PDA

View Full Version : MINI dilema

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 11:38 AM
This was discussed on the Highland Tour but I thought it would be good to discuss this with others.

My current MINI has now done over 58k and due to go out of warranty in October, this is also the point when I can hand it back to MINI. The car has had a fix for the cold start but its since returned.

My personal situation is that I don't want to spend as much on a car as we did with this MINI as we have a motorhome which we use at weekends and I'm also commuting a lot less.

I'd made my mind up to move away from the MINI brand as my next car would have to be a car of similar age but lower mileage to my current clubbie and I didn't fancy having another MINI which is inherently faulty (cold start).

However, having had a blast around the Highlands I'm still fairly hooked on MINIs, but it has to be a MCS or above.

So what should I do? Buy another MINI MCS, or move to either an Abarth 500 or MX5? :argh:

ianking
19th May 2011, 11:54 AM
Im having very similar dilemas at the moment.

My car is out of warranty at the end of July. Its the longest Ive kept any car and I recon its because I like it and also because Im starting to get older and more sensible and realise that changing the car more than once a year is not good for the pocket.

Ive just had a very reasonable quote from warranty direct to extend it for 1 year.

I was very temprted to go away from MINI for a change. Abarth 500 is very smart and Ive been twice now to look as they aer very affordable. However the build isnt a anywhere near as good as the mini and the residual value isnt very good. I also looked at the Volvo C30 T5R but they aer worth about £2 after a couple years so even buying a 6 month old one is going to cause sleepless nights. I cant afford a Focus RS so I have had to leave that idea.
I would go back to another 1 series especially another 130i or a 135i but in order not to spend huge monies I would be looking at something only 6 months newer than I have at the moment.
So its a fair chance I will get another mini or just keep the one I have.
Ideally I would like to spend less than I did on my last one.

Craig
19th May 2011, 12:20 PM
Not an easy one Paul. I forfeited my mini for the benefit of the family and it wasn't an easy decision. I was ok with the decision over the last 4 months until that run at the weekend and it's now got me wondering if I can afford a cheap coop or one :rolleyes:

The one thing stopping me buying another S is the cold start prob :frown:

The Abarth 500 is lovely but as Ian says, the build quality isn't the best. One thing I will say is I have had my punto 10 months now and it hasn't had one fault.... Now that's better than ANY mini I have owned ;)

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 12:48 PM
I drove the EsseEsse Abarth and it was noticeably quicker and noisier than my Clubbie S, very firm suspension though. Almost R53 with sports suspension firm

GCA3N
19th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Another mini mate certainly from the choice you gave. Test drive a works and make your decision.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Goonerij
19th May 2011, 01:08 PM
.... as my next car would have to be a car of similar age but lower mileage to my current clubbie and I didn't fancy having another MINI which is inherently faulty (cold start) ....

I would be tempted to hang on to the Clubbie Paul ;) A new warranty can be purchased and there is an established fix for the cold start rattle which has re-appeared .... you can get it sorted properly under the MINI warranty before Oct.

I gather that if you change, it would be for another used car .... ok you will get a warranty but it is likely to be limited and you could just be buying someone else's previous nightmare. You have a fantastic used car in the Clubbie, which you know intimately .... why change it for another used car you may not know the 'real' history of ;)

The only doubt I would have is the mileage on the Clubbie. 58k is high for it's age .... but if you are using it a lot less, is it likely to come back to something 'just' over average if you were to keep it for a couple more Highland Runs, sorry, I meant years? :smilewinkgrin:

Parkibob
19th May 2011, 01:18 PM
I'm with Ian on this one Paul, sounds to me like the Highland run has cast a lot of doubts into the mind and as such moving away may be the wrong reaction and one which you would regret in time, as stated, you know the Clubbie very well and it drives superbly as could be seen as you disappeared into the distance at the weekend.

If you were to change then there are some excellent deals to be had in the JCW arena if you shop around. :smilewinkgrin: Certainly take one out for a spin to be able to compare to the Fiat in any case :cool:

Difficult decision and not one to be made lightly, trouble is we might confuse you more than you already are with all our comments :confused:

Best of luck with the process of elimination :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
19th May 2011, 02:02 PM
Sometimes better the Mini you know. I've had my JCW now for 6 years & 63k, never a single problem

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm worried about the clutch on my current car and I'd rather have a hatch as its quicker.

ianking
19th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Paul

what about buying my JCW

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 05:24 PM
I'd need to get it on finance Ian, oh, and I'm not going to be changing till September......

Duncan Stewart
19th May 2011, 07:11 PM
You know you will only get one type of advice on here - stick with MINI :smilewinkgrin: (and do another highland run - please :thumbs up:)

Does the cold start rattle do any harm or is it just annoying?

Stewart
19th May 2011, 09:11 PM
I still can’t fathom how far you really can push these wee cars, guess you’d need to go on a track day to find out their limits. But the feeling even driving the Cooper in the highlands round the bends is a bit special.

I’d love to see what a Golf GT feels like on the coast road after Applecross, is it to comfortable and detached or would it be like the Mini only saying that as I was a whisker from getting the new Golf GT a few years back and I'm happy I looked on Cherished and went for the Mini.

There are some really nice Works out there......;)

weefossy
19th May 2011, 09:42 PM
1. Mr King your car is emaculate and it has everything you need / want. Extent the warranty....end of story.
2. Worried about high mileage....look at Shielz's firt car..... ignore it and enjoy it. I had a 5 series and it was as good at 108K as it was new.
3. Paul, an Abrath is a Fiat made for "Yummy Mummies" who want to be "kool" on the school run. Unike the MX5 which is great car made for hairdressers. No competition for a Mini.
4. Craig is excused this time, but only because of family reasons.
5. You can finance a 2nd hand car. Find a good R55 S and stick with it and depreciation doesn't matter. Look at Stoney, if he looks after that GP he will never need / want another Mini
6. Stop worrying about it Paul and concentrate on the next Highland run.......or what about a Northern "Coast to Coast" run.

The Retro Junkie
19th May 2011, 10:15 PM
I know there's a white Mini Mayfair going for £2250 if you're interested at all - and it'll only increase in price as they get rarer as the years pass us by.:p

Failing that, I'll swap you my Mini One which is currently on 63,000 and has a full tank of petrol. I'll throw in a bottle of pepsi and a packet of crisps to sweeten the deal too :thumbs up:

In all seriousness, I'm sure the Abarth and the MX5 are brilliant cars (in fact, my Auntie has two MX5's - No, I don't know why either), but for me, the Mini - new or old - is one of the cars that's instantly recognised as a brilliant car not just for the way it drives, but for the enthusiasts scene that follows the little car that could. Sure, the Mazda and the Fiat will have their followings - but look at their events compared to the gigs that the Mini scene gets.

If you were to leave the Mini scene Paul, it'd be a great loss - and as Malcom rightly says, you've got our backing to go ahead with this coast to coast run, and I'm sure we'd all do our bit to help out. :smilewinkgrin:

Happiness is Mini shaped :cool:

silver spirit
19th May 2011, 10:21 PM
Well said. I would agree with all you have mentioned

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 10:41 PM
Is the JCW affected by the cold start???

Parkibob
19th May 2011, 10:49 PM

Paul, not sure what the cold start issue is but if it's some kind of rattle then I've not heard it on mine or have I heard anyone mention it in any JCW discussions. One thing I can tell you is this is the best car I've driven as far as fun goes, take one for a test drive mate, I did just that before Xmas and was hooked within fifteen minutes of getting behind the wheel. :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 10:54 PM
I drove one and didn't think it was a big enough step up over my MCS to have one as a second car, hence why I went for the TT

Scottie
19th May 2011, 11:36 PM
I know when I change it will not be for the hatch or the clubbie been there done that it will be the countryman and if that is not suitable then I will go for another brand of car, however I have to say to date the clubbie has been the best by far Confident the countryman will suit

Parkibob
19th May 2011, 11:45 PM
looking to change the Audi A4 (Company car) next March, already checking to see if the Countryman is on the car list, if not then I'll be opting out of the car scheme and going Countryman myself
Didn't like it when first released but it's grown on me

ianking
20th May 2011, 08:11 AM
Paul

If you were keen on buying my JCW I would wait until September.
A friend of mine is a finance broker and he could do the deal for you.

Just a thought.

euan
20th May 2011, 09:50 AM
Ah, the anguish of car choices :-)

Let's look at the evidence. MINI is a cracking wee car, you clubbie looks great but there are two things you are concerned about. Get them both looked at now while under warranty, if they give it a clean bill of health for the clutch would that change your mind? And if you are still concerned, look into an extended warranty for it, they're not that bad. Personally, I put the money I would spend on a warranty on a savings account to cover those eventualities instead, and so far (touch wood) nothing has needed to be touched in that account. Whether I'm brave or stupid doing that with a Quattro I'll leave you to decide!

If you changed into another mini, you'd be doing it for speed alone. JCW are awesome wee cars, but where is the cost saving over your Clubbie? Chances are it'll be a similar age, out of warranty as well, so not really a different deal to the Clubbie, just more speed. And there's nothing wrong with that ;-)

As for the other cars - I love the idea of the Arbath, but if I'm honest, I'm too old for that car now. The interior and build quality would drive me mad, as would the ride. Nice idea, young mans game ;-)

MX5 - a genuine drivers car like the Mini, diluted with age but still a great fun car. If you were looking to change away from Mini, that's where I'd be putting my money.

Food for thought anyway.

Burple
20th May 2011, 10:31 AM

Yes... :frown: Mine's done it a couple of times in the last month. Going to be going in to see if I can get that dealt with very soon. After the Thistle Run tho. i'm not taking a chance on missing it cos some Stealers have my car! ;)

The Dogfather
20th May 2011, 10:43 AM
Well seeing that the JCW is also affected the way I see it is I either go for a facelift model, which I assume doesn't have the cold start issue, and pay the extra dosh each month, or change to a different car altogether.

The clutch would be excluded from extended warranties as its wear and tear, in fact its not covered by the MINI one either, hence my current concerns. The cost of replacing a clutch and flywheel is high and its dead money on my car. Oh, my car has also started using a lot of oil as well..... but not a litre per 1000 miles as per BMW's classification of a warranty issue.

weefossy
20th May 2011, 02:46 PM
Had to get Craig to explain what the "cold start" syndrome was about a year ago and can say nine Minis later, that we have never had it on the R53s R55s R56 or the Works. Maybe we are just lucky.

N16SHP
20th May 2011, 03:35 PM
Well seeing that the JCW is also affected the way I see it is I either go for a facelift model, which I assume doesn't have the cold start issue, and pay the extra dosh each month, or change to a different car altogether.

The clutch would be excluded from extended warranties as its wear and tear, in fact its not covered by the MINI one either, hence my current concerns. The cost of replacing a clutch and flywheel is high and its dead money on my car. Oh, my car has also started using a lot of oil as well..... but not a litre per 1000 miles as per BMW's classification of a warranty issue.

That last part about the 1000 miles for burning oil was what I was told at the John Clark Stealer, and I actually asked the guy, did you just say that with a straight face...seriously, you don't believe that yourself do you? And straight faced he said yes. Complete plonker.

Had to get Craig to explain what the "cold start" syndrome was about a year ago and can say nine Minis later, that we have never had it on the R53s R55s R56 or the Works. Maybe we are just lucky.

I believe this problem is only an R56 issue but I may be wrong :idunno:

Mon the fish
21st May 2011, 07:05 AM
The R53 has a related issue, in that the hydraulic lifters can rattle when cold

The Dogfather
21st May 2011, 07:43 AM
So what does £15k buy you (maximum budget, probably), from the cars I'd consider: -

Abarth Esseesse 2010 - 7.4k miles (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201120387582595/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/15000/model/500/make/abarth/page/1/radius/1501/keywords/esseesse/postcode/dh70el?logcode=p)
Alfa Brera 2.4 JTD 210 - 2008 15k miles (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201120387353398/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/price-to/15000/fuel-type/diesel/model/brera/make/alfa_romeo/page/2/radius/1501/postcode/dh70el?logcode=p)
Cooper S Chili - 2009 6k miles (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201120387353398/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/price-to/15000/fuel-type/diesel/model/brera/make/alfa_romeo/page/2/radius/1501/postcode/dh70el?logcode=p)
Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - 2010 6k miles (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201119387090790/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/15000/price-from/13000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/model/mx-5/make/mazda/postcode/dh70el/radius/1501/page/3?logcode=p)

The Dogfather
21st May 2011, 07:55 AM
Then again set the budget to £9k and there's still some good cars available, plus with this MINI I wouldn't have to worry about cold starts

2005 Cooper S 18k (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201119387213295/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/9000/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/model/cooper_s/make/mini/page/2/postcode/dh70el/radius/1501?logcode=p)

Mind you, this is like new in comparison: -

2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - 8k miles (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201120387529844/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/price-to/9000/model/mx-5/make/mazda/radius/1501/postcode/dh70el/page/2?logcode=p)

With the 'saved' cash I could have a monthly modding budget or have the Cooper S converted to LPG ;)

ianking
21st May 2011, 09:03 AM
I will be selling my JCW for less than £15k

GCA3N
21st May 2011, 09:07 AM
I will be selling my JCW for less than £15k

I sincerely hope it will be for a new one Ian ;)

Alex from NM
21st May 2011, 09:26 AM
Would you consider an R53 JCW? They're going for peanuts. I suppose it depends whether you're planning to commute everyday with it. Is it too much to buy a clapped out diesel to commute and a fun car?

SuperCooperS
21st May 2011, 11:59 AM
Ive had my car for a wee while now, mine tends to rattle when cold too but quickly goes away once a little heat gets through the engine.. Ive heard a mixture of possible problems like the hydraulic lifters or tensioners, it doesnt sound very nice and didnt think it was normal for a car to make that kind of noise... ive been told it wont do any harm driving the car but am going to get it checked out anyway.. but it seems like a common thing from what you guys say? has anyone had any problems with it?

The Dogfather
21st May 2011, 01:15 PM
Would you consider an R53 JCW? They're going for peanuts. I suppose it depends whether you're planning to commute everyday with it. Is it too much to buy a clapped out diesel to commute and a fun car?

Not doing many miles to work since I moved to T-Mobile in Sunderland.

rabhrab
21st May 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi SuperCooperS, do I take it that you've missed out on the lengthy discussion in this thread?: http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?18946-Cold-start-(diesel)-rattle-Clubman
If so it is certainly worth a few minutes read, as there are lots of valid opinions expressed. I have had no complaints, so far, since my 'death rattle' was fixed by Menzies earlier last month. Good luck!

SuperCooperS
21st May 2011, 07:34 PM
Hi rabhrab, I was flicking through the forum and did notice the chat about the rattle and from what folk say it seems to be the tensioner.. ive the car booked in for a cold start examination this week, so ill tell them I am aware of the cold start tensioner issue and make them aware i know about the full fix required.. thats if they dont suggest that to me first.. but im sure ill get it sorted..cheers though, hope your having a good weekend

rabhrab
22nd May 2011, 11:38 AM
........ ive the car booked in for a cold start examination this week, so ill tell them I am aware of the cold start tensioner issue and make them aware i know about the full fix required..
At first, Menzies said my car was O.K., despite having it overnight to examine it when cold. I HAD to video the problem (the video is in the thread) and then they agreed immediately to put in the full fix. I would suggest you do the same, just in case they try to play hardball. Best of luck!

SuperCooperS
23rd May 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi rabhrab thanks for the advice.. ill post up on the forum after I get the car seen and let everyone know how ive got on!! enjoy your week, cheers

The Dogfather
29th May 2011, 07:32 PM
Made a decision today regarding the car, it won't be an R56 unless something silly priced comes along. I'm going to look for either a R53 S or I might try to find a low mileage GP. If there's no decent R53s around when I come to look I probably end up in an MX5 again.

N16SHP
29th May 2011, 07:38 PM
Made a decision today regarding the car, it won't be an R56 unless something silly priced comes along. I'm going to look for either a R53 S or I might try to find a low mileage GP. If there's no decent R53s around when I come to look I probably end up in an MX5 again.

I fear with my latest running's with Mini a'l be joining you on the exit Paul!

Crombers
29th May 2011, 09:32 PM

Y'mean R50 ya fud!!!!

Any questions speak to a Mr John Barrie

:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
29th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Has to be an S, I need to be able to disappear into the distance on the hills :D

N16SHP
30th May 2011, 02:05 PM
Y'mean R50 ya fud!!!!

Any questions speak to a Mr John Barrie

:thumbs up:

The R50 includes the S right? It's just the JCW that is an R53 as it has a different chassis?

The Dogfather
30th May 2011, 02:18 PM
no the R53 is the S and JCW, the JCW has the same chassis

N16SHP
30th May 2011, 05:49 PM
Ah, coolio! It's something that has always confused me!

The Dogfather
30th May 2011, 06:41 PM
Had a look at a BRG 54 plate JCW today, it had every box ticked:-

JCW Seats, brakes, carbon fibre dash, body kit, sunroof, sat nav etc. - 28k miles and £10k

GCA3N
30th May 2011, 07:11 PM
Had a look at a BRG 54 plate JCW today, it had every box ticked:-

JCW Seats, brakes, carbon fibre dash, body kit, sunroof, sat nav etc. - 28k miles and £10k

Sounds like a beauty.

Mon the fish
31st May 2011, 07:58 AM
Very expensive for an R53 IMO... there's still some sellers asking for JCW tax. I would think nearer £8k for that, I've seen some minters go on other forums for closer to £7k - one's with plenty of history of decent mods, extra services etc etc. Sometimes better to buy one off a forum, as the car has plenty of documented history. But good choice on the R53

The Dogfather
31st May 2011, 08:16 AM
There's £900 mark up on the car, I saw the dealer sheet with the 'cost' on it, being able to read from a distance upside down is a useful skill.

Craig
31st May 2011, 09:48 AM
You could have had my 06 plate with less miles for £8250 a few months ago ;)

The Dogfather
31st May 2011, 09:50 AM
Big difference with buying private to buying from a dealer, there's a lot of piece of mind buying from a dealer including a 30 day exchange

Craig
31st May 2011, 09:58 AM
Big difference with buying private to buying from a dealer, there's a lot of piece of mind buying from a dealer including a 30 day exchange

I hear what your saying Paul but they put £3500 onto the price of my car to put it on the forecourt :thud: I doubt very much that you would have bills totally that in the first year which is all you get with a cherished warranty :yes nod:

Only if the gearbox went would you be looking a bills like that and it was replaced 8k earlier ;)

The Dogfather
31st May 2011, 10:41 AM
Its not just warranty, you can get an aftermarket warranty that is as good if not better than the dealer one, there's also cars which have been cloned. That happened to our Civic but because we bought it from a dealership there was no issue over which was the 'real' car.

I've looked at private sale and it not that expensive, I'd be looking to get a £800 knocked off either way.

SuperCooperS
3rd June 2011, 09:01 AM
Hi guys and girls, after leaving my car in last Thursday night for a cold start examination last Friday..i finally got my car back Wednesday this week.. They told me last Friday after having the day all day that they could not get the the car to fail to validate the warrante paper work and repair, however i had shown them two video recordings and told them i was aware of what the problem when i was in with them last week, they had even set the parts aside aswell assuming it was the belt and lifter etc they had not appeared to do much after having the car examined twice from a cold start..so i basically gave them stink on the phone on Friday evening, they rang back after 45mins telling me, strangely enough, that they had got the car to fail in their examination and would get the car sorted, thankfully everything was done under warrante and is running perfectly now:-)

GCA3N
3rd June 2011, 09:28 AM
Good result shame you have to lose your temper to get things done.

sent from my galaxy S ll

N16SHP
3rd June 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi guys and girls, after leaving my car in last Thursday night for a cold start examination last Friday..i finally got my car back Wednesday this week.. They told me last Friday after having the day all day that they could not get the the car to fail to validate the warrante paper work and repair, however i had shown them two video recordings and told them i was aware of what the problem when i was in with them last week, they had even set the parts aside aswell assuming it was the belt and lifter etc they had not appeared to do much after having the car examined twice from a cold start..so i basically gave them stink on the phone on Friday evening, they rang back after 45mins telling me, strangely enough, that they had got the car to fail in their examination and would get the car sorted, thankfully everything was done under warrante and is running perfectly now:-)

this isnt JC's in Aberdeen by any chance??

SuperCooperS
3rd June 2011, 05:24 PM
Hey, ohh no I didnt loos my temper, just expresses irritation since they had had my car a couple of time and nothing much seems to get done, but all sorted now and its running really well, so hopefully that will be the end of it...yes its JC aberdeen N16SHP.. do you go there for things you need to get done? how do you find them?..

The Dogfather
3rd June 2011, 06:15 PM
how do you find them?..

feckin' useless and down right incompetent, would sum up my experience

SuperCooperS
4th June 2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Dogfather what have you found they havent been so good about?.. i noticed yesterday that the central spedo is now loose.. and dont recall it being like that before leaving the car in for the cold start problem.. wierd huh. maybe just a coinsidence. they say they didnt need to go near the electrics but there is lots of play in it around the top edge now, will have to get that fixed at some stage now... im soo hungover today, was anyone out last night? good atmosphere but bars seemed strangely quiet..

N16SHP
4th June 2011, 11:42 PM
To keep Paul's thread on topic, if you wanna speak about JC's you can so here Useless bunch of moronic fools that couldn't run a bath let along a stealership (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?21853-Help-needed-urgently!!) I'm sure once you've read that, you'll understand why they are so useless. A'l never use them again, I now use Aw Autotech who have BMW Mini experience and a brand new Mini diagnostics machine!!

The Dogfather
10th July 2011, 07:56 PM
Right, I think a decision has almost been made. I think we'll be seeing the return of Vidal Buffoon in September.

When it comes down to it, I want to spend as little as possible on a new car whilst still having a car that's great to drive. The R53 is just too expensive to run and an LPG conversion is a bit of a risk. With that in mind I'm probably going to go for a low mileage 56 plate MX5 2.0 Sport and have some cash left over to turn it in to the best handling car this side of £30k.

Not confirmed 100%, the S-Type diesel and Abarth 500 are still in the mix (just)

Craig
10th July 2011, 08:31 PM
All 3 cars are nice motors ;)

The Dogfather
10th July 2011, 09:24 PM
Really loved the S-Type to drive and it would be a good choice but the running costs (tyres, servicing) and potential bills put me off

Mon the fish
11th July 2011, 07:14 AM
The S2000 on Top Gear last night not tempting? £6.5k, with only 48k on the clock?

The Dogfather
11th July 2011, 08:45 AM
Not really 20 real world mpg, tricky handling, no standard ESP (we get lots of snow in winter) and sky high insurance. I wouldn't enjoy driving it as much as a MX5 either.

There's also the Cosworth Supercharger kit which could boost the power of the 5 if I get bored.

Big Gordy
11th July 2011, 12:16 PM
There's also the Cosworth Supercharger kit which could boost the power of the 5 if I get bored.

The Americans stick small block V8's in them as well :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
11th July 2011, 12:50 PM
The Americans stick small block V8's in them as well :thumbs up:

But they don't have £6 per gallon fuel prices ;)

The Cosworth conversion puts the power up to 220 from 160 which is plenty for such a light car, and its not that bad for economy either ;).

Stewart
11th July 2011, 02:57 PM
A few weeks back on a non typical Scottish day the sun was out and blue sky I was passing through Giffnock and spotted this lovely green MX5 56 plate just about to pull out as I passed with the hood down and an older gent probably late sixties in it. It looked spotless...

Anyway I had my Windows down as I was sitting at the next set of lights.. He pulled up level and asked the year of the car and gave a general comment that it looked like I took care of it. I replied it was a 57 plate , what the mileage was on it he said so I said just under 23K.

He then said “ Seriously I mean this do you fancy a swap”

I just looked and said “Nah mate I like the Mini too much”

Nice wee car all the same.