PDA

View Full Version : Driving in France

Sheilz
2nd July 2011, 01:17 PM
Dougall is going to Carcasonnes in South of France for his hols this year. Neither of the two of us (me and Dougall) have driven there before so really a bit of an 'eek'. Have been looking at the various routes with Tom Tom indicating one which is under 20 hours of driving using toll roads and another just over 24 hours avoiding them. Anyone got any suggestions advice from personal experiences about what to avoid other than Paris? To make it just a bit more testing the standard of my French is roughly on a par with five year old on basic stuff = must not get lost! Return trip should be fine since Munro will be with us but not on outward journey.

Any things to defo Do or Not Do (other than bomb down the wrong side of the road!)

Maybe should've said journey isnt being done in one day. Got accomm arranged in Folkstone so can leave on first shuttle and return on the last one on return trip.

Thanks

Stewart
2nd July 2011, 01:26 PM
Every country has its set rules; I looked into last year as I still want to do my WWII Beaches and sites in France. Sounds a nice trip I'm not Jealous at all.....:smilewinkgrin:

Its was just a rough idea there is a AA site that gives you all the info.

For the car...

Euro-style number plates (or GB sticker)

Headlamp Converters or get the Xenons adjusted (can only been done on later models!)

Warning Triangle

Spare Bulb Kit

Safety Jacket hi viz

Fire Extingisher

First Aid Kit

Spare set of car keys

Detailed road maps ( a must even if you have Sat Nav)

Tow rope and Petrol Can can aslo be a good idea.

For yourself...

Valid passport

Valid driving licence for both drivers

Log book

Insurance certificate

MOT certificate

Breakdown recovery insurance

EHIC (replacement for the E111)

Personal travel insurance

Hotel booking confirmations for your trip down (and the hotel phone number!!)

Sheilz
2nd July 2011, 04:48 PM
Ha ha Stewart, thank you. You just saved me making yet another list.

Any info on the routes and which ones to avoid if any? Any routes that may prove particularly hazardous to UK drivers. I read on one site that France has the record for tailbacks. Longest one 107 miles. Puts the Bridge of Dee into perspective.

I've got a Scottish flag on Dougall's plates. Are Euro plates the same but with the Euro sign on them? I would have thought Dougall had enough flags on him to make his country of origin obvious. Would I still have to put on a UK one or would I get off with a Saltire or Scot/Alba?

Stewart
2nd July 2011, 09:10 PM
I started looking into it when there was a threat of that Mini United in France and thought well if I push the boat out and go I’ll come back via the June 6th Landing beaches I’ve always wanted to visit.

I’ve never driven abroad apart from in the Florida It’s an adventure you’ll love it.

As far as the plates go, I’m sure as long as you have the UK EU badge on a sticker you’ll be ok but I’d take more notice off someone who as actually done it.

GB sticker
Compulsory, and failure to comply could result in an on-the-spot fine.
Euro-plates - number plates that include the GB euro-symbol - have been legal since March 2001 and make display of a conventional sticker unnecessary within the EU.

In some countries outside the EU a conventional sticker is required even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one.

AA Guide! (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/general_advice.html)

Scottie
2nd July 2011, 09:56 PM
We have towed through France many times expensive at tolls but our van was on the back had the Sco plates on but always stuck a gb sticker on we have stayed south of France at antibes area very nice travelled the coast from Italy if you want to do road trip I would suggest take this route amazing anything you want to know ask away as we have
Driven in Europe many many times
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Stewart
2nd July 2011, 11:15 PM
just took a look at Carcasonnest - very nice, right up my street with Castles etc....

Sheilz
3rd July 2011, 12:51 AM
I did an auto route check for the trip as well as using tomtom. It came up with tolls costing over £60 which is quite a lot really though if it cuts four hours off our journey that means we'd be saving on petrol so could work out evens. Not sure if I want to do the toll roads though since we'll miss out on the lovely countryside. Havent been in France since I was eighteen and then we were hitchhiking so not giving a damn about the roads! I think I've worked it out in my head how to approach roundabouts though might not be so easy in practice. We're planning on doing a short trip to the north of Spain (to please me) and Italy (to please Munro) as well. Catriona has been bouncing up and down as she wants us to visit Cannes and all the famous celeb spotting places. Antibes is in that region as well isn't it? Is it not a bt like St Tropez?
I'll get a wee stick on badge for Dougall since there's no point whatsoever in wasting spending money on fines! LOL One thing for sure by the time we get back Dougall's warranty will be well and truly finished.

Sheilz
3rd July 2011, 01:02 AM
Strangely enough Stewart our original plans had been to do the Auschwitz trip, the Normandy Beaches and the War Graves. We've left that off for another year, possibly two. While Catriona is old enough to appreciate the significance she's young enough to get freaked out by the whole thing. I have a first hand written account of the Normandy beach landings from my dad. He wrote it up for me while I was studying at Uni. He was on the minesweepers. Said it was creepy and quite terrifying because they knew the Germans were there but had no choice but to go into clear the sea for the operation to begin. He told me it was a truly awful sight of bloated bodies of young men floating about to such an extent the water turned red. It puts a chill down my spine just thinking about. Hopefully one day you will get around to fulfilling your ambition.

Gismo
3rd July 2011, 04:33 AM
Sheilz, folks have advised the most important bit, GB sticker is a must.
I've ridden through France several times on a motorbike and must admit, sticking to the toll roads is the fastest way to the south, costly perhaps, but time saving.
You might not get to see much, but, the driver wouldn't be able to take in the scenery anyway, :Whistle:
You can always come off the toll road if you see something you want to go look at.

Since you are going down south an absolute must is the Gorge Du Tarn (spelling) resulting in a trip over the Mialu Viaduc, again, an absolute must do. It's a 60km drive through stunning scenery and you'll stop a lot for those must have pictures.
There is offsite parking so you can actually walk up and see the bridge in all it's glory, well worth the trek, they also serve food there.

I'll see if i can find my pictures from the last time i was there with my wife and Zimbo............

Gismo
3rd July 2011, 05:08 AM
Here ya go Sheilz, some scenery from the Gorge Du tarn:-

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/alan_julz.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/alan_zimbo.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/bridge.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/gorge_du_tarn_1.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/gorge_du_tarn_2.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/gorge_du_tarn_3.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/zimbo_tarn.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/alan_julz_millau.jpg

http://www.taysidebikers.co.uk/site_pictures/member_pictures/gismo/motogp_june_2009/forum_pictures/millau_services.jpg

Sheilz
3rd July 2011, 10:13 AM
Will defo add this to he itinary Cheers

zimbo
3rd July 2011, 04:20 PM
Yup Milau Viaduc is a must, it is amazing :yes nod: as is the Gorge DuTarn. That trip was the BEST ROAD trip of my life and the best holiday EVER!!!!

Ahhhhh the memories :drool:

euan
4th July 2011, 12:40 PM
ARG! wrote heaps and hit the wrong button and lost it all.

Summary...

We drove down as far as Millau over a few days, stopping where we liked, and then came back up on the eastern side of France. We booked two hotels for the trip (a place in Wissant near Calais and Hotel Diderot in Chinon - it was very good). Other than that we stopped in places that were on rivers (Dordoyne etc). We drove on a combination of tolls and non-toll, the scenery was better on the non-toll but you could make good progress on the tolls.

We did it in the Mini when the S was not long out, and as my car was quite noticeable, we got loads of attention. We saw two minis the whole time we were there (and we parked next to both of them) but that will no doubt be different now. Difficulties with the car - if you are buying wine, you'll end up with bags inside the car. We bought a lot of wine and then discovered this problem, so when we stopped in villages we were a bit particular where we parked.

Other than that, it was a superb holiday and the Mini made it even more special!

Sheilz
19th July 2011, 11:36 PM
A newer fuel, available since 2009, is "SP95-E10". It is generally equivalent to Sans plomb 95'; almost all cars from 2000 onwards accept it. It includes 10% ethanol and is slightly cheaper than regular SP95.

Lifted this from wikitravel. Does anyone know if this kind of fuel would be okay in Dougall? While cheaper fuel sounds attractive don't want to mess up the engine with the wrong stuff. Cheers!

SimonS
20th July 2011, 10:15 AM
Check the owners manual. I think that there is a statement in there that E10 is ok.

One point to note withe the Hi vis jacket. It must be in the car, not in the boot, so you can put it on before you get out of the car. Others have been fined for this. ALso I think that you must have one for each occupant.

euan
20th July 2011, 10:34 AM
Check the owners manual. I think that there is a statement in there that E10 is ok.

One point to note withe the Hi vis jacket. It must be in the car, not in the boot, so you can put it on before you get out of the car. Others have been fined for this. ALso I think that you must have one for each occupant.

Only need one and it does need to be inside the car.

Some advice from the AA is here, I used the old version of this when i traveled:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/france-monaco.pdf

As for the fuel, if in doubt I'd not be using it. I'd ring MINI in the UK first.

Mini Digger
2nd August 2011, 06:12 PM
Appreciate the last post was about two weeks ago but we did 14 countries in 4 weeks in WUF. Great trip, many memories. Just watch out for toll roads. Italy was my favourite place for driving - they are nuts! Slovenia had the best main roads but thats because they are virtually all new.

Want to do Norway, Sweden and Finland next time round :D

Sheilz
9th August 2011, 11:15 PM
Dougall's home and managed the French and Spanish roads nae bother. Found Paris and Barcelona a wee bit hairy but tomtom helped keep him in the right direction. Found the roads in France particularly good with just the very narrow roads in the southern villages a bit rough round the edges. We clocked up about 4,500 miles which was fine for his first trip abroad. Not sure how many baths he's going to need to get all the grime off his paintwork!