minimad
11th July 2011, 11:12 PM
great race?anyone?:thumbs up:

Craig
11th July 2011, 11:36 PM
You took yer time Tony !!! ;)

stoney
12th July 2011, 08:44 AM
Very good race glad that twat won and stoped vetial winning but it will be short lived I feel

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

The Dogfather
12th July 2011, 09:52 AM
Great drive by Hamilton but he couldn't keep pace with the RBs and Ferraris. He let his driving do the talking for once, that overtake on Alonso was ballsy. The last lap was a cracker that defence on Massa was a great bit of driving with a car that had lost its braking and tyre temp.

Alonso proved that with a competitive car he'll be hard to beat, shame that the pass on Vettel was made in the pit rather than on the track.

Its also a shame Webber was told to reign it in as I think he'd have taken Vettel before the end, perhaps RB are concerned about a resurgent Ferrari.

euan
13th July 2011, 08:41 AM
RB really annoyed me with this whole "maintain the gap" stuff after the outcry they made last year when Ferrari did it. In fact....

“It’s part of the Red Bull ethics to allow our drivers to race, and that’s what we’ve done, as I believe McLaren allow their drivers to do likewise. That was a very clear team instruction today that handed the race win from one driver to another. It’s wrong that the drivers weren’t allowed to compete with each other.”
- Christian Horner, July 27 2010

“it would be absolute stupidity to allow them to race”
- Christian Horner, July 10 2011

Don't trust the man at all. They lost a lot of face this weekend and I think they're surprised at the backlash, mainly as Webber is so popular in the UK.

Ferrari changed so much on their car I hope they do well with it and this wasn't a one off. The championship needs to be competitive, and much as I'd rather it was McLaren I'll be ok with Alonso doing it. Anything so I don't need to see that bloody finger!!!

minimad
13th July 2011, 10:05 AM
thanks euan for bringing that point up i got pelters last season for the massa alonso incident everyone has to understand that it happens in every TEAM!!!

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 11:23 AM
Not McLaren, Hamilton overtook Button despite Button having more Championship points.

So far only RB and Ferrari have been heard to issue team orders, in Ferrari's defence they never claimed they wouldn't, unlike RB.

McLaren do have a long history of allowing their drivers to race though e.g. Senna vs Prost

Doug_m
13th July 2011, 01:20 PM
Magic race. Was down there with jack678.

Saw hamilton/massa battle the last two corners right in front of our eyes! Awesome experiance.

If anyone hasnt been to a race before, do go! Friggen ace.

minimad
13th July 2011, 03:05 PM
Eh not mclaren....alonso hamilton??

Gismo
13th July 2011, 06:31 PM
thanks euan for bringing that point up i got pelters last season for the massa alonso incident everyone has to understand that it happens in every TEAM!!!

Sorry, that Ferrari debacle occurred when team orders were not allowed, they lost me as a long time fan.

Also glad the vettel finger wasn't waving for victory, funny he doesn't show any other number when he finishes a race

euan
13th July 2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry, that Ferrari debacle occurred when team orders were not allowed, they lost me as a long time fan.

Also glad the vettel finger wasn't waving for victory, funny he doesn't show any other number when he finishes a race

Agreed - Ferrari was in a different time when it was outlawed. Now it's allowed, but if you come all high and mighty like Horner did and then come out with that on Sunday, it's a bit rich. It's not like Vettel needs the points...

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 07:41 PM
Eh not mclaren....alonso hamilton??

That's why the Spanish baby threw his toys out, he couldn't beat a rookie. He wanted team orders as he was a world champion, Mclaren said no, it wasn't the way they did things.

zimbo
13th July 2011, 08:27 PM
That whole "Maintain the GAP" pish was a load of bo!!ocks :ragin: the 'one' fingered one doesn't need any more points but Webber could have done with those extra points. (Horner = :moonie: even if team orders are allowed this season)

Felt sorry for Jenson though, doing a great job till the muppet holding the looly pop released him minus his right front wheel nut... :argh:

The only way Ferrari won that race was coz of the mistake by RB in the pits with the rear wheel issue on the one fingered ones car let them get passed :rolleyes:

So overall not a great race in my books :frown:

The Dogfather
13th July 2011, 08:39 PM
I think it was still a great race, a lot of drama admittedly some of it down to mistakes - Button and Vettel.

The progress that Hamilton made whilst the conditions were a bit dodgy and that overtake on Alonso in particular was special.

Crombers
14th July 2011, 09:32 PM
One happy chappy :thumbs up:

I reckon that Alonso would have taken Vettel on the track given the pace the Prancing Horse had

Go the Fernando :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
14th July 2011, 09:35 PM
I think it was still a great race, a lot of drama admittedly some of it down to mistakes - Button and Vettel.

The progress that Hamilton made whilst the conditions were a bit dodgy and that overtake on Alonso in particular was special.

& the re overtake on Hamilton was equally impressive :hand:

The Dogfather
14th July 2011, 10:26 PM
& the re overtake on Hamilton was equally impressive :hand:\

Wasn't mate, he let him past pretty much. Hamilton put his car on to wet track at 150mph (with slicks) approaching a corner not knowing whether the tyres would have dried off enough so that he could slow down.

Crombers
15th July 2011, 09:13 PM
\

Wasn't mate, he let him past pretty much. Hamilton put his car on to wet track at 150mph (with slicks) approaching a corner not knowing whether the tyres would have dried off enough so that he could slow down.

Are you getting technical with me :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
15th July 2011, 09:57 PM
Are you getting technical with me :rolleyes:

Sorry mate you've lost me, technical?

Crombers
16th July 2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry mate you've lost me, technical?

Just 'joshin' ya rocket

Yes Hamiltons overtake on Alonso was impressive but when I see a red car doing any overtaking I'm just ever so slightly biased :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
16th July 2011, 03:48 PM
Just 'joshin' ya rocket

Yes Hamiltons overtake on Alonso was impressive but when I see a red car doing any overtaking I'm just ever so slightly biased :smilewinkgrin:

Ah got ya, easy to see why you get excited it doesn't happen all that often.

Crombers
16th July 2011, 08:52 PM
Ah got ya, easy to see why you get excited it doesn't happen all that often.

Mmmmmmm........... ok then 1-0 to you

Watching this space..............:smilewinkgrin:

N16SHP
16th July 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone on here about the team orders situation, but did Coulthard not slow down and let Hakkenen past in Australia when team orders were banned, or was it that move that banned team orders in the first place?

The Dogfather
16th July 2011, 11:58 PM
I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone on here about the team orders situation, but did Coulthard not slow down and let Hakkenen past in Australia when team orders were banned, or was it that move that banned team orders in the first place?

I thought that was an agreement between him and Mika, not the teams orders. He even said back in 2000 that there was no team orders at McLaren

N16SHP
17th July 2011, 06:59 PM
I thought that was an agreement between him and Mika, not the teams orders. He even said back in 2000 that there was no team orders at McLaren

Ah cool, thanks for that Paul. I was sure there was a reason said behind it, just couldn't remember.

The Dogfather
17th July 2011, 07:29 PM
I google'd it as I vaguely remembered the incident and it went against what I've always believed (heard) about Mclaren not having team orders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHd8n1D4wkM

Mika was an awesome driver, in a more (consistently) competitive car he would have been held in the same regard as Schumacher IMO.

N16SHP
17th July 2011, 11:05 PM
In the same way, I think had David Coulthard not had Hakkinen as a team mate, we'd of had another British world champion?

Mon the fish
18th July 2011, 07:48 AM
Comparing Mika to Schumacher - in Michael's first career, he could really transcend a weaker car; this is to me what marked him out as one of the greats - the gap to his team-mate was always higher in an inferior car. When the car was better (i.e. 2001-2004 Ferrari's), he didn't have as much of a gap, and didn't look as impressive.

This is the one area he was much better than any of his contemporaries IMO - he could really out-drive a weaker car

euan
18th July 2011, 08:54 AM
Comparing Mika to Schumacher - in Michael's first career, he could really transcend a weaker car; this is to me what marked him out as one of the greats - the gap to his team-mate was always higher in an inferior car. When the car was better (i.e. 2001-2004 Ferrari's), he didn't have as much of a gap, and didn't look as impressive.

This is the one area he was much better than any of his contemporaries IMO - he could really out-drive a weaker car

The key to it was to be able to out-drive the car, but to do it without making errors. Hamilton has the same ability but makes more mistakes in the process. Now, you could argue that with unlimited testing Schmacher knew the car better so knew exactly where the limits were and what was going to happen, either way it's impressive.

Mika stuck with McLaren through the lean times and was rewarded with a championship as he took a punt that at some point they'd come good. He was good enough to be a multiple world champion. Had the car been there then arguably Coultard could have won it as well, he was always there or thereabouts but always seemed to get car trouble.