PDA

View Full Version : Road Rash - Whats the best way to sort it?

G17RDY
9th June 2011, 06:03 PM
Hello again,

My cooper's got quite a bit of road rash, Bumper and bonnet alike - Don't know if a touch up pen would really do the trick - Are there any products out there that could help me out - Or am i looking at a re-spray as my best option??

Thanks
Gordy

GCA3N
9th June 2011, 08:10 PM
Hit a deer and get a new front end :lol:

EcosseGP
9th June 2011, 08:27 PM
If you can afford it I'd get the front end re-painted it'll look better & save you constantly touching up the chips .. Could always get it painted then get clear vinyl to protect it once it's done give it a bit of protection ..

Craig
9th June 2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah once fixed, defendall I'n Perth would keep it looking great ;)

GCA3N
9th June 2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah once fixed, defendall I'n Perth would keep it looking great ;)

what is it they do craig, is it like a protective film or something?

GCA3N
9th June 2011, 08:34 PM
Actually craig found their website, any idea what this costs.

Alex from NM
9th June 2011, 08:35 PM
I tried a touch up paint from MINI on my dark silver car. It looked rubbish, actually even worse than it did chipped. I would bite the bullet and get it resprayed. The bonnet for me cost £150 and is perfect.

Craig
9th June 2011, 10:52 PM
Actually craig found their website, any idea what this costs.

From the last time I looked it was about £500 for front bumper, bonnet, side skirts rear arches and rear bumper. Well worth it I think if your going to keep it ;)

GCA3N
10th June 2011, 08:07 AM
That's alot Craig, I was thinking from bumper and bonnet.

Big Gordy
10th June 2011, 12:01 PM
Dr.Colorchip :thumbs up::yes nod:

GCA3N
10th June 2011, 08:58 PM
Went to defendal today, what a place loads of morgans wow!!!

anyway £350 for the front bumper and about 12'' of the bonnet, It's a hard call a lot of cash.

G17RDY
10th June 2011, 09:01 PM
WOW, £350 is a load of cash!
I wonder though if they apply a translucent 3M film to the first 12" of bonnet, wouldn't it leave a visible line?

GCA3N
10th June 2011, 09:25 PM
WOW, £350 is a load of cash!
I wonder though if they apply a translucent 3M film to the first 12" of bonnet, wouldn't it leave a visible line?

Spot on, they showed me a morgan aero8 with it and there is a line right across the bonnet. It looks well not great, but what other options do I have, well apart from driving like my granny from now on.

G17RDY
10th June 2011, 11:31 PM
See i don't like the fact that there would be a line, and thinking on it the film wouldn't be bullet proof either, so surely given time stone chips would eventually begin to show as small indentations, chips, marks etc - meaning the film would eventually look slightly rough in places.
continual washing / polishing may also show the 3M film line up more and more given time.

Honestly, you'll never prevent stone chips from happening, accept that and drive as you please, and deal with any that may arise. Car can't be perfect forever unless you want to dry store it!!
Mine has just came to a point now where the front has had a battering for 8 years now, and it's time for doing something about it.
Think i'd rather pay £350 for a respray every 8 years than the same money for 3M film.

Or, what about one of those big giant rubberish car bra's they seem to love in the USA!! There lovely!!!
I'll say one thing, you'd not have to worry about any stone chips with one of those bad boys on!

GCA3N
10th June 2011, 11:37 PM
The thing is the gen 1's don't chip as easy as the Gen 2's. I had my 2002 cooper for 2 years and had about 3 or 4 chips. The 2008 S had loads after 18 months of ownership and my works was the worst by far. I just hate the idea of it getting the same again. Gonna go down the road of a clear vinyl wrap and do it myself.

G17RDY
10th June 2011, 11:38 PM
Saying that though, could still get just the bumper done, cheaper and no line to worry about.

G17RDY
10th June 2011, 11:40 PM
The thing is the gen 1's don't chip as easy as the Gen 2's. I had my 2002 cooper for 2 years and had about 3 or 4 chips. The 2008 S had loads after 18 months of ownership and my works was the worst by far. I just hate the idea of it getting the same again. Gonna go down the road of a clear vinyl wrap and do it myself.

Good point, no experience of the Gen2 paint hardness, clear DIY wrap may be a good option.

Would having some kind of hard wearing clear cote or laquer sprayed on be an option??

GCA3N
10th June 2011, 11:55 PM
Would having some kind of hard wearing clear cote or laquer sprayed on be an option??

I have heard of that but unsure TBH if anyone has tried it etc, need to do some investigation.

GCA3N
11th June 2011, 10:06 AM
Good to know ali cheers mate.

GCA3N
13th June 2011, 06:33 PM
Got an email back today regarding the protection film, for the bumper, front of the bonnet and the mirror caps....£440 :thud:

Going to leave it for a while.:rolleyes:

G17RDY
13th June 2011, 10:56 PM
Sheesh, that's a lot of coin to prevent some stone-chipping!

Might be worth trying to do the bumper yourself after all!

GCA3N
13th June 2011, 11:09 PM
Sheesh, that's a lot of coin to prevent some stone-chipping!

Might be worth trying to do the bumper yourself after all!

Got a quote for the materials only from a graphics company.... £250.

sent from my galaxy S ll

weefossy
22nd July 2011, 11:14 PM
Greig, my thoughts are don't do the wrapping. We had it on the red convertible and it did stop the chips, but it looks crap. Anyone who is "keen" on detailing would hate it. It never gets as shinney as the polished paint and the muck collects in the edging. I took it off the bonnet after about 6 months. Its cheaper to get a respray every 2 years!! I did leave it on the bumper and front skirt because it was a lot less noticeable down there.

Doug_m
23rd July 2011, 07:47 PM
Greig, check on detailinh word, saw wolfs chemicals are bringinh out a tempory wrap. Spray on, leave to dry and peels off after a while if i remember correctly ;)

GCA3N
24th July 2011, 08:13 AM
Greig, check on detailinh word, saw wolfs chemicals are bringinh out a tempory wrap. Spray on, leave to dry and peels off after a while if i remember correctly ;)

cheers mate:thumbs up:

GCA3N
24th July 2011, 08:13 AM
Greig, my thoughts are don't do the wrapping. We had it on the red convertible and it did stop the chips, but it looks crap. Anyone who is "keen" on detailing would hate it. It never gets as shinney as the polished paint and the muck collects in the edging. I took it off the bonnet after about 6 months. Its cheaper to get a respray every 2 years!! I did leave it on the bumper and front skirt because it was a lot less noticeable down there.

Cheers for that :thumbs up: