PDA

View Full Version : A823 - Lockgilphead to Oban

The Dogfather
18th May 2011, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know this road, what's it like?

Is it busy? Is it fun to drive? Is the scenery up to much?

gillianmcd
18th May 2011, 10:21 PM
Hello... I don't know this road like the back of my hand (like the road from Lochgilphead to Campbeltown) but I have driven it a few times and it is both scenic & Fun to drive! :) Very windy...there's a section of it and it has about 13 hard corners in a row. :D

Craig
18th May 2011, 11:08 PM
Mini ecosse is your man to answer this. I drove it in Apr (albeit in the crash-qai) and it was a nice road with some great scenery. Defo a mini road ;)

Mini Ecosse
19th May 2011, 06:25 AM
Mini ecosse is your man to answer this. I drove it in Apr (albeit in the crash-qai) and it was a nice road with some great scenery. Defo a mini road ;)

WoooooHooooooooooo defo a mini road and yes some great scenery:thumbs up:
Some bits now have more than their fair share of potholes, however same could be said for most roads in this area:ragin:

GCA3N
19th May 2011, 06:49 AM
Paul did this, or atleat most of that route a few times going to aberdeen last year. Got off the ferry cloanaig and drove all they way up the A83, stunning route paul, scenery is amazing. I used to drive it early afternoons and it was rarely that busy.

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys, just the info I needed.

Stewart
19th May 2011, 10:24 AM
Oban-Lochgilphead then back to Oban I'm doing it in September going to the Crinan Canal when I’m up staying in FortWilliam. If I remember I’ll take a few pics for you. Been over the road a few times but in other cars, so first time with the Mini.

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 11:12 AM
We might be visting Scotland in the van sometime in the summer so I'll probabably have a look at it then. However, if your up that way Stewart let me know what you think of it.

ianking
19th May 2011, 11:57 AM
Im pretty sure I drove this road earlier in the year in my Dads new Z4 in the pis$ing rain. Had it been dry it would have been great fun.

RobSco
19th May 2011, 06:02 PM
Hi

Why wait - Have a look at the Scenery the now with Google Maps with Street View... :thumbs up:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lochgilphead&daddr=Oban&geocode=Fb4WVwMdLhut_ylBHae4NIKJSDHANt93HGgMCg%3BF SrBXAMd5Yms_ynB8d3S0EGJSDE3wo-B_0rdgw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=56.225031,-5.493164&sspn=0.509223,1.448822&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10

The Dogfather
19th May 2011, 10:39 PM
Hi

Why wait - Have a look at the Scenery the now with Google Maps with Street View... :thumbs up:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lochgilphead&daddr=Oban&geocode=Fb4WVwMdLhut_ylBHae4NIKJSDHANt93HGgMCg%3BF SrBXAMd5Yms_ynB8d3S0EGJSDE3wo-B_0rdgw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=56.225031,-5.493164&sspn=0.509223,1.448822&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10

Already had a look but its not possible to get a true sense of how good a road is without driving it. Do the bends string together well, are there good overtaking opportunities, is there too much traffic etc..

Mini Ecosse
20th May 2011, 06:57 AM
Already had a look but its not possible to get a true sense of how good a road is without driving it. Do the bends string together well, are there good overtaking opportunities, is there too much traffic etc..

Some long straights with wide bends as you leave LGH. level for first part as you travel beside Crinan canal. Later road starts to climb and road narrows with tight bends.
Some of the best scenery is when you approach Ardfern, the views are amazing from the highest part of road. Another section of long straights and sweeping bends. Steep narrow climb out of Kilmelford and before you no it you are in Oban. In other words this route covers all types of driving conditions :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
20th May 2011, 07:15 AM
perfect, I'll have a good look when we come up in the van

Mini Ecosse
20th May 2011, 08:58 PM
perfect, I'll have a good look when we come up in the van

PM me if you are ever up this way, we could meet for a coffee.
We met at Croft a couple of years ago when we came down to watch the mini's racing

The Dogfather
20th May 2011, 09:13 PM
I'll give you a shout if I'm up that way :thumbs up: