PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring

Mon the fish
8th July 2011, 08:33 AM
By no means is this fully planned or anything, but I'm getting some ideas together and wanted to see if there would be any interest.

Plan at the moment would be to go over Sunday/Monday, as the 'Ring is quietest Mon/Tues evenings - means less pulling over to let R35s, GT3s etc past.

Hull-Rotterdam ferry, then it's just over a 3 hour drive to the 'Ring. Not looked at accommodation yet.

Spa is only just over an hour away from the 'Ring, so we would do that on the way back.

Obviously this all depends on the tracks being available etc, and would be next summer, but is anyone provisionally up for this?

zimbo
8th July 2011, 09:38 AM
I have always wanted to go to "The RING" :yes nod: I'd be a maybe for this.

SuperCooperS
8th July 2011, 09:56 AM
Hello Id be a maybe, sounds like it would be great fun

Gismo
8th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Good on ya for throwing this up, i would have been a defo had i still been in the UK, not much use i know, but, fingers crossed you can get it organised as i know from the folks reactions after they have been round it is always positive :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
8th July 2011, 01:58 PM
You might want to see if there's any interest on NM as well, just a thought....

stoney
8th July 2011, 05:35 PM
i would be interested

GCA3N
8th July 2011, 06:13 PM
Would all depend on the date. But would give this serious thought.

sent from my galaxy S ll

gillianmcd
8th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Hell yeah! :thumbs up:

weefossy
8th July 2011, 11:02 PM
It's our intention to go next year on our way to a driving holiday in the Italian lakes, but I would also consider going with a group again, it's great fun. Last time we went the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry and that worked well. There are two hotels very close to the ring that are fairly reasonable, with "lads 3 to room" type accomodation. One of them is owned by Sabine's family and the food is excellent. To go round in the M5 with Sabine, if it's still available, is really worth the money, but we had to book a year in advance.
Always bare in mind the risk factor, which must be down to every individual, the ring is fuelled on adrenalin and that causes its own problems. Also take a close look at insurance cover, cause "sh>t happens" and there are British insurance people over there, taking pictures all the time.
Would be great to see this trip happening.

SimonC
9th July 2011, 12:45 AM
Guys,

I am not long back and the only thing I have to say to you all is............. DO IT!

It really is unbelieveable, from start to finish, the trip I had with the boys was amazing. It's really every boys dream to be there and I can promise you all, you will love it.

Mon the fish
9th July 2011, 07:04 AM
I'm thinking late June next year, pending availability of the track etc.

Something else I've discovered, Kerpen is on the way from the 'Ring to Spa - that's where Schuey is from, and where the museum is

GP BILLY
10th July 2011, 10:26 PM
I would be up for a wee return to the ring (in something a bit quicker than my countryman:thumbs up:) we stayed at this place,

http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/hotel/index.php

Its about 100 yards for the ring and 6 mile from the start, thing it was about £35 a night for B&B and the rooms hold upto 8 people:thumbs up: There is a pub which sells food 50 yards from Hotel.

Track Ali
10th July 2011, 11:15 PM
I would be up for a wee return to the ring (in something a bit quicker than my countryman:thumbs up:) we stayed at this place,

http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/hotel/index.php

Its about 100 yards for the ring and 6 mile from the start, thing it was about £35 a night for B&B and the rooms hold upto 8 people:thumbs up: There is a pub which sells food 50 yards from Hotel.

I second this recommendation. Eddy (guy that runs it) is a superb guy. Straight forward to deal with and very helpful I've found every time I've been. The hotel is a good standard also. Best bit for me is how comfortable the beds are - every time I get there is after a long drive and I just get into the room and fall onto the beds.

There is an entrance right next to the hotel which lets you onto the track. You can then follow the track round to the main entrance. It's essentially a lap-and-a-half and is priced accordingly.

There are normal twin rooms too.

Stewart
11th July 2011, 03:09 PM
I’d never take my car round (I know Wuss) but I’d seriously consider going either just for the run there or going passenger and sharing the costs with someone just to experience it. Just watching and enjoy the petrol heads going round from the stand would be enough fun.

HT is on end of june all the same.

Duncan Stewart
11th July 2011, 07:54 PM
Sounds great, I would be interested :thumbs up:
I assume it is possible to sort out "track day" type insurance?

The Dogfather
11th July 2011, 10:05 PM
http://nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

markjbb
26th August 2011, 10:52 PM
should do a trip to hockenheim too then it would be hockenheim,nurburgring then spa
:)

Mon the fish
27th August 2011, 07:27 AM
I'm hoping to sit down and plan something this weekend, this month's MotorSport has provided me with some fresh inspiration!

Loose plans at the moment are:
- Nurburgring
- Stuttgart or Munich (BMW/Porsche/Merc museums)
- 150mph blast on the autobahn
- Mountain passes Austria & Italy (Stelvio etc)
- Monaco
- Back up through France passing Reims - always wanted to see the pit buildings)

Looking at about a week I reckon

Stewart
27th August 2011, 09:13 AM
That’s no a cheep run but I imagine would be exceptional!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain passes Austria & Italy (Stelvio etc)

Craig
27th August 2011, 09:37 AM
Sound epic Gordon !!! Wish I had a mini and the cash to do it !! :lol:

Mon the fish
27th August 2011, 01:02 PM
So... how many people still in?

This is dependent on Scotland not qualifying for the Euro's, as I'll be going to that if they do. Doubt they will though!

Track Ali
27th August 2011, 04:36 PM
That’s no a cheep run but I imagine would be exceptional!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain passes Austria & Italy (Stelvio etc)

If you're serious about some Alpine routes then the San Bernadhino Pass is much better. Both were featured on Top Gear but the Stelvio seems to stick in people's heads easier. The Stelvio is still a used route so the surfaces are not always ideal and it can get a bit busy sometimes. It's not as empty as Top Gear portrayed it. It's also pretty big.

The San Bernadhino used to be a route but has since been made redundant by the nearby motorway. The upshot is that the road is almost perfectly surfaced and more importantly empty. It's also quite literally between two motorway junctions so you can hop off the motorway, do the route, hop back on the motorway and repeat if so desired.

Of the two I take the San Bernadhino pass to do again.

As for the Ring trip... I'm in :bigwave:

Mon the fish
27th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Stelvio was the one which I remembered the name, but I've been told it's full of bus tours, with no chance to really get the foot down.

Hopefully get some tunnels on the route as well, tunnel + de-res janspeed = loud tunnel :)

Track Ali
27th August 2011, 05:09 PM
The last time I saw Mini's and a bus up an alpine road it didn't go too well for the Mini's ;)

Forbes
2nd September 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm keen. Need to do this and keep putting it off

Bazthemod
3rd September 2011, 11:57 AM
Would be up for this with team young pup :)

Forbes
3rd September 2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah buddy

mark1984
12th September 2011, 06:50 PM
i cant do 150 mph :argh: cooper d u see.
my boss goes every year and does about 6000 miles he mostly sleeps in his tent as the E.U has magic camp sites but it still costs him about £4000.
i would be less on fuel and would like to keep the accom to tents as much as possible mabe 2 or 3 nights in a hotel.
i think is would cost me around £2000 bearing in mind u need a fresh set of front tires when u go and a set of brake pads.
any one have a rough cost?
any dates in mind?

Mon the fish
13th September 2011, 08:11 AM
I need to check the dates when the 'Ring is booked for races etc, but probably early/mid June