies again for any confusion.