PDA

View Full Version : Monaco **Spoiler**

N16SHP
29th May 2011, 03:37 PM
Well, how do you sum up that race? From my point of view, Lewis' over eagerness has cost Jenson the race IMO. Had the safety car not came out then, Jenson would of been well in front of Sebastien and Fernando after the next round of pit stops. As much as I am a McLaren fan, I really hope to see him getting punished as his move that ultimately ended a great drive from Maldonado was totally wreckless. Yes he can argue that he should of seen him etc etc, but at the end of the day, if you put your car there in a dangerous place knowing that the driver may turn in on you, then your braking the rules that state "causing an avoidable accident" which is what he did....TWICE!

I think it's a bit of a hollow victory for Vettel, but at the end of the day, he got the job done on the Saturday, and when the luck is going your way, it's going your way. In a way you create your luck I suppose.

Also good to see Ferrari with some genuine pace again over the whole of the weekend. As much as I dislike them (I even hate the fact I drive for them in F1 2010 as no one else wanted me) it's good for the sport, and before the Petrov crash that brought out the safety car, I was cheering on Alonso to pass Vettel!

All in all a decent race, but I agree with Mr Brundle that the only people walking away from this weekend unhappy will be the fans as the scrap between Vettel, Alonso and Button was going to be really interesting!!

The Dogfather
29th May 2011, 03:49 PM
How can you blame Hamilton for Button's failure?

Button's race was lost with the unneeded extra stop, end of.....

As for your other comments its racing not a precession, give Hamilton and other drivers some credit for trying to race. The truth is Monaco is no longer suitable for modern F1.

Big Gordy
29th May 2011, 03:51 PM
The truth is Monaco is no longer suitable for modern F1.

I agree :yes nod:
Its now all down to how well you can qualify..!!

The Dogfather
29th May 2011, 03:59 PM
<update>Oh dear, Hamilton shouldn't have taken that interview on his way out of the Stewards

Gismo
29th May 2011, 05:01 PM
Monaco is no longer suitable for modern F1.

Its now all down to how well you can qualify..!!Agreed, racing in Monaco is total crap, if winning is governed by what happens around you and not by your driving ability then it's time to call a halt.
Worst circuit every year, obviously steeped in racing history but useless for a spectator sport.

Hamilton's eagerness to get going shows the frustration of the lack of overtaking chances.

Even i almost wanted Alonso to pass Vettel, but, not liking either of them it was a tough call

N16SHP
29th May 2011, 05:04 PM
How can you blame Hamilton for Button's failure?

Button's race was lost with the unneeded extra stop, end of.....

As for your other comments its racing not a precession, give Hamilton and other drivers some credit for trying to race. The truth is Monaco is no longer suitable for modern F1.

Button had to stop as he started the race on the options, on lap 15 pitted for more options so had to pit again to use the prime and comply with using both sets of tyres. I'm not saying that Hamilton directly caused Button to finish 3rd, it's more irony than anything. I'm not saying for the drivers to not have a go, I'd just like to see someone stand back and say yes, my fault, shouldn't of put my car there. If I put my car there, I'm running the risk of getting hit. Don't stick your car in a blind spot, then go onto the team claiming he drove into you and try and suck to my Mr Whiteing in race control!

I will however totally agree with you that regardless of the 'driving challenge,' Monaco sadly is not really fit for F1 anymore.

Agreed, racing in Monaco is total crap, if winning is governed by what happens around you and not by your driving ability then it's time to call a halt.
Worst circuit every year, obviously steeped in racing history but useless for a spectator sport.

I think Valencia, the modern equivalent of Monaco, is must better suited as it was built along with modern F1. Sadly I don't think Monaco will ever be taken off the calender unless there is more big accidents which we don't want to see!

N16SHP
29th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Its now all down to how well you can qualify..!!

I think that's been the case for a while now, and for as long as I can recall, they've always made a point in saying that if you don't qualify on the front row of the grid, there's no chance of winning. Did they not come away with some stat that no one has won from anything but the front row for something like 7 or 8 years?

GCA3N
29th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Agreed Neil with comments , such a shame though as i was so looking forward to the final 10 laps to see if vettel could hold on. Great weekend of racing though thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

stoney
29th May 2011, 07:09 PM
well there can be overtakeing as there was some today !!!!

it was shame they red flaged it just before the end and then able to change the wheels but thats racing for you

euan
31st May 2011, 09:43 AM
I agree with Paul - Monaco is just too small now for modern F1 cars. However, they'll never lose it as it has so much history and the sponsors love it.

In terms of cars, Red Bull really look like they're going to have their wings clipped. The reason they're so dominant on Saturdays is apparently due to an engine map that effectively runs the engine at full power the entire lap, generating enough exhaust gases for the blown diffuser to run the entire lap. Combine that with being able to use DRS as much as they want in qualy, means they have a massive advantage. So the move to close off that loophole will really hurt them, especially as they still seem to be having KERS issues.

baptie
31st May 2011, 10:12 AM
it was shame they red flaged it just before the end and then able to change the wheels but thats racing for you

with these new tyres I think that rule will be changed asap to make sure that cannot happen again, another loop hole missed IMHO