PDA

View Full Version : Stone Chips

..S-J..
20th June 2011, 06:00 PM
Can anyone give advice on using the touch up stick on stone chips or recommend someone in the Aberdeen area?

I dont want to make a mess of it

Thanks

GCA3N
20th June 2011, 06:02 PM
In my experience the touch up sticks looks worse than the chip, well certainly with some colours. As far as repairers go sorry.

Bazthemod
20th June 2011, 06:12 PM
I find kits like Chipex (http://www.chipex.co.uk/) work so much better than touch-up kits.

You get a fine brush to blob the paint in the chip and then u rub over the blob with a solution until it is level and blended.

I used one of these kits last year and was really pleased with the results.

gauldrymini
20th June 2011, 09:55 PM
If you use a very small amount of paint on the tip of a cocktail stick instead of the touch up brush.
Use a steady hand (easier said than done).
Touch the centre of the stone-chip mark with the tip of the cocktail stick, and let the paint fill the stone-chip mark.
It will never be perfect though...

(less is more is the key for the paint otherwise it blobs...)

Stewart
21st June 2011, 10:23 AM
I'm stil using that Kit that Alan got from the US for a good few of us. Cant for the life remember its name but really easy to use and blends the chips away.

Craig
21st June 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm stil using that Kit that Alan got from the US for a good few of us. Cant for the life remember its name but really easy to use and blends the chips away.

Dr Color Chip it is.... ;)

euan
21st June 2011, 12:42 PM
I find kits like Chipex (http://www.chipex.co.uk/) work so much better than touch-up kits.

You get a fine brush to blob the paint in the chip and then u rub over the blob with a solution until it is level and blended.

I used one of these kits last year and was really pleased with the results.

I've been intrigued by this. My car has bad road rash on the front after winter so rather than a complete respray I might try this instead. I suspect it'll take hours to do all the front though!

EcosseGP
21st June 2011, 03:05 PM
Respray all the way lads by the time you order the kit, spend time trying to get every or most of the chips touched up, realise that it looks just as bad or in some light even worse you'd be quicker trying to get a respray at a reasonable price plus you'll be happier when you look at it every day .. Never going to stop it getting chipped unfortunately but IMO and through previous experience saves the hassle later on & the rust spots appearing ..

euan
21st June 2011, 03:59 PM
Respray all the way lads by the time you order the kit, spend time trying to get every or most of the chips touched up, realise that it looks just as bad or in some light even worse you'd be quicker trying to get a respray at a reasonable price plus you'll be happier when you look at it every day .. Never going to stop it getting chipped unfortunately but IMO and through previous experience saves the hassle later on & the rust spots appearing ..

Agree, but the kit is £50 and they want £700 to respray the front end of my car!

..S-J..
21st June 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for advice everyone :thumbs up:

EcosseGP
21st June 2011, 05:41 PM
Euan I agree at that price I'd be swayed away from a respray too .. Where do you stay I've a couple of contacts that may be able to help depending on where you live .. One thing I know is that they'll not charge you £700 to repaint front bumper n bonnet ..

GCA3N
21st June 2011, 06:05 PM
Hit a deer that should sort your chips out ;)

euan
21st June 2011, 06:16 PM
Euan I agree at that price I'd be swayed away from a respray too .. Where do you stay I've a couple of contacts that may be able to help depending on where you live .. One thing I know is that they'll not charge you £700 to repaint front bumper n bonnet ..

I'm down south now, near Warwick - I used to live in Edinburgh when I had my mini so still hang about on here :-)

EcosseGP
21st June 2011, 08:52 PM
Ah right no use then recommending body shop facilities up here .. Could always go down Grieg's route lol

Doug_m
21st June 2011, 10:55 PM
Have you tried non city bodyshops? Cant see ones in my area charging that price and thats only 40miles north of you.

Smaller family run buisnesses etc would be a better shout

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2011, 11:24 PM
I got a Dr Colorchip kit from Alan when he was in the states. Full intention of using it on the blue MINI.

Got it all out to have a look at it and the bottles warn you the contents are a carcinogenic. Sorry. Touch up pen or re-spray for me. Will never open the dr Colorchip stuff. Life's too short as it is.

A.

Big Gordy
21st June 2011, 11:40 PM
I'm doomed then :frown: I've got three of them:thud:

EcosseGP
21st June 2011, 11:49 PM
Smaller family run buisnesses etc would be a better shout

I'm with Doug_m on that the smaller body shops are always the best. Better job as they pride themselves on their reputation .. A reasonable price for bonnet & bumper would be around £300-£400 all the works in the prep not the painting .. Good luck on your search