PDA

View Full Version : Whine from gearbox in 5th (Cooper)

3GGG
27th July 2004, 12:28 AM
I noticed on the A9 when stuck for miles in traffic doing between 50 and 60mph, that my Cooper has a whine from the transmission when power is applied just between those speeds, really annoying it is. Other gears and speeds are fine, and it stops if you lift off the throttle at those speeds.

It's going in tomorrow for the dealer to have a look at - anyone else with a Cooper noticed this?:question:

lightbody
27th July 2004, 02:01 AM
30,000 miles on - never had any whine, except from the steering and the passengers!

Smurf
27th July 2004, 03:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

except from the passengers!

Usually when they are plastered against the passenger window on a roundabout, eh, Rob!?

:D

Heather
27th July 2004, 04:21 AM
David, got 20k on my cooper and have not noticed that. Would be hard to hear it over the dashboard/seatbelt/seat rattle and the steering column knock!! But i would not have it any other way:D:D

john
27th July 2004, 04:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

I noticed on the A9 when stuck for miles in traffic doing between 50 and 60mph, that my Cooper has a whine from the transmission when power is applied just between those speeds, really annoying it is. Other gears and speeds are fine, and it stops if you lift off the throttle at those speeds.

It's going in tomorrow for the dealer to have a look at - anyone else with a Cooper noticed this?:question:

YES my car does it too:)

3GGG
27th July 2004, 04:26 AM
John, I can't believe that you have ever driven at 60MPH in 5th gear!:D;)

I got this interesting reply on M2:

quote:
5th gear sits in it's own little compartment at the end of the gearbox and is covered by a plate which is of much thinner material than the rest of the gearbox - Oil has to get in and out of it somehow and I'd guess a hydraulic type noise is caused by this - my 2p - for what it's worth 5th gear can be inspected and replaced if neccessary without removing the box

GAJ
27th July 2004, 04:31 AM
Now I really shouldn't say this cos I know what will happen but I have no creaks, squeeks, knocks or rattles at the moment. Please everyone, touch wood with me! I do have a bad vibration coming from the offside front wheel at 70-75 though. I think I might have lost a stick-on weight, just hope I dont have a new flat spot on that wheel. That would be a nightmare; I'm actually a bit scared to have it looked at, just in case!

I don't think I have any whine, though - have you checked that your music isn't too quiet?

;);)

Steve74
27th July 2004, 06:32 AM
It's aspiring to have a supercharger! ;)

3GGG
27th July 2004, 08:32 PM
Checked out today by mechanic, noise level nothing to worry about (unless it gets significantly worse). Going in for replacement door lock and air vent grills next ...

3GGG
28th July 2004, 10:37 PM
When the car was in for the other work today, the mechanic test drove it himself and noticed that the general noise level in the cabin seemed too high from the driver's side.

He found that the grommet around the steering column had popped out and that was letting a lot of extra noise through the bulkhead. Its like driving a new car now:) The 5th gear whine is at a very low level now.

Gismo
28th July 2004, 10:57 PM
You could always pretend it was a supercharger ;)

3GGG
29th July 2004, 01:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

You could always pretend it was a supercharger ;)

Grrr if one more person says that...:evil:;):I

MartinSullivan
29th July 2004, 02:20 AM
3GGG was the whine produced by your gearbox similar to the beautiful sound of a Mini supercharger?

3GGG
29th July 2004, 04:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

3GGG was the whine produced by your gearbox similar to the beautiful sound of a Mini supercharger?

Yawn :sleepy::sleepy:

X30YES
29th July 2004, 05:22 AM
They do like to 'whine' on David ....try some loud sounds like supercharger .....emmmm sorry supertramp or super trooper da da da dada:eek:..:dead: