PDA

View Full Version : Senna, anyone seen it?

N16SHP
4th June 2011, 11:43 PM
...WOW! Went into see it tonight with the old man, and some of the on-board footage is simply stunning. Such a shame what happened to him, a real shame!

stoney
5th June 2011, 09:36 AM
...WOW! Went into see it tonight with the old man, and some of the on-board footage is simply stunning. Such a shame what happened to him, a real shame!

Not yet but defo want to see it !!

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

X30YES
7th June 2011, 01:44 PM
Downloaded it ..ooops can I say that without causing Warner Bros getting upset

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2011, 02:05 PM
First post for a few years and it's to admit criminal activity.:confused:

Gismo
7th June 2011, 02:52 PM
Downloaded it ..ooops can I say that without causing Warner Bros getting upsetWelcome back Angus :thumbs up:
You can mention downloading it if you like, i can't be held responsible for any course of action that may be claimed against you :Whistle:

euan
7th June 2011, 02:56 PM
I can't wait to see it, and want to see it on the big screen first time to get the noise and impact of the film.

Shame it's on such a limited release until later in the month.

X30YES
7th June 2011, 04:35 PM
First post for a few years and it's to admit criminal activity.:confused:

How easy was that then:yes nod:...............I knew you would see it dafty

X30YES
7th June 2011, 04:39 PM
Welcome back Angus :thumbs up:
You can mention downloading it if you like, i can't be held responsible for any course of action that may be claimed against you :Whistle:

:yes nod:.....it did work tho ....like Barcelona fans were singing ...Its so *******easy

Crombers
7th June 2011, 05:58 PM
How easy was that then:yes nod:...............I knew you would see it dafty

Andy FFS :laugh: ........... DOH!!! (schoolboy error) :hand:

Welcome back Angus ......... tis been quiet around these parts of late .......... get 'STUCK IN' ma man :thumbs up:

Apart from that where the feck have you been & what the feck are you driving these days ................................ it had better be good now :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
7th June 2011, 07:45 PM
Blast from the past or what...... welcome back Angus

X30YES
7th June 2011, 08:28 PM
Now then TY for the welcome ,doing the world tour tbh,re driving , nothing sexy or exciting really ,had a couple of 120D Msport coupe's and just moved to a 320 msport plus ...easy on the mpg and insurance etc ...
and the sleeping bag ...forgot about her ,and financial share in the Audi TTsline ,,I wash it at weekends when she visits

Crombers
7th June 2011, 08:49 PM
Now then TY for the welcome ,doing the world tour tbh,re driving , nothing sexy or exciting really ,had a couple of 120D Msport coupe's and just moved to a 320 msport plus ...easy on the mpg and insurance etc ...
and the sleeping bag ...forgot about her , sort of 60/40 share on the TTRS

:frown: Delighted for ya :confused: (dark side or what!!!)

Get yerself back ya dobber :thumbs up:

john
12th June 2011, 08:11 AM
Getting back on topic:computer:

The Senna movie came out the day after I left for OZ so not seen it yet but will do asap.

Hello Angus!! I was in Strathaven a few weeks back and stayed at the Strathaven Hotel

No mini for me either I have a TR8 and a RAV4:thumbs up:

OOPS!! off topic again..........

Senna Legend, I did buy the top gear mag for the firswt time ever just to get the Senna DVD:cool:

X30YES
13th June 2011, 12:36 PM
""Hello Angus!! I was in Strathaven a few weeks back and stayed at the Strathaven Hotel"" no way .........I live behind the Hotel and look into the carpark !!

stoney
20th June 2011, 11:38 PM
Getting back on topic:computer:

The Senna movie came out the day after I left for OZ so not seen it yet but will do asap.

Hello Angus!! I was in Strathaven a few weeks back and stayed at the Strathaven Hotel

No mini for me either I have a TR8 and a RAV4:thumbs up:

OOPS!! off topic again..........

Senna Legend, I did buy the top gear mag for the firswt time ever just to get the Senna DVD:cool:

You should have text would have met u for a pint only 10mins Down the road from me :lol:

I'm going to see Sena 2morow

stoney
21st June 2011, 09:45 PM
well fantastic move loved it :thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd June 2011, 12:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing this when i get home :thumbs up:

euan
22nd June 2011, 03:49 PM
I went to see it last night (precluded with a Wagamama - do nights out get any better?). It's a fantastic film, very well made and tells the story of key events well. I don't want to say too much of my feelings on it in case others don't want to know until they've seen it, but it's very enlightening in some areas and the footage is great.

The Imola weekend is hard to watch though, even though you know it's coming, people were crying all round me and that's before the accidents. My wife found the Donnolly footage worse though (and, if you've never seen it, it's nasty stuff).

john
22nd June 2011, 05:22 PM
I went to see it last night (precluded with a Wagamama - do nights out get any better?). It's a fantastic film, very well made and tells the story of key events well. I don't want to say too much of my feelings on it in case others don't want to know until they've seen it, but it's very enlightening in some areas and the footage is great.

The Imola weekend is hard to watch though, even though you know it's coming, people were crying all round me and that's before the accidents. My wife found the Donnolly footage worse though (and, if you've never seen it, it's nasty stuff).

Well put, Gaynor is not a racing fan and she said it was an excellent film too as did my daughter.

stoney
22nd June 2011, 05:56 PM

Yep it was hard to watch and realy opens your eyes to the danger of F1 racing a very good film a must watch

I went by my self as the wife did not want to see it

Parkibob
26th June 2011, 06:56 AM
Fantastic film, very close to the edge with some of the footage it certainly shows how dangerous F1 was compared to today, compelling viewing for anyone who follows F1 and certainly a film I'll watch again when it makes it to the small screen

weefossy
27th June 2011, 09:56 PM
Is it worth organising a wee run to Gala for an NMS private showing??

Craig
27th June 2011, 11:10 PM

Sounds like a great idea Malcolm ;)

stoney
27th June 2011, 11:16 PM

I would be up for that :)

AndyP & Lenore
28th June 2011, 11:07 PM
Been and gone with us, sorry folks.:frown:

euan
29th June 2011, 09:29 AM
Been and gone with us, sorry folks.:frown:

This is WAY off topic, and happy to move it out, but I'm interested in this. Andy, how was it distributed? It was hard work trying to find out when it would be out and then it was only for 2 nights (at least in my local cinema). Were you told you could only show it on those dates, or a limited number of showings?

On a more general question and not specifically Senna, say you wanted to run a one-off (birthday party as an example) of someone hiring the cinema, how do you get the films?

AndyP & Lenore
29th June 2011, 07:46 PM
Euan, it was distributed by Universal Pictures, which is unusual for a documentary - these are usually picked up by one of the smaller independent distributors. Universal were pretty sure the film wasn't going to work very well commercially so they restricted the number of prints it would be released on to 100. In addition, it was only released digitally. On top of that, it was released three weeks after Pirates Of The Caribbean in 3D. So, any cinema which only has one digital screen would not have wanted to risk clashing an unknown entity (Senna = documentary) with a film which, going by previous Pirate's films, was likely to fill their halls for 3 or 4 weeks. Because of the restriction in prints, and the possibility of a Pirates clash, we booked the film to show from Friday 10th June - 1 week after Senna's release date, 4 weeks after Pirates. We booked it for a 1 week booking, 1 show per day. There was no option to go for a second week, because the Oscar Winning, Canne's Palm d'or winning wonder-piece Kung Foo Panda II: The kaboom of Doom was released in 3D the following Friday. And as much as I'd rather show Senna every show for a month rather than that trash, we need these movies to keep us going.

I'm surprised your local only showed it for 2 or 3 shows, this soon into it's release. I would have thought that kind of flexibility would only crop in after 4 or 5 weeks of a film being on release. I guess Universal were just happy to get any bookings for a film they didn't have much confidence in anyway.

For us, considering it was a documentary, Senna did very well. Not as well as Fahrenheit 911, but we were quite happy with the 20 to 30 we had in each night.

Private bookings/parties. It's no cheap. The cinema would need to hire the film in for you and the distributor will ask for a minimum fee of between £80 and £120 depending on the distributor. Then the cinema will want a minimum fee to cover costs/profit, etc. And they will likely state that if you are bringing 300 mates, the cost will rise significantly, because by then, the distributor is looking for a "share" of the box office, rather than a minimum £80/£120.

The biggest problem is timing. You'll be hard pushed to find any cinema which will take a public performance off to do a private party for you, certainly without a significant fee. Perhaps one of the huge multiplexes which have more flexibility may be happy to drop a Friday night show, but any cinema with less than 6 screens would have trouble doing that. Which just leaves a midweek morning or daytime show. Easier to drop something then, but would you want it at that time of day??

The good news is, at the moment, you can get hold of almost every film ever made, in 35mm format which almost every cinema can show. Over the course of 2011/12 we are pretty much ALL changing to digital. Once that change has taken place, there's a massive (thousands) of back title's which have not been converted to digital, and many cinema's will be unable to show them. We're keeping perhaps two, certainly one 35mm projector. just in cases.

Any more questions, fire away...

A.:thumbs up:

euan
29th June 2011, 09:43 PM
Cheers Andy, really appreciate that.

My local (Cineworld, 8 screens job) showed it for one night with 4 shows from lunchtime till the 8:45 we went to. It was packed in the one we were in, but that may have been as a result of it being a one night only showing and people made more of an effort that if it had been on for a week. Where we live there are a few villages and areas that have people with a lot of cash and flash cars, prime F1 fan really, so I guess it may not have been the most typical demographic either. That was borne out by the car park - I did have to wait until both the Ferrari California and the DB9 started up and left before we moved! God bless underground car parks and their acoustics!

Anyway, I now understand the reason that nobody was willing to commit to dates in the run up and why it had 2 dates where the chains were showing it, I guess animated pandas are very important for some people ;-)

And I know we've spoken about this before, but we've been twice recently (when to see the Kings Speech which I found surprising good as I expected more of a chick flick element) and it never ceases to amaze me on the price the charge for popcorn and drinks. £7.20 for a drink and popcorn! Anyway, best move swiftly on :-)

AndyP & Lenore
29th June 2011, 10:33 PM
And I know we've spoken about this before, but we've been twice recently (when to see the Kings Speech which I found surprising good as I expected more of a chick flick element) and it never ceases to amaze me on the price the charge for popcorn and drinks. £7.20 for a drink and popcorn! Anyway, best move swiftly on :-)

It is kinda old ground, but I actually agree with you. I feel that the chains have been over charging for confectionery for years.:frown:

I'm glad we're not a chain.:thumbs up:

euan
30th June 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm glad we're not a chain.:thumbs up:

I know, I'm glad there are the independents going, much more interesting buildings typically as much as better service. There are a couple of small independents that we can use, but one is in the centre of Birmingham which means either a 40 minute drive or a 30 minute train, and the other is in Leamington which is about 40 minutes the other way. Whereas the Cineworld is 5 minutes in the car and has loads of parking. It's a no brainer as we don't go very often and usually can't leave till we've put the wee one to bed and want to get back to let the babysitter go home, so I'll just need to put up with it unfortunately.