PDA

View Full Version : audi A1

KenL
21st June 2011, 06:00 AM
Anyone any thoughts on this car? Anyone had a test drive? I do like the look of it myself.

The Dogfather
21st June 2011, 06:34 AM
As for 95% of all Audis its pretty dull.

stoney
21st June 2011, 08:18 AM
Don't know but if u want one go to stirling and see my big sis lol

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

Penny Louise
21st June 2011, 09:16 AM
My friend at work just got one last week, and to be honest... I'm not sure I like it?! Not keen on the shape of the back end...

GCA3N
21st June 2011, 09:36 AM
if u want one go to stirling and see my big sis lol

Nice one :thumbs up: ;)

ianking
21st June 2011, 10:51 AM
I like the look of it, particularly in S-Line spec.

Yeah Audi may be a little grey and dull compared to the Mini but you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be built far better than any Mini.

Craig
21st June 2011, 11:44 AM
I like the look of it, particularly in S-Line spec.

Yeah Audi may be a little grey and dull compared to the Mini but you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be built far better than any Mini.

Ian, Fiats are built better than Minis !!! I've had my punto for 11 months and not a squeak rattle or issue from it.... It's been flawless and I can't say that about ANY of the 6 minis I had :frown:

Its a sad day when fiat build better cars than mini :idunno:

GCA3N
21st June 2011, 12:06 PM
Ian, Fiats are built better than Minis !!! I've had my punto for 11 months and not a squeak rattle or issue from it.... It's been flawless and I can't say that about ANY of the 6 minis I had :frown:

Its a sad day when fiat build better cars than mini :idunno:

doesn't look half as good.;)

euan
21st June 2011, 12:38 PM
I've had a lift in one when my A4 was in getting a service.

It felt very "Mini" inside, but also very "Audi" - so upmarket and dull. Some nice features, but it's just so very pricey! I've seen some for 30K for a 1.4. It was very quiet and refined inside, felt expensive to be in.

I'm also not entirely sold on the styling though, particularly at the back.

KenL
21st June 2011, 05:32 PM
Base prices do not seem worse than MINIs amd you get more standard kit. 1.4 sport model, direct competitor with cooper has lots of things that are extras on MINI. 16" alloys, cruise, fog lights etc. Also, diesel is only 600 more than petrol, not 1300 that MINI charge.

euan
21st June 2011, 06:18 PM
Base prices do not seem worse than MINIs amd you get more standard kit. 1.4 sport model, direct competitor with cooper has lots of things that are extras on MINI. 16" alloys, cruise, fog lights etc. Also, diesel is only 600 more than petrol, not 1300 that MINI charge.

Not disagreeing with any of that.

As an aside, I saw a bloke in black one tonight and my first thought was "girlfriends car". Round here most are driven by young female drivers, so was quite unusual!

N16SHP
22nd June 2011, 01:40 PM
I think they look ok from the outside as Ian said in Sport-Guise, but very boring and Audi inside. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I think they've missed a trick here. It was a chance to be a little different and try and branch out but they kept it conservative. I certainly wont be buying one, but I am in the market for a bigger car at the moment, and an S-line A3 is one of the cars on the raidar, but the A1 is too small, and too femanine as Euan said.

euan
22nd June 2011, 03:44 PM
I think they look ok from the outside as Ian said in Sport-Guise, but very boring and Audi inside. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I think they've missed a trick here. It was a chance to be a little different and try and branch out but they kept it conservative. I certainly wont be buying one, but I am in the market for a bigger car at the moment, and an S-line A3 is one of the cars on the raidar, but the A1 is too small, and too femanine as Euan said.

I'd go so far as call them "girly" ;-)

zimbo
23rd June 2011, 09:06 AM
The A1 is growing on me, seen quite a few recently while out about doing my job, but ive not looked at prices etc etc yet, but I do know that prices for minis nowadays are getting rediculous and I will definately be interested in going for a road test at least in an A1 just to see how it is when it comes time to maybe change cars. After all when your going to be spending what is an extreme amount of money for a car which is similar to what people pay now for minis too, you dont expect to have rattles or creakes or any issues with it, and I think Audi wont have any of those issues, coz as has been said already audi build reliable (boring) high class vehicles. So with Audi you get what you pay for, where as with mini these days you just dont, it's a sad day when you have to say that about mini.

All this is just IMHO :idunno:

As for the claim that it's "Girly" or it's a girls car, the exact same thing was said of the mini when it first came out in 2001, and it hasn't stopped any of us getting them, I DON'T CARE what other people think, I love my car and thats that :yes nod:

Will know better once and for all once I've been for a run in an A1 :thumbs up:

euan
23rd June 2011, 02:12 PM
The A1 is growing on me, seen quite a few recently while out about doing my job, but ive not looked at prices etc etc yet, but I do know that prices for minis nowadays are getting rediculous and I will definately be interested in going for a road test at least in an A1 just to see how it is when it comes time to maybe change cars. After all when your going to be spending what is an extreme amount of money for a car which is similar to what people pay now for minis too, you dont expect to have rattles or creakes or any issues with it, and I think Audi wont have any of those issues, coz as has been said already audi build reliable (boring) high class vehicles. So with Audi you get what you pay for, where as with mini these days you just dont, it's a sad day when you have to say that about mini.

All this is just IMHO :idunno:

As for the claim that it's "Girly" or it's a girls car, the exact same thing was said of the mini when it first came out in 2001, and it hasn't stopped any of us getting them, I DON'T CARE what other people think, I love my car and thats that :yes nod:

Will know better once and for all once I've been for a run in an A1 :thumbs up:

I've seen two pink A1s so far, it's not helping the image.

For the money, I'd rather get an Alfa Mito but again I don't know what the build is like, I've heard it's a lot better.

EcosseGP
23rd June 2011, 02:28 PM
Zimbo can I just say I wouldn't call any one car or company reliable I've got mates with Audis that still suffer the same reliability issues & rattles as we have with our MINIs just some folk ate luckier than others. My mates A3 has been back 4 times in under 10 months for problems he's glad it's a company car or he'd have binned it months ago.. You're right in one thing ..
Don't listen to what others think or say if you like a car & want one you get it .. Would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing ..
Good luck on your quest for a new car & remember the good times that you had with your MINI ..

zimbo
23rd June 2011, 10:05 PM
Zimbo can I just say I wouldn't call any one car or company reliable I've got mates with Audis that still suffer the same reliability issues & rattles as we have with our MINIs just some folk ate luckier than others. My mates A3 has been back 4 times in under 10 months for problems he's glad it's a company car or he'd have binned it months ago.. You're right in one thing ..
Don't listen to what others think or say if you like a car & want one you get it .. Would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing ..
Good luck on your quest for a new car & remember the good times that you had with your MINI ..

:lol: my goal is to get a GP one day :yes nod:

EcosseGP
23rd June 2011, 10:10 PM
Mate nows the time to get one there's a couple as cheap as chips right now .. You probably couldn't lose money on them if you look after it ..

ianking
28th June 2011, 08:16 AM
Went to have a look at the A1 yesterday. Very nice car indeed. So much so that I now fancy one. Sarah wanted to order one there and then but there are other cars I want to see first.
The build quality is so much better than the Mini.
Its not a cheap car though after you start to add on some essentials such as nice alloys, bluetooth and ipod control and met paint.

euan
28th June 2011, 09:19 AM
Went to have a look at the A1 yesterday. Very nice car indeed. So much so that I now fancy one. Sarah wanted to order one there and then but there are other cars I want to see first.
The build quality is so much better than the Mini.
Its not a cheap car though after you start to add on some essentials such as nice alloys, bluetooth and ipod control and met paint.

How do they price up against something like a Golf? I know the A1 isn't cheap but I'd be interested as a comparison as I was shocked when I priced up a Golf last year looking for replacements for my wifes car.

ianking
28th June 2011, 09:26 AM
We fancy a Golf as well. 3dr GTi in white with 18 inch monza alloys. Mmmmm nice.
golf aint cheap either. 10 month old golf offers a good saving over new and is then about the same as a new A1.

gauldrymini
28th June 2011, 10:02 AM
We fancy a Golf as well. 3dr GTi in white with 18 inch monza alloys. Mmmmm nice.

...Good Shout Ian...new GTI is nice. The VW dealer in Dundee had a Yellow 5 Dr car with Matt Black Monzas. Now if it had been 3 Dr...:confused:

would you go for the 185 bhp A1 if you were thinking about one?

Andrew

ianking
28th June 2011, 11:44 AM
Wanted the 185 but it only comes in auto. I want a manual. Thinking about the 1.4tfsi 122bhp but then get a map for it.

Will go see the Golfs properly as well before I decide.

euan
28th June 2011, 11:58 AM
golf aint cheap either. 10 month old golf offers a good saving over new and is then about the same as a new A1.

That was we found, trying to get a decent spec golf without spending a fortune wasn't happening. Or at least, we could get one but it had sky high miles on it.

I saw a new 3 door GTi yesterday in the village, looked great (though it was red which seemed a bit wrong on a Golf, not sure why).

ianking
28th June 2011, 12:13 PM
Misano Red A1 with 18s on it looks the business. Golf in white with 18s also looks the business.

ianking
28th June 2011, 07:24 PM
Went back into the Audi garage today to put a deposit on the A1 that they had in stock in the spec that I ilke and its been sold. If I want to wait on the same spec being built looks like end of Sep for 1st Oct delivery. Maybe its an omen that Im not meant to buy one. Sarah really wants one though. Need to make my mind up fast as I think Ive sold my car.

Sarah also fancies a clubman but Im just not sure. I still like the Golf and the 1 series.

euan
28th June 2011, 07:42 PM
New 1 series is out later this year, but I presume you knew that?

Bit of an arse about the A1 though, nothing worse than making a decision and missing out like that.

GP BILLY
28th June 2011, 07:54 PM
Get a clubby:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ianking
28th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah new 1 series comes in September but to be fair from the pics Im not keen on the shape. I would rather haggle a good deal on the E87 shape.

stoney
28th June 2011, 11:07 PM
Get a cubbie jcw one ;)

KenL
29th June 2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the update on the A1. How does the A1 look in white? I will go and see it at some point before deciding on my next car (next year). MINI is still my most likely choice though.

ianking
29th June 2011, 08:21 AM
Amalfi white is kind of like Pepper white and not that great to be honest. They have just realeased glacier white which is a metallic white but Ive yet to see one. Cant seem to find a good pic on the net either.

I am fancying either red or white. Both are £510 options though.

KenL
29th June 2011, 10:10 AM
Yes, some options are a rip off.

N16SHP
29th June 2011, 12:55 PM
Amalfi white is kind of like Pepper white and not that great to be honest. They have just realeased glacier white which is a metallic white but Ive yet to see one. Cant seem to find a good pic on the net either.

I am fancying either red or white. Both are £510 options though.

I was over at the Audi garage for a test drive in an S3 yesterday, and saw an A1 in red with the silver side/roof thing it has going on. Gives the car a much nicer look imo, but its perhaps because I'm so used to seeing two-tone Mini's most of the time. (S3 was amazing btw, not tempted??)

ianking
29th June 2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah Im fancying the silver pillars if I go for an A1.

S3 is amazing and I coiuld get one but it would be the same age as the car ive got the now so seems a bit pointless.

Im going to nip to the mini garage before I make up my mind incase there are any nice nearly new JCWs on the network register.

KenL
29th June 2011, 08:20 PM
The pillars are another very expensive option at over 300 quid!

Scottie
29th June 2011, 09:23 PM
I do not like the silver pillars saw a red A1 today with this option on another note it is a 16 to 18 week wait on a freelander at the moment and the color choice is limited because the pigment they use in some of the colors they get from Japan which is delayed
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

ianking
29th June 2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah the guy at Audi said the same thing R.E the paint.

Im getting a test drive tomorrow so that will determine if I want one.

ianking
30th June 2011, 06:37 PM
Just back from a test drive of a 1.4 Tfsi manual and yeah it is a great wee car. Alot punchier and quicker than I thought and handled not bad. The guy gave me it away myself and although it was rush hour I managed to find a couple good roads in the 30 mins I had it for.

If I was currently in a One or Cooper or maybe even an S then I would really really like this car but as I am in a factory JCW it just doesnt quite hit the mark in terms of performance and brakes and exhaust noise.
Build quality however is soooo sooooo much better than that of the Mini.

I didnt go mad with the spec of the Audi but it still came in at more than I bought my 8 month old JCW for which does have a good spec so the A1 aint a cheap car.

Mini Ecosse
30th June 2011, 09:21 PM
note it is a 16 to 18 week wait on a freelander at the moment

:off topic: 9 months wait for X3!!!!

ianking
1st July 2011, 08:11 AM
3 month wait for A1

euan
1st July 2011, 11:06 AM
I do not like the silver pillars saw a red A1 today with this option on another note it is a 16 to 18 week wait on a freelander at the moment and the color choice is limited because the pigment they use in some of the colors they get from Japan which is delayed

The reason for that delay is because they're building a stock of Evoque at the same plant ;-) Currently working on a project for that very same company so have been up on most of the manufacturing sites recently.