PDA

View Full Version : R53 - Limp mode

Colin
22nd June 2011, 10:33 AM
Well was travelling back from Edinburgh on Sunday night when my car decided to go in the huff. Dashboard lit up like a christmas tree and straight into limp mode :frown:

Pulled over "Rebooted" (turned off then back on) still running like it was on 3 cylinders, but not in limp mode any more.

Managed to drive the last 20miles home at 45ish MPH.

Took it up to a local auto electrician that I have used before, and the guy pulled out the fault codes. Seems it is the MAF sensor that is causing the problem. The R53 has two of them, one pre supercharger and one post supercharger. The post one being a combined temperature and pressure.
It was throwing up fault codes for both, but looking at the live readings coming from the sensors it looked as though the first MAF sensor was out of spec.

So a new sensor has been ordered (£40 +VAT) and should be fitted today.

Hopefully that should fix it?

rabhrab
22nd June 2011, 11:24 AM
Took it up to a local auto electrician that I have used before, ........

Hi Colin, sorry to hear that the car is misbehaving, hope you have got to the bottom of it? Could you tell me the name of the auto electrician you use, as my car is now out of warran.ty and it's always good to have a recommendation should I need their services? Thanks

Colin
22nd June 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Colin, sorry to hear that the car is misbehaving, hope you have got to the bottom of it? Could you tell me the name of the auto electrician you use, as my car is now out of warran.ty and it's always good to have a recommendation should I need their services? Thanks

Stirling Auto Services Ltd
9 Borrowmeadow Road
Springkerse Industrial Estate
Stirling
Stirlingshire
FK7 7UW
Tel:01786 450888

Mon the fish
22nd June 2011, 05:39 PM
MAP sensor is a common fault, easy enough to fix

Colin
23rd June 2011, 12:43 AM
All fixed now and back on the road :D

Both sensors were replaced and also the pins on the throttle body connector were replaced.

Interestingly this all came in the one pack, with a "special" order number. I'm guessing they've had problems with these parts. The new sensors are physically different from the old ones. So these are updated modified parts.

rabhrab
23rd June 2011, 10:57 AM
Stirling Auto Services Ltd
9 Borrowmeadow Road
Springkerse Industrial Estate
Stirling
Stirlingshire
FK7 7UW
Tel:01786 450888

Thanks, I know of these and used them (many) years ago when a previous car developed an immobiliser fault.
Pleased you're all sorted again.

Craig
23rd June 2011, 11:50 AM
Good news it was a fairly cheap fix ;)

stoney
23rd June 2011, 06:23 PM
glad it all fixed and not to expensive

Gismo
24th June 2011, 04:29 AM
Excellent, quick and inexpensive fix :thumbs up: