PDA

View Full Version : FYI - Rear Brakes for JCW S

Burple
11th July 2011, 05:24 PM
Don't even try to order rear discs from any motor factor (D&A, Autosave etc...) they don't have the discs on their system. apparently it's an OEM only part - basically cos there's not so many JCWs on the road as 'normal' Mini's, manufacturers aren't spending the money to get the discs made.

Just been through this all weekend, after giving my Reg No to the parts place, and them getting me the discs the system puts up for my reg. They'll only ever give you the 259mm discs, JCWs are 280mm. Also be aware that there are different wear sensors out there too, you'll need the one with the white connector, not black - as below:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/5926910844_8b77931b0d_z.jpg

Not having a moan at anywhere in particular, just FYI, beware when ordering specific JCW parts.

Oh.. and of course.. the bigger discs are about £20 more expensive! :rolleyes:;)

ianking
12th July 2011, 03:15 PM
Yip I know this too sadly.

Ive had to replace my rear discs and pads.

Also had to replace my front pads but never tried a motor factor for them, just went straight to Mini to order them. The lip of the front discs just needed a good clean up with a hammer to remove the loose corossion and they will be good for another 20k.

The rears were goosed though as they are not as thick as the fronts.

Also as Im sure Euan will confirm, its a doddle to fit them (both front and rears) so if you have a wee bit tech knowledge and some tools at home you will save £££ doing it yourself.

Burple
12th July 2011, 03:57 PM
Yip I know this too sadly.

Ive had to replace my rear discs and pads.

Also had to replace my front pads but never tried a motor factor for them, just went straight to Mini to order them. The lip of the front discs just needed a good clean up with a hammer to remove the loose corossion and they will be good for another 20k.

The rears were goosed though as they are not as thick as the fronts.

Also as Im sure Euan will confirm, its a doddle to fit them (both front and rears) so if you have a wee bit tech knowledge and some tools at home you will save £££ doing it yourself.

Yeah, it's not time for the fronts yet.. not looking forward to THAT one!! ££££ :ragin::hand: Although I'll probably upgrade to the grooved and drilled ones then ;)

Rear ones, Dead simple to change, even easier than previous models - even the 'screw back' pistons have grooves in them rather than holes, so you've more chance of getting a tool to fit. I might even do a 'How to' guide to chuck up here since I have to take them apart AGAIN to refit the right discs, right wear sensor and the new pads this weekend :rolleyes::hand: