PDA

View Full Version : Exterior black trim

Neil - TXJ
30th May 2011, 11:24 AM
This weekend I have cleaned the exterior black trim. First I used peanut oil to remove the white wax marks and them Chemicals Guys Gel and it has come up very well.

However, any suggestions on how to clean the front and rear grills as the only thing I can think of is to use cotton buds but don't think this would work and I am not going to clean each individual hole - I don't want it clean that much!

Cheers

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Trigger0404/7754d4bb.jpg

stoney
30th May 2011, 11:29 AM
well thats about the only thing that will work that i can think off i would do it and then when you next polish asking tape up the grills os you dont have to keep on doing it and the best thing i have found for the black trim is autobright berry blast drys quicker than cem guys stuff a lot of the GP owners use it and a bottle will last for ages i even use it on the black on the GP wheels

Penny Louise
30th May 2011, 11:40 AM
This is what i need to do to mines, I've used a few products previously but the white marks always seem to come back after a few days... need to get some of that Autobright stuff

stoney
30th May 2011, 11:43 AM
its very good will last a few weeks i try to use it if i when i wash the car but as others have said peanut oil will remove the white marks then put the autobright stuff on top and it makes it look :cool:

stoney
30th May 2011, 11:44 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/s700ony/GP0668/IMGP3381.jpg

this is mine just after using the autobright stuff

N16SHP
30th May 2011, 02:02 PM
Neil - Try and get your hands on a brush from Autoglym. They class it as a wheel/engine brush, but its got synthetic rubber bristles so they don't scratch anything, and I use it for wheels, pedals, grilles literally anything that is tricky. Obviously washed in between each process but it's good as the bristles don't wear down or fall out!!

Halfrauds (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_16 2119_langId_-1_categoryId_165486) - Here is a link for it from Halfrauds, but I'm sure you may find it cheaper else where, but just bare in mind postage!

It's also quite a big brush, so it's not a little fiddly one either...good size!

Penny Louise
30th May 2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks Stoney :D GP Looks good :D

Neil - TXJ
30th May 2011, 03:36 PM
Cheers, I will have to pop in Halfords and see if I can see one of the Autoglym brushes - thanks Neil.

The Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel is very good but you need to get the wax marks off first. It also came with a really handy applicator.

Neil

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Neil used an artist brush (very small one) and cleaned each bit. I then coated in autosmart trim ultra.

N16SHP
30th May 2011, 05:50 PM
Neil used an artist brush (very small one) and cleaned each bit. I then coated in autosmart trim ultra.

+1 also for what he said! Although I hope you've got a good back and plenty time on your hands lol!!

Neil - TXJ
30th May 2011, 06:04 PM
+1 also for what he said! Although I hope you've got a good back and plenty time on your hands lol!!

Not sure I have the patience!

ianking
30th May 2011, 09:21 PM
I spray them with APC to clean then jet wash during the wash process.

To dress I use autosmart silicone spray aerosol then just wipe off the excess from the surrounding paintwork.

Mon the fish
31st May 2011, 08:04 AM
Dodo Juice gloss trim sealant kit - not cheap, but I haven't had to touch the trim for 3 months, it's that good

craigib76
9th June 2011, 10:05 AM
i use valet pro yellow trim gel easy to put on and last for ages added bonus it smells nice too lol

mini megz
25th July 2011, 06:23 PM
Hey

This has been a helpful thread as I have the same white marks too . . . I also don't think the previous owner took much pride in the Mini, but I am making up for her lack of love :p I have just bought Simoniz Back to Black Gel and so far so good, but again, I think I may need to apply this most times after the car has been washed, polished and waxed!