PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Grand Prix

zimbo
13th June 2011, 08:59 AM
Well what can you say about this race, and yes I sat through the whole thing the WHOLE THING from start to finish and what a race that last session was :clap: Button did an amazing job :thumbs up:

Think Vettel felt the pressure there, and proved he is human after all.

stoney
13th June 2011, 09:21 AM
snap i sat thro it all as well :lol:

but yes what a fantastic race one it got going !!! some drive from button for last to first in 1/2 distance of a race just shows what a driver he is !!!!

glad to see some one elce but Vettel win a race as well :thumbs up:

euan
13th June 2011, 10:20 AM
Agreed, brilliant race and superb drive by JB.

I loved Vettels face at the end though, he cracked under pressure and JB took full advantage. Roll on the next race (although I think it's Valencia next, which is just the worst circuit and race known to man).

Gismo
13th June 2011, 10:31 AM
Hmm, who do we blame for Hamilton's early exit.
I was watching the race until it was stopped, since i am 2 hours ahead of the UK i went to sleep, up at 5am every morning :sad:
Good to see the finger pointer getting beat and on the last lap too, even better

Delboy
13th June 2011, 10:40 AM
I watched the whole programme from 5pm until after 10pm! And I'm so glad I did - it was a truly epic race and I was out of my chair cheering at the TV when Button took the lead in the last lap!

I still can hardly comprehend that he was last at one point, had 5 pit stops, a drive-through penalty, two collisions and yet still won the race! Fantastic!

I've always been a fan of Jenson, I think he is superb, and yesterday's win must be his greatest ever! :thumbs up:

(Great drive by Schumy too btw ;) )

GCA3N
13th June 2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome race like you Del I watched the lot. I was an hour behind (on Sky +) but fast forwarded it when It stopped. What a result shame shumacher did not get a podium though.

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 12:31 PM
Great race, great drive from JB and both Alonso and Vettel having problems, almost perfect.

Hamilton needs to reign in his 'passion' but I don't think either driver was culpable for his exit.

Last to first, unbelievable drive and if Hamilton had been in the race it could have been a 1 2 for McLaren

GCA3N
13th June 2011, 12:59 PM
Great race, great drive from JB and both Alonso and Vettel having problems, almost perfect.

Hamilton needs to reign in his 'passion' but I don't think either driver was culpable for his exit.

Last to first, unbelievable drive and if Hamilton had been in the race it could have been a 1 2 for McLaren

Agreed Paul, Hamilton always does well in the wet.

euan
13th June 2011, 01:35 PM
I think the issue with Hamilton is that he wants it too much at the moment and is feeling the pressure. He's overdriving the car and trying to show that he is the top dog in F1 and not this upstart finger pointer.

He just needs to get his head down, keep calm and let it come to him. He was trying to get to the lead before he needed to yesterday, as Button proved. Patience is everything at the moment in F1, being on the right tyre at the correct time really makes such a difference.

Parkibob
13th June 2011, 05:38 PM
to echo everyone else here that was a superb race, just what the F1 season needed. On another note has anyone else seen the news today suggesting Hamilton is talking to Red Bull? maybe nothing in it but there is no smoke without fire, that would be an interesting move given that hamilton has grown up with McLaren :Whistle::motoring:

minimad
13th June 2011, 07:21 PM
lewis hamilton must be the most overrated driver in f1 hes going to cause a major crash if he continues to be so reckless,i mean first weber then even his own teammate.i can understand mclaren wanting to let him go!!if hes talking to red bull that can only mean one thing in my book VETTEL in a ferrari were he will further his career.great race for button too well done that man!!

minimad
13th June 2011, 07:24 PM

Last to first, unbelievable drive and if Hamilton had been in the race it could have been a 1 2 for McLarenif the race wasnt stopped so many times vettel would have won that race by a clear mile,alonso second

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 07:30 PM
Ha Ha Ha, if the race hadn't been stopped so many times there would have been carnage.

Loved the pictures of Alonso's car beached on the kerb going nowhere, reminds me of the time he crashed out in Spa in the wet, here's a picture of that mistake for you

http://www.ferrarif1world.com/images/review/2010_spa.jpg

minimad
13th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Ha Ha Ha, if the race hadn't been stopped so many times there would have been carnage.

Loved the pictures of Alonso's car beached on the kerb going nowhere, reminds me of the time he crashed out in Spa in wet, here's a picture of that mistake for you

http://www.ferrarif1world.com/images/review/2010_spa.jpgthats a great picture have you not got one of hamiltons car?oh thats right what race was it again theres been that many lol!

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 07:55 PM
thats a great picture have you not got one of hamiltons car?oh thats right what race was it again theres been that many lol!

I've got one of Button's car crossing the line in 1st place, will that do?

http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/275793/Article/images/12760676/2942959.png

minimad
13th June 2011, 08:34 PM
I've got one of Button's car crossing the line in 1st place, will that do?

http://i.thelocalpeople.co.uk/275793/Article/images/12760676/2942959.png yet another great photobut its the ones of hamilton i want to see!

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 08:51 PM
How about this one.....

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2776&d=1307994693

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 09:17 PM
Or one of these perhaps?

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2778&d=1307996225

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2777&d=1307996200

minimad
13th June 2011, 09:27 PM
Or one of these perhaps?

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2778&d=1307996225

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2777&d=1307996200not got any of hamilton about an hour BEFORE that one of alonso

The Dogfather
13th June 2011, 09:44 PM
Nah, none at all. ;)

Taking those Ferrari glasses that you have on off for a moment, you have to admit that going from 21st to 1st is pretty amazing?

john
14th June 2011, 09:23 AM
Canadian GP went like this for me................

Boarded a plane so could not watch the race live, arrived at Dubai to connect with UK flight only to spot a newspaper saying Buttons finest hour.

Bit of a blow as I was recording the race at home with sky+

By the time I get from Glasgow airport to my house I now know the three on the podium :moonie:

Never mind I heard it was a good race so lets go watch it.

SC from start so fast forward, SC again so fast forward, race stopped so fast forward, race re start under SC so fast forward, BBC1 swops to BBC2 end of recording :ragin::ragin::ragin:

Craig
14th June 2011, 09:52 AM
You can get it on BBC iplayer John ;)

EcosseGP
14th June 2011, 11:51 AM
End of race isn't on iplayer either it finishes when the channel swaps from BBC1 to BBC2 at the restart .. Typical .. They might update it later on ..

john
14th June 2011, 01:36 PM
Just watched it on iplayer via my PS3, superb!!!!!!

EcosseGP
14th June 2011, 01:41 PM
They must have updated it cheers I'll watch it later on ..

Fairy
17th June 2011, 12:39 PM
lewis hamilton must be the most overrated driver in f1 hes going to cause a major crash if he continues to be so reckless,i mean first weber then even his own teammate.i can understand mclaren wanting to let him go!!

Completely disagree...

Camera shot from end of pit straight cleary shows Button looking left into his mirrors spotting Hamilton yet he still drives left and puts him against the wall - then he asks on his radio 'whats he doing' - what are u doing more like you numpty!!!
He did well coming back from 21st position i'll give him that but its not like he overtook 20 cars to do so....half of them were in their pit getting slicks on so he leap-frogged them as usual rather than overtake
Also, he only got 1st position by default - it was Seb's mistake not Buttons overtaking ability - Cant stand Button never been a fan and didn't derserve than win

Think the sport is getting waaaaaay to political I mean why were they going to investigate the Hamilton / Webber collision at the start I mean CUMMON....23 cars trying to get round one corner...they are gonna hit obviously....just let them race for god sake!!
Also think the safety car start was a joke....seen it starting in worse conditions than that before

Yeah I agree maybe Lewis has been acting like a bit of a tw*t recently but theres no denying he is a superb racer and so entertaining to watch
He overtakes, he doesn't moan about the weather, he is exciting, enthusiastic and he just gets on with racing, cant take your eyes off him as you just know he'll attempt (not always complete) an exciting manouver instead of banging on about strategy / the right tyres blah blah blah unlike his team mate
His comments in Monaco were bang out of order and there was no need to act the way he did but he is a racer thru and thru

stoney
17th June 2011, 03:50 PM
hamilton is geting to big for his boots IMO he thinks he is GOD and he is not yes he can drive well but needs to pick his overtakes a bit more wisely and be a bit less hot headed

button did deseve the win he drove a fantastic race and got him self in to a place where he could put the preshure on Seb so that he made a mistake i must admit i juped up and claped when he went off line and button passed him

euan
18th June 2011, 09:16 AM
Completely disagree...

Camera shot from end of pit straight cleary shows Button looking left into his mirrors spotting Hamilton yet he still drives left and puts him against the wall - then he asks on his radio 'whats he doing' - what are u doing more like you numpty!!!
He did well coming back from 21st position i'll give him that but its not like he overtook 20 cars to do so....half of them were in their pit getting slicks on so he leap-frogged them as usual rather than overtake
Also, he only got 1st position by default - it was Seb's mistake not Buttons overtaking ability - Cant stand Button never been a fan and didn't derserve than win

You should watch the highlights again if you don't think Button overtook anyone. He pushed for the win when he got himself into the right position, and just went for it. He passed Webber, Schumacher, Vettel, the Williams and Massa at least that I saw.

IN fact, here's the Pirelli pit stops from the race:

Button: WN IN (8) DT (13) WN (19) WN IU (35) IN (37) SSU (51)
Vettel: WN WN (20) WU IN (37) SSU (53) 3
Webber: WN WN (20) WU IN (36) SSU (50) 3
Schumacher: WU IU (18) WU (21) WU IN (34) SSN (52) 4
Petrov: WN WN IN (36) SSU (53) 2
Massa: WN WN (21) WU IN (36) SSU (53) SSU (54) 4
Kobayashi: WN WN IN (36) SSU (53) 2
Alguersuari: WN WN (19) WN IN (35) SSN (51) 3
Barrichello: WN IN (15) WN (19) WU IN (34) SSN (50) 4
Buemi: WU IN (17) WN (20) WN IN (34) SSU (50) 4
Rosberg: WN IU (17) WU (19) WN IN (36) SSN (53) 4
De La Rosa: WN WN IN (35) SSU (52) 2
Liuzzi: WN WN (9) WU IN (35) SSN (52) 3
D’Ambrosio: WN IN (17) WN (23) WN IN (33) DT (36) SSN (52) 5
Glock: WN WN IN (34) SSN (51) 2
Trulli: WN WN (19) WU IN (36) SSN (52) SSU (55) 4
Karthikeyan: WN WN IN (37) SSN (51) 2
Di Resta: WN WN IN (35) IN (43)IN (50) SSN (53) 4
Maldonado: WN IN (17) WN (19) WU IU (35) SSN (51) SSU (61)5 NC
Heidfeld: WN WU IN (35) SSU (52) 2 NC
Sutil: WN IN (16) WN IN (34) DT (45) IN (49) 4 NC
Alonso: WN IN (17) WN (19) WU IN (36) 3 NC
Kovalainen: WN WN (19) WU 1 NC

The first column denotes the tyres the driver started the race on.
S = Soft compound
SS = Super Soft compound
W = Wet tyre
I = Intermediate tyre
N = New compound
U = Used compound
DT = Drive through
NC = Not classified
The last column gives the total amount of pit stops.

Gismo
18th June 2011, 09:19 AM
The last column gives the total amount of pit stops.
Wow, Button had 51 pit stops

Big Gordy
18th June 2011, 11:11 AM

I think they've missed a 5 off the end......but you knew that didn't you :hand::moonie:

euan
20th June 2011, 12:49 PM

I know, he had a hell of a race ;-)

Parkibob
26th June 2011, 07:08 AM
Completely disagree...

Official F1 stats show a total of 14 overtakes by Button on the day so think you may be being a little harsh on him not deserving this victory.
I agree that the collision between Button and Hamilton was a little controversial but the guy in front has the right to take the racing line and hamilton should have realised that he didn't have the track position and backed off, there was always going to be more chances for him, think he's just a bit too impetuous for his own good at the moment.

We need both Hamilton and Button on top form to make the season interesting otherwise it will be a Red Bull procession